HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM

Yamaha Rhino

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Events  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Welcome to the forum!! also check us out at hotrodforums.net

Who is online?
In total there are 29 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 29 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 207 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:13 pm
Latest topics
» forum back open for posting
cage chop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 16, 2023 1:17 pm by RADICAL RAM

» rhino 660 hid visionx headlights for sale
cage chop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 4:54 pm by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» New JBS Extreme sheave milling
cage chop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 1:28 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» NEW FORUM!
cage chop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 12:35 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
cage chop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 11:01 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Forgot what the new sites name is?????
cage chop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 10:59 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Truck picture thread.
cage chop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 9:33 am by Tacoclaw

» go to new forum for tonight
cage chop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:50 am by chuddly

» First rhino 09 450
cage chop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:47 am by chuddly

Top posters
WV Hot Rod Rhino
cage chop - Page 2 Vote_lcapcage chop - Page 2 Voting_barcage chop - Page 2 Vote_rcap 
madmax 1
cage chop - Page 2 Vote_lcapcage chop - Page 2 Voting_barcage chop - Page 2 Vote_rcap 
REDRHINO64
ASPENDELLROVER
T.Rhino
123.bert0621
Firefighter
rhino727
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13
flimmy
Most Viewed Topics
Rhino 700 Electrical Problem - Solved!
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
NEW FORUM!
Sand Reeper
Hello hot rod forum
What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
go to new forum for tonight
09 700 not charging when running
Want Some Bigger Tires for the Rhino
How To Check Your Rhino 700 TPS
Most active topics
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
ALBA 734 Big Bore for 2011 Rhino 700
Picture Gallery
Truck picture thread.
What do you do for a living ?
New Yamaha SXS coming June 11 2013??.
EZ Steer Power Steering install
BUMPERS rhino.... evergoing build thread
Looking for a better holeshot
Show Your House/Compound
Top posting users this week
No user
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

cage chop

Go down 
+9
thePayne
123.bert0621
08Rhino450SE
thekevin
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Pokahpolice
UnderDawg
T.Rhino
Hump
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2
AuthorMessage
123.bert0621

123.bert0621

cage chop - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: cage chop   cage chop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 11:39 am

Cool, reminds me of a hot rod,T-bucket sort of.
Back to top Go down
thekevin

thekevin

cage chop - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: cage chop   cage chop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 12:09 pm

after you cut the slits was it easy to bend and did you bend it on the rhino or on the trailer.
Back to top Go down
T.Rhino

T.Rhino

cage chop - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: cage chop   cage chop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Aug 12, 2013 1:34 pm

Looks good.
Back to top Go down
Hump

Hump

cage chop - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: cage chop   cage chop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 3:01 am

thekevin wrote:
after you cut the slits was it easy to bend and did you bend it on the rhino or on the trailer.
 I cut about 1/2 way through the inside of the bend.  It was easy to bend out a little by hand but still felt strong.  If I had done a good job of grinding before paint, you wouldn't be able to tell I did it.  As far as the contour of the bend goes, it is really hard to tell anything was done.  The cut only had to open up 1/8 at the widest point to make the 3" at the bottom I needed to get it to reach.  As you can see, the added angle at the front mounts is minimal.  I'm glad I done it the way HotRod told me to.  I really like the added rake on the windshield.  It's hard to believe how much lower 4" looks.  I hated how high the sport roof was, now I think it looks great on there.  The chop really gives you a feeling like you are driving a smaller machine.  I like it. Dancing Banana
Back to top Go down
09-rhino700

09-rhino700

cage chop - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: cage chop   cage chop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 10:00 am

that looks great nice job!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Pokahpolice

Pokahpolice

cage chop - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: cage chop   cage chop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 10:32 am

no concerns about the stability of the cage after cutting it at the bend?
Back to top Go down
banchee6

banchee6

cage chop - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: cage chop   cage chop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 6:42 pm

can you point out exactly where you cut it at?  I like the look and id love to copy it to keep my stock sport roof as well... thanks
Back to top Go down
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Admin
WV Hot Rod Rhino

cage chop - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: cage chop   cage chop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 6:55 pm

you could weld in a cross bar where the cut is
Back to top Go down
REDRHINO64

REDRHINO64

cage chop - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: cage chop   cage chop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 7:44 pm

Good job!
Back to top Go down
UnderDawg

UnderDawg

cage chop - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: cage chop   cage chop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 10:13 pm

Ya did a fine job there Hump...did you have to do anything special for the headrest bar?
Back to top Go down
Hump

Hump

cage chop - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: cage chop   cage chop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 3:33 am

The headrest bar is lengthened to meet the main cage.  I just went in a straight line with it.  Had some pipe laying around that slipped tight inside the tube behind the headrests, so I just used it.  Yeah, you can tell it, but I really didn't care.  Like I said, I could have done a much better job, but it just wasn't worth all the time for a perfect factory like look.
Back to top Go down
Hump

Hump

cage chop - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: cage chop   cage chop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 3:44 am

banchee6 wrote:
can you point out exactly where you cut it at?  I like the look and id love to copy it to keep my stock sport roof as well... thanks
 If you look at the pic of the stereo, the cut was made about 2" above the very top of the grab bar on the passenger side.  Just about where you can't see anymore daylight between the cage and roof in the pic.

Anywhere near the center of the bend will work.
Back to top Go down
Hump

Hump

cage chop - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: cage chop   cage chop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 3:55 am

Pokahpolice wrote:
no concerns about the stability of the cage after cutting it at the bend?
 If done right with good tie in on the weld, not at all.  The weld itself is way harder than the tubing.  When you weld something correctly, you weakest spot is out from the sides of the weld where the steel got hot then cooled again.  It would most likely break about 1/2" from the weld if it were to break.  If it would actually rip in half, I believe I would have been in trouble with a stock cage also.  As James said, you can add a brace across the front above or below the bend.  I already have it.  That should help keep the cage from tweaking in a rollover as long as it's not one of those epic rollovers down a hill like on youtube.  I cut the back just above the upper seatbelt mounts.  You can see it in the pics.  I did slug that with a 3" pipe inside just for added piece of mind since I cut it completely in half.  My cage is a 08' cage, so this seemed like the place to take the 4" with the least amount of work.
Back to top Go down
Hump

Hump

cage chop - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: cage chop   cage chop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 3:58 am

123.bert0621 wrote:
Cool, reminds me of a hot rod,T-bucket sort of.
 It looked low and cool as hell without the roof on it.  Like a hot rod.  So cool, I didn't want to even put a roof back on it.  Gotta have a roof though.
Back to top Go down
Hump

Hump

cage chop - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: cage chop   cage chop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 4:04 am

The paint is Rustoleum rattle can bed liner from Wal-mart in the automotive section.  Matches the factory color and texture so good you could use it as a touch-up on a rhino cage or front bumper.

And, that little notch cut out in the center above the speakers...That's where the cell phone case hooks in to hold my Ipod.  How's that for some poor boy redneck shit?  Reneck
Back to top Go down
123.bert0621

123.bert0621

cage chop - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: cage chop   cage chop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 14, 2013 8:07 am

Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing
Back to top Go down
Big Dog Daddy

Big Dog Daddy

cage chop - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: cage chop   cage chop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSat Nov 16, 2013 11:54 pm

Hump can you post a pic of modification made to headrest bar. Also did you cut 4" from both front and rear post ? Just wondering because the posted pic shows 4" from rear and i think 5.75" from front.
Back to top Go down
Hump

Hump

cage chop - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: cage chop   cage chop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 17, 2013 3:32 am

Big Dog Daddy wrote:
Hump can you post a pic of modification made to headrest bar. Also did you cut 4" from both front and rear post ? Just wondering because the posted pic shows 4" from rear and i think 5.75" from front.
I will get you some pics in the morning.  I cut close to 4 1/2 both front and rear.  Top sets pretty level.  I think the only reason to cut more off the front is to make everything line up and keep the factory rake on the a pillar when you lengthen the top.  Only thing I can figure is when you lengthen the top front to rear, it throws the geometry off and gets your roof high in the front.  PS, I am no geometry guy, I just eyeball stuff like this usually with my beer goggles on.lol! 
My headrest bars are not pretty as you will see.  I just used some pipe I had on hand to get it done and didn't care what it looked like because I run the dust shield on the back 10 months out of the year anyway.  Main concern was safety.

Pics coming around noon Big Dog Daddy.
Back to top Go down
Big Dog Daddy

Big Dog Daddy

cage chop - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: cage chop   cage chop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 17, 2013 10:42 am

Thanks hump. Ya safety and rigidity to roll cage is my concern.
Back to top Go down
Hump

Hump

cage chop - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: cage chop   cage chop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 17, 2013 3:06 pm

cage chop - Page 2 Headrest_zps2291ddc7
Back to top Go down
Big Dog Daddy

Big Dog Daddy

cage chop - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: cage chop   cage chop - Page 2 Icon_minitimeSun Nov 17, 2013 6:16 pm

Thanks. Probably do mine this winter.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

cage chop - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: cage chop   cage chop - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

cage chop
Page 2 of 2Go to page : Previous  1, 2