HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM

Yamaha Rhino

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Events  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Welcome to the forum!! also check us out at hotrodforums.net

Who is online?
In total there are 37 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 37 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 207 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:13 pm
Latest topics
» forum back open for posting
Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean Icon_minitimeWed Aug 16, 2023 1:17 pm by RADICAL RAM

» rhino 660 hid visionx headlights for sale
Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 4:54 pm by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» New JBS Extreme sheave milling
Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 1:28 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» NEW FORUM!
Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 12:35 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 11:01 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Forgot what the new sites name is?????
Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 10:59 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Truck picture thread.
Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 9:33 am by Tacoclaw

» go to new forum for tonight
Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:50 am by chuddly

» First rhino 09 450
Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:47 am by chuddly

Top posters
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean Vote_lcapYour Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean Voting_barYour Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean Vote_rcap 
madmax 1
Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean Vote_lcapYour Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean Voting_barYour Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean Vote_rcap 
REDRHINO64
ASPENDELLROVER
T.Rhino
123.bert0621
Firefighter
rhino727
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13
flimmy
Most Viewed Topics
Rhino 700 Electrical Problem - Solved!
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
NEW FORUM!
Sand Reeper
Hello hot rod forum
What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
go to new forum for tonight
09 700 not charging when running
Want Some Bigger Tires for the Rhino
How To Check Your Rhino 700 TPS
Most active topics
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
ALBA 734 Big Bore for 2011 Rhino 700
Picture Gallery
Truck picture thread.
What do you do for a living ?
New Yamaha SXS coming June 11 2013??.
EZ Steer Power Steering install
BUMPERS rhino.... evergoing build thread
Looking for a better holeshot
Show Your House/Compound
Top posting users this week
No user
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean

Go down 
+7
SteveS
Kenny G
123.bert0621
08Rhino450SE
T.Rhino
wagon1
ChrisH
11 posters
AuthorMessage
ChrisH

ChrisH

Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean Empty
PostSubject: Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean   Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean Icon_minitimeThu Sep 26, 2013 11:57 pm

The last trip out, I noticed my fan seemed to be running more than usual. It's getting to be fall for us in south Texas; the temps are only reaching the low 90s. That fan was running more than it was in the summer when it was in the low 100s.

I am pretty peculiar when it comes to washing my Rhino. I spend a lot of time cleaning the radiator.

IT ISN'T ENOUGH!

So out came the radiator to see what was going on there. Have a look at some of the pics below.

Here's the radiator removed from the Rhino. It doesn't look too bad, right?

Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean Photo2_zpsfd006dbd

Let's take off that shroud and see what's back there.

Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean Photo4_zps757da826

Look closely between the rows.
SAND!

Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean Photo1_zps8cba9466

Pics are hard to show the condition of the core. Hopefully you can see a glimpse of what was blocking the airflow.

Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean Photo3_zps28b651d6

What happens to me is that I like to drive in creeks. We hit mud, don't get me wrong. But when you go in the creeks with coarse sandy bottoms and root around like wild hogs down in sandy water up the the seats for hours at a time, I guess that slurry settles in your radiator.

I'll reiterate what Rhino owners have been saying for the last 10 years,
Your radiator is not as clean as you think it is.
Seriously, unless you ride nothing but groomed trails your Rhino's radiator probably isn't as clean as you think it is. I get a water hose and clean that radiator after ever ride. I snake it through the back side of the fan and back flush as best I can between the fan blades. I have a special nozzle that fits between the oil cooler and the radiator. It didn't matter for me.

Those things help. Don't get me wrong. It's better than nothing. However, these Rhino 700 radiators need to really be back flushed to truly clean them.

study
Back to top Go down
wagon1

wagon1

PostSubject: Re: Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean   Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 6:45 am

spot on. i take mine (660) of once a year now atlest as i found that was the best way to really get it clean. my cousin has a new 700 and over heated on a ride in bergoo cuz he got in some mud. u got to keep the macjine co or its going to cost u.
Back to top Go down
http://www.sawdy.com
T.Rhino

T.Rhino

PostSubject: Re: Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean   Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 7:00 am

Great point. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
ChrisH

ChrisH

PostSubject: Re: Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean   Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 10:49 am

I didn't mean to sound like I was preaching. It never ceases to amaze me how much crud builds up in the radiator.
Back to top Go down
08Rhino450SE

08Rhino450SE

PostSubject: Re: Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean   Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 10:53 am

Dangit, Chris. You keep finding maintenance chores for me to do. I just wanna ride bounce 

Good write-up as usual!
Back to top Go down
123.bert0621

123.bert0621

PostSubject: Re: Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean   Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 11:26 am

Very important to keep it clean,every time you wash your machine wash the radiator, red light has come on in the past even with a clean looking radiator!
Back to top Go down
Kenny G

Kenny G

PostSubject: Re: Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean   Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 11:30 am

Chris, do you have to use a power washer to knock the fine course aggregrates wedged in the fins out? I'd guess some of them don't come out. The thought of rooting around in a creek in Wyoming would get you shot here. World class trout fishing is big business around here. X2 Denny, I haven't had the Rhino off the mountain sense I took it up there in May. It looks like a hog that's been out wallowing in the mud. Good write up with pic!!!
Back to top Go down
ChrisH

ChrisH

PostSubject: Re: Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean   Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 12:23 pm

Kenny G wrote:
Chris, do you have to use a power washer to knock the fine course aggregrates wedged in the fins out? I'd guess some of them don't come out. The thought of rooting around in a creek in Wyoming would get you shot here. World class trout fishing is big business around here. X2 Denny, I haven't had the Rhino off the mountain sense I took it up there in May. It looks like a hog that's been out wallowing in the mud. Good write up with pic!!!
A lot of that small aggregate came out with the garden hose, but some is permanently embedded. LoL 

This kind of rootin' around stirs up the sand and it gets in the radiator. 

Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean Photo2_zps08ce8198

No trout or fish live in these creeks. The creek is a sandy bed with water holes ever so often. Snakes and a turtle or two in the summer. I recently went to Alaska for an extended stay. They had creeks that were bigger than our rivers... Haha!
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

PostSubject: Re: Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean   Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 1:59 pm

Great writeup Chris. Now I just need to do something about it!
Back to top Go down
banchee6

banchee6

PostSubject: Re: Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean   Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 2:07 pm

I know you don't mud ride Chris.  Just washing your bike off in the creek every now and then to keep that big block cool !!! Lmao. This is what your radiator can look like coming out of a bumper deep mud hole. 

Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean E715DF08-6355-49C2-86DD-BCA2204E6484-357-00000058B21054FE_zpse6321ba8

One thing about those dash deep creeks. They FUN!!!!!!

Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean 6F4F5D1A-3711-47EA-A14B-47C4731FB0A4-595-00000031BD6F2EDA_zpsc91451fa
Back to top Go down
ChrisH

ChrisH

PostSubject: Re: Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean   Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 2:21 pm

I wish I had a pic of the mess I got myself into a week ago. It was raining like a son of a gun and you couldn't tell what was a puddle from a hole. I found a hole. LoL

It was nuts, about up to the headlights on my un-snorkeled Rhino... too deep! I had all four of my 30" Bighorns churning. I'm sure that didn't help the radiator. Ha

This was a pic from when I was snorkeled. 

Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean Deepwater
Back to top Go down
banchee6

banchee6

PostSubject: Re: Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean   Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 2:24 pm

Yes buddy , better watch them little puddles. Remember the water is only as deep as it looks. Lmao

But the shit eating grin you have on your face makes it all worthwhile.
Back to top Go down
mike734

mike734

PostSubject: Re: Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean   Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean Icon_minitimeFri Sep 27, 2013 4:28 pm

good point.....im loving the pics keep em coming
Back to top Go down
wagon1

wagon1

PostSubject: Re: Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean   Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean Icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2013 8:29 am

ChrisH do those turn down spouts help with keeping the noise down in the cab of your Rhino? I do not have them and the noise in the cab is deafening sometimes. I have a full windshield so that does not help.
Back to top Go down
123.bert0621

123.bert0621

PostSubject: Re: Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean   Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean Icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2013 8:52 am

That looks like a lot of fun, great pictures Chris and Eric.
Back to top Go down
honda450sfm

honda450sfm

PostSubject: Re: Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean   Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean Icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2013 9:49 pm

Totally agree . I think the rad fins are too close together. Compared to other quads, they are one of the tightest fins out there.
That is why I relocated my rad. I would overheat halfway through the day due to the grit- mud baking in the fins.
Back to top Go down
Ole Nasty

Ole Nasty

PostSubject: Re: Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean   Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean Icon_minitimeSat Sep 28, 2013 11:19 pm

honda450sfm wrote:
Totally agree . I think the rad fins are too close together. Compared to other quads, they are one of the tightest fins out there.
That is why I relocated my rad. I would overheat halfway through the day due to the grit- mud baking in the fins.
Got any pics of your relocate?  I'm probably gonna have to relocate mine soon, lol.
Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean 1236987_10200667380667229_1264255857_n
Back to top Go down
wagon1

wagon1

PostSubject: Re: Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean   Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean Icon_minitimeSun Sep 29, 2013 3:28 pm

You just gave a new definition to "water cooled" Very Happy lol!
Back to top Go down
banchee6

banchee6

PostSubject: Re: Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean   Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean Icon_minitimeSun Sep 29, 2013 3:45 pm

I would love to stick mine behind my head, but my daughter rides in the back. The excess heat, and her being out of view just don't work for me.
Back to top Go down
Ole Nasty

Ole Nasty

PostSubject: Re: Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean   Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean Icon_minitimeSun Sep 29, 2013 5:13 pm

Same here.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean   Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean
Page 1 of 1