HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM

Yamaha Rhino

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Events  CalendarCalendar  FAQFAQ  SearchSearch  MemberlistMemberlist  UsergroupsUsergroups  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Welcome to the forum!! also check us out at hotrodforums.net

Who is online?
In total there are 13 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 13 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 207 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:13 pm
Latest topics
» rhino 660 hid visionx headlights for sale
Thu Dec 14, 2017 4:54 pm by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» New JBS Extreme sheave milling
Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:28 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» forum back open for posting
Thu Dec 14, 2017 1:24 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» NEW FORUM!
Thu Dec 14, 2017 12:35 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
Fri Dec 13, 2013 11:01 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Forgot what the new sites name is?????
Fri Dec 13, 2013 10:59 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Truck picture thread.
Fri Dec 13, 2013 9:33 am by Tacoclaw

» go to new forum for tonight
Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:50 am by chuddly

» First rhino 09 450
Fri Dec 13, 2013 7:47 am by chuddly

Top posters
WV Hot Rod Rhino

madmax 1

REDRHINO64

ASPENDELLROVER

T.Rhino

123.bert0621

Firefighter

rhino727

CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

flimmy

Most Viewed Topics
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
Hello hot rod forum
NEW 2014 SxS PHOTOS....................
ALBA 734 Big Bore for 2011 Rhino 700
Picture Gallery
NEW FORUM!
What do you do for a living ?
Hunterworks misleading rhino owners again
BUMPERS rhino.... evergoing build thread
Sand Reeper
Most active topics
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
ALBA 734 Big Bore for 2011 Rhino 700
Picture Gallery
Truck picture thread.
What do you do for a living ?
New Yamaha SXS coming June 11 2013??.
EZ Steer Power Steering install
BUMPERS rhino.... evergoing build thread
Show Your House/Compound
Looking for a better holeshot
Top posting users this week
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Share | 

Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean

Go down 
AuthorMessage
ChrisH

PostSubject: Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean   Thu Sep 26, 2013 11:57 pm

The last trip out, I noticed my fan seemed to be running more than usual. It's getting to be fall for us in south Texas; the temps are only reaching the low 90s. That fan was running more than it was in the summer when it was in the low 100s.

I am pretty peculiar when it comes to washing my Rhino. I spend a lot of time cleaning the radiator.

IT ISN'T ENOUGH!

So out came the radiator to see what was going on there. Have a look at some of the pics below.

Here's the radiator removed from the Rhino. It doesn't look too bad, right?

Let's take off that shroud and see what's back there.

Look closely between the rows.
SAND!

Pics are hard to show the condition of the core. Hopefully you can see a glimpse of what was blocking the airflow.

What happens to me is that I like to drive in creeks. We hit mud, don't get me wrong. But when you go in the creeks with coarse sandy bottoms and root around like wild hogs down in sandy water up the the seats for hours at a time, I guess that slurry settles in your radiator.

I'll reiterate what Rhino owners have been saying for the last 10 years,
Your radiator is not as clean as you think it is.
Seriously, unless you ride nothing but groomed trails your Rhino's radiator probably isn't as clean as you think it is. I get a water hose and clean that radiator after ever ride. I snake it through the back side of the fan and back flush as best I can between the fan blades. I have a special nozzle that fits between the oil cooler and the radiator. It didn't matter for me.

Those things help. Don't get me wrong. It's better than nothing. However, these Rhino 700 radiators need to really be back flushed to truly clean them.

study

4500lb Warn
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wagon1

PostSubject: Re: Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean   Fri Sep 27, 2013 6:45 am

spot on. i take mine (660) of once a year now atlest as i found that was the best way to really get it clean. my cousin has a new 700 and over heated on a ride in bergoo cuz he got in some mud. u got to keep the macjine co or its going to cost u.

2007 Rhino 660 JBS Sheave, Orange Spring, Hunterworks Tri-Fire CDI, Air box mod, Muzzy Exhaust, Dyno Jet Carb kit, 700 Belt, Viper 5000 winch, LED Light bar, 14" ITP Rims w Pro Comp tires, Siezmik full enclosure and center console.
Back to top Go down
View user profile http://www.sawdy.com
T.Rhino

PostSubject: Re: Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean   Fri Sep 27, 2013 7:00 am

Great point. Thanks.

Power steering
Tilt wheel
Suspinsion seats
Muzzy dual exshaust
Stage 4 elka shocks
Pit bull 26.5 Rockers
Bored throttle body
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChrisH

PostSubject: Re: Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean   Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:49 am

I didn't mean to sound like I was preaching. It never ceases to amaze me how much crud builds up in the radiator.

4500lb Warn
Back to top Go down
View user profile
08Rhino450SE

PostSubject: Re: Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean   Fri Sep 27, 2013 10:53 am

Dangit, Chris. You keep finding maintenance chores for me to do. I just wanna ride bounce 

Good write-up as usual!

Authorized Member of the Hotrod Rhino Old Farts Club
Proud Attendee of the Most Awesome Inaugural Hotrod Rhino Forum Ride
Back to top Go down
View user profile
123.bert0621

PostSubject: Re: Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean   Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:26 am

Very important to keep it clean,every time you wash your machine wash the radiator, red light has come on in the past even with a clean looking radiator!

2008 Sport Edition 700,MSD fuel controller,Brink Enterprise floor guards,RMstator,Tusk rear window,1/2 windshield,hid's,on board compressor,airhorn,K&N,Traxion Grippers,Sirius XM, EBC severe duty brakes,Baja mirrors, Warn RT 30 winch,LED box lights.2"rear spacers,2"lift,no rear sway bar,fender flares, VDP Stereo,homemade rear bumper,Axia black stainless epoxy tip,JBS sheave OD-18gr,purple spring,anti-friction washers,10"LED.Hot rod rear aluminium skid plate, RZR seats. I see a lot of feathers but not much chicken !!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Kenny G

PostSubject: Re: Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean   Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:30 am

Chris, do you have to use a power washer to knock the fine course aggregrates wedged in the fins out? I'd guess some of them don't come out. The thought of rooting around in a creek in Wyoming would get you shot here. World class trout fishing is big business around here. X2 Denny, I haven't had the Rhino off the mountain sense I took it up there in May. It looks like a hog that's been out wallowing in the mud. Good write up with pic!!!

06/450;JBS HR Sheave/12gr;Blue Spring;K&N Air/04 Style;HF Fuel Pump;Axia Tip;Dyna CDI;27X14 Mudlite/ITP/SS;2" All Four Corners;3" Xtreme Lift;Seizmik Versa Shield;Custom 2 Seat Cage;Digital Dash;Yamaha 2" Fender Flares/3 Spoke Wheelin Wheel;CRB Diff Support;EMP Rear Step Bumper;Warn Winch;Ryde-On Blanket;BR Graphics;
08/700 SE;Stocker
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChrisH

PostSubject: Re: Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean   Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:23 pm

Kenny G wrote:
Chris, do you have to use a power washer to knock the fine course aggregrates wedged in the fins out? I'd guess some of them don't come out. The thought of rooting around in a creek in Wyoming would get you shot here. World class trout fishing is big business around here. X2 Denny, I haven't had the Rhino off the mountain sense I took it up there in May. It looks like a hog that's been out wallowing in the mud. Good write up with pic!!!
A lot of that small aggregate came out with the garden hose, but some is permanently embedded. LoL 

This kind of rootin' around stirs up the sand and it gets in the radiator

No trout or fish live in these creeks. The creek is a sandy bed with water holes ever so often. Snakes and a turtle or two in the summer. I recently went to Alaska for an extended stay. They had creeks that were bigger than our rivers... Haha!

4500lb Warn
Back to top Go down
View user profile
SteveS

PostSubject: Re: Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean   Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:59 pm

Great writeup Chris. Now I just need to do something about it!

...............#
Back to top Go down
View user profile
banchee6

PostSubject: Re: Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean   Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:07 pm

I know you don't mud ride Chris.  Just washing your bike off in the creek every now and then to keep that big block cool !!! Lmao. This is what your radiator can look like coming out of a bumper deep mud hole. 

One thing about those dash deep creeks. They FUN!!!!!!

2014 RZR 800S LE, 29.5 Terminators on 14" MSA Kore black wheels, 2"-3" Super Atv Lift, Ice Blue LEDs
30" LED Light Bar, Alpine 5 Channel Amp
6. 6" Kicker 2Way's with 1. 10" Kicker Sub
Custom Painted/Powder Coated Roof, Laser Etched Switched On Dash, Dual Batteries, Extra Fuse Block

Look up CoonAss Slingers on Facebook,, We always riding some wheres......
Back to top Go down
View user profile
ChrisH

PostSubject: Re: Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean   Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:21 pm

I wish I had a pic of the mess I got myself into a week ago. It was raining like a son of a gun and you couldn't tell what was a puddle from a hole. I found a hole. LoL

It was nuts, about up to the headlights on my un-snorkeled Rhino... too deep! I had all four of my 30" Bighorns churning. I'm sure that didn't help the radiator. Ha

This was a pic from when I was snorkeled. 

4500lb Warn
Back to top Go down
View user profile
banchee6

PostSubject: Re: Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean   Fri Sep 27, 2013 2:24 pm

Yes buddy , better watch them little puddles. Remember the water is only as deep as it looks. Lmao

But the shit eating grin you have on your face makes it all worthwhile.

2014 RZR 800S LE, 29.5 Terminators on 14" MSA Kore black wheels, 2"-3" Super Atv Lift, Ice Blue LEDs
Custom Painted/Powder Coated Roof, Laser Etched Switched On Dash, Dual Batteries, Extra Fuse Block

Back to top Go down
View user profile
mike734

PostSubject: Re: Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean   Fri Sep 27, 2013 4:28 pm

good point.....im loving the pics keep em coming

07 660 , jbs sheave , 2" cfm lift , 28x11x12 ITP Mega Mayhems mounted on black MSA M17`s , warn bumper , warn rt30 , str8up motorsports family cage  , emp in dash radio , full snorkles , more to come....
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wagon1

PostSubject: Re: Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean   Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:29 am

ChrisH do those turn down spouts help with keeping the noise down in the cab of your Rhino? I do not have them and the noise in the cab is deafening sometimes. I have a full windshield so that does not help.

2007 Rhino 660 JBS Sheave, Orange Spring, Hunterworks Tri-Fire CDI, Air box mod, Muzzy Exhaust, Dyno Jet Carb kit, 700 Belt, Viper 5000 winch, LED Light bar, 14" ITP Rims w Pro Comp tires, Siezmik full enclosure and center console.
Back to top Go down
123.bert0621

PostSubject: Re: Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean   Sat Sep 28, 2013 8:52 am

That looks like a lot of fun, great pictures Chris and Eric.

2008 Sport Edition 700,MSD fuel controller,Brink Enterprise floor guards,RMstator,Tusk rear window,1/2 windshield,hid's,on board compressor,airhorn,K&N,Traxion Grippers,Sirius XM, EBC severe duty brakes,Baja mirrors, Warn RT 30 winch,LED box lights.2"rear spacers,2"lift,no rear sway bar,fender flares, VDP Stereo,homemade rear bumper,Axia black stainless epoxy tip,JBS sheave OD-18gr,purple spring,anti-friction washers,10"LED.Hot rod rear aluminium skid plate, RZR seats. I see a lot of feathers but not much chicken !!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
View user profile
honda450sfm

PostSubject: Re: Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean   Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:49 pm

Totally agree . I think the rad fins are too close together. Compared to other quads, they are one of the tightest fins out there.
That is why I relocated my rad. I would overheat halfway through the day due to the grit- mud baking in the fins.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ole Nasty

PostSubject: Re: Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean   Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:19 pm

honda450sfm wrote:
Totally agree . I think the rad fins are too close together. Compared to other quads, they are one of the tightest fins out there.
That is why I relocated my rad. I would overheat halfway through the day due to the grit- mud baking in the fins.
Got any pics of your relocate?  I'm probably gonna have to relocate mine soon, lol.

29.5" Highlifter Outlaw 2s, 14" ITP Black 212s, 2" Wheel Spacers All Around, 2" HL lift, 2mm Shim Mod, EPI White Spring, Snorkeled, Radiator Relocated, Yamaha HD Bumper
My Youtube Channel-www.youtube.com/user/OleNasty79
Back to top Go down
View user profile
wagon1

PostSubject: Re: Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean   Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:28 pm

You just gave a new definition to "water cooled" Very Happy lol!

Back to top Go down
banchee6

PostSubject: Re: Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean   Sun Sep 29, 2013 3:45 pm

I would love to stick mine behind my head, but my daughter rides in the back. The excess heat, and her being out of view just don't work for me.

Back to top Go down
View user profile
Ole Nasty

PostSubject: Re: Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean   Sun Sep 29, 2013 5:13 pm

Same here.

29.5" Highlifter Outlaw 2s, 14" ITP Black 212s, 2" Wheel Spacers All Around, 2" HL lift, 2mm Shim Mod, EPI White Spring, Snorkeled, Radiator Relocated, Yamaha HD Bumper
My Youtube Channel-www.youtube.com/user/OleNasty79
Back to top Go down
View user profile
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean   

Back to top Go down

Your Radiator: You Just Thought It was Clean
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM :: Technical :: Engine-
Jump to: