HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM

Yamaha Rhino

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Events  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Welcome to the forum!! also check us out at hotrodforums.net

Who is online?
In total there are 24 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 24 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 207 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:13 pm
Latest topics
» forum back open for posting
why did you buy a rhino? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 16, 2023 1:17 pm by RADICAL RAM

» rhino 660 hid visionx headlights for sale
why did you buy a rhino? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 4:54 pm by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» New JBS Extreme sheave milling
why did you buy a rhino? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 1:28 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» NEW FORUM!
why did you buy a rhino? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 12:35 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
why did you buy a rhino? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 11:01 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Forgot what the new sites name is?????
why did you buy a rhino? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 10:59 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Truck picture thread.
why did you buy a rhino? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 9:33 am by Tacoclaw

» go to new forum for tonight
why did you buy a rhino? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:50 am by chuddly

» First rhino 09 450
why did you buy a rhino? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:47 am by chuddly

Top posters
WV Hot Rod Rhino
why did you buy a rhino? Vote_lcapwhy did you buy a rhino? Voting_barwhy did you buy a rhino? Vote_rcap 
madmax 1
why did you buy a rhino? Vote_lcapwhy did you buy a rhino? Voting_barwhy did you buy a rhino? Vote_rcap 
REDRHINO64
ASPENDELLROVER
T.Rhino
123.bert0621
Firefighter
rhino727
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13
flimmy
Most Viewed Topics
Rhino 700 Electrical Problem - Solved!
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
NEW FORUM!
Sand Reeper
Hello hot rod forum
What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
go to new forum for tonight
09 700 not charging when running
Want Some Bigger Tires for the Rhino
How To Check Your Rhino 700 TPS
Most active topics
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
ALBA 734 Big Bore for 2011 Rhino 700
Picture Gallery
Truck picture thread.
What do you do for a living ?
New Yamaha SXS coming June 11 2013??.
EZ Steer Power Steering install
BUMPERS rhino.... evergoing build thread
Looking for a better holeshot
Show Your House/Compound
Top posting users this week
No user
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

why did you buy a rhino?

Go down 
+20
chuddly
RhinoGT350
rhino727
REDRHINO64
thekrust
Snorhino
08Rhino450SE
ChrisH
sls666
meats
RHINOMOON
Yotehunter66
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13
Firefighter
Bumpers
Workhorserhino
EddieMc
madmax 1
banchee6
rockin rhino
24 posters
AuthorMessage
rockin rhino

rockin rhino

why did you buy a rhino? Empty
PostSubject: why did you buy a rhino?   why did you buy a rhino? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 2:02 pm

i thought it would be a neat topic
what made you decide to buy a rhino over everything else out there?
i have a few reasons
1st i bought a 2007 450 grizzly from a frend and i knew it had the hell beat out of it
and it still ran perfict it wasnt a power house but it was reliable and i trusted more than my 2010 sportsman

2nd my dad has a 92 timberwolf and i have been beat the hell out of that for over 10yrs
and still runs perfict

also i frend of a frend has beed a rhino fan for yrs he has had a few
and was telling me storys of what he had put them thro and he had beat the hell out them
like you wouldnt belive
i did drive a rzr and the power was nice but it felt like a cheap go kart you would buy from fleet farm
so i decided that i wanted reliabilty over power
since i have built many v8 motors when we used to 4x4 truck pull
i knew i could get power out of it in time and i like a challange
so here i am with my 06 660 se and i love it even tho it isnt a power house
all the power in the world is no good if your broke down on the trail
and that rzr i test drove was buddys of mine and he sold it cause it broke down all the time
you just cant stop a yamaha
Back to top Go down
banchee6

banchee6

PostSubject: Re: why did you buy a rhino?   why did you buy a rhino? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 3:26 pm

I've been a Honda and Yamaha fan for years. Got into drag racing Yamaha Banshee's while back and I wanted something I could haul some tools, paddle tires and ice chest in. Ranger was way to wide and the rhino was better looking, cleaner set up and fun to cruise in. Never knew it was going to my main transportation now. Mud, water, sand, highway. The rhino is king!!!!!
Back to top Go down
madmax 1

madmax 1

PostSubject: Re: why did you buy a rhino?   why did you buy a rhino? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 3:38 pm

wanted something with more room than my 05 grizzly for the wife and the dogs, no regrets i'm a Yamaha man for life
Back to top Go down
EddieMc

EddieMc

PostSubject: Re: why did you buy a rhino?   why did you buy a rhino? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 3:42 pm

About died on my yfz450 out riding w my wife and buddy so while I was in the hospital she said they g2g traded my atvs for a rhino and just love the look. Now if I'd stop spending money on it
Back to top Go down
Workhorserhino

Workhorserhino

PostSubject: Re: why did you buy a rhino?   why did you buy a rhino? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 3:47 pm

I borrowed a friends several years back to get a deer I shot. Had hurt my knee at work and couldn't get her to the trail. He brought over his new 08 Rhino and we drove right up to her. That was it, traded my snowmobile in on a 09. This thing has done everything I've asked it to. It has climbed hills, moved logs, hauled everything I can think of up the hill and down. It has not broken once! I change all the fluids on a regular basis. The Rhino is KING !!!! I don't care what they say about any of the utv's. It may be slower, but I'm getting home in my Rhino! I don't think I would buy a new Rhino even if they improved it. My 09 Rhino has earned it's spot in driveway. I love my Rhino!!!!
Back to top Go down
Bumpers

Bumpers

PostSubject: Re: why did you buy a rhino?   why did you buy a rhino? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 3:50 pm

I could pay for it in cash lol
Back to top Go down
Firefighter

Firefighter

PostSubject: Re: why did you buy a rhino?   why did you buy a rhino? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 4:02 pm

Great topic Rockin Rhino !

I was all Honda for many years till I happened onto a great deal on a pair of Polaris 4 wheelers. Loved em ! Since then I have owned 3 Polaris 4wheels with basically 0 issues. Don't remember why, but I got the idea I wanted a SxS. Looked for a long time and ended up the second man in line for an awesome deal on a razr s . First guy ended up buying after 2 weeks of kicking around with it. Back to a search for a bargain. Found a smoking hot deal 100 miles away on a Rhino 700, but the guy had no title and didn't seem to care to get one. At the point of giving up or considering a new one, a friend on my son's posted a deal on Craigslist for an 07 660 with 500 miles on it,26in tires,wheels,top,windshield, back glass......I bought it !

Have set in a razr since and did not like how it sets like a car. The Rhino, to me sits more like a truck and I like that ! I have thought a few times about selling it and buying a razr. I just love their power and longer travel suspension.

A few months after buying, I got into the Rhino forum and started modifying. This helped a lot. Gave Dr. Davis at JBS a call and I was hooked. He spoke of great things. Power to be had, smoother CVT operation, creature features, more HP. Saved up some coins and bought in !

After some great mods and a super awesome Forum with a bunch of "Hicks", You could not pry my Rhino at of my dying hands with a jackhammer ! Absolutely love it !
Back to top Go down
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

PostSubject: Re: why did you buy a rhino?   why did you buy a rhino? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 5:02 pm

We got a steel on it for 3500 bucks. We worked some of it off and it was beat to hell too. Mismatched wheels faded and ripped roof. So far its been a blastwhy did you buy a rhino? 2016508534
Back to top Go down
Yotehunter66
Yotehunter66

PostSubject: Re: why did you buy a rhino?   why did you buy a rhino? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 5:33 pm

I could afford It.
Back to top Go down
RHINOMOON

RHINOMOON

PostSubject: Re: why did you buy a rhino?   why did you buy a rhino? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 6:05 pm

it was 2008 and there wasnt anything out there that i knew about. and i like yamaha
Back to top Go down
meats

meats

PostSubject: Re: why did you buy a rhino?   why did you buy a rhino? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 7:07 pm

bought my 1st yamaha in 2001 it was a wolverine, i put about 10,000 hard miles on it then i bought a 06 grizzly 660 and loved it so i figured the rhino could handle my driving
Back to top Go down
sls666

sls666

PostSubject: Re: why did you buy a rhino?   why did you buy a rhino? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 7:21 pm

I personally bought a rhino because at the time it was the only one out there i could take my dog, hes a bull mastiff -a cooler a beer and a few tools. I really drive the piss outa mine and to this day its never left me stranded not even once but pulled alot of rzrs and rangers out of the bush. There's really nothing better than taking 22 hp and doing what other assholes need 85 to do. I recently was going to buy a mavrick but decided the clutch problems were too much to deal with im going to wait and see what Yamaha brings to the table in June i can only hope its half as fun as mine has been for me
Back to top Go down
ChrisH

ChrisH

PostSubject: Re: why did you buy a rhino?   why did you buy a rhino? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 7:44 pm

I bought a Rhino because I like the size. It's bigger and more roomy inside the cab than a RZR. On the other hand, it;s smaller than the Ranger. The size was right for two adults and a bunch of gear.

I also like the Rhino because of the dual-purpose use of the vehicle. It's more utility than a RZR but more sporty than a Ranger. The Rhino can do both aggressive riding and utility duties.

The Rhino was also high on my list because of its 4WD system. The Polaris AWD system is not for me. Honestly, I hate it. For what I want to do, there couldn't be a more bass-ackward way to power the front wheels of a vehicle. When I put a vehicle in 4WD, it better be in 4WD whether I'm on the brakes or on the gas, whether I'm spinning or whether I'm parked. Having to lose traction before you get the front end to pull is just counter intuitive. Yeah, I know it's like minuscule one-fifth a tire revolution but still, the fact that it reverts back to 2WD once traction is regained is messed up.

The Yamaha On-Command 4WD system is the way God intended 4WD to be.
Shocked

[Well, if you could control the rear diff the way you control the front diff; that's actually the way God intended 4WD. But close enough, lol!]

The Can-Am "Visco-Lok" is better than the Polaris in that the drivetrain at least stays in 4WD when you engage 4WD but it's worse than the Polaris in that the front differential is nothing more than a glorified limited slip. 3WD is a bummer; ask any Honda owner! Junk! Sure the Can-Am front diff will lock but unless you got a QE front diff, you better be a patient man. The low traction tire has to spin 4, 5, 6, or more times before the fluid pump engages the high traction tire. I don't know about you but once my tires spin over 4 or five times in a technical riding environment, I need to re-evaluate what the heck I'm doing if I have not yet already rolled over or dug down to the frame. Oh, did I mention that once the tires "lock" or you let off the throttle, the process of re-engagement starts over? Not cool.

The Rhino is old. It is slow. It doesn't really do one thing particularly well.

However, the Yamaha Rhino is proven. These are the rigs that will be running in 5 years when similar aged Polaris' and Can-Ams have long been traded off and sold because "it had some issues and I didn't want to sink any money into it." The Rhino is like the trusty rifle you keep under the seat in your truck. I got a helluva lot more powerful and fancier guns in the closet at the house but that stupid Winchester Model 94 .30-.30 in my truck has had lots more use, way more abuse, and way less cleaning than anything else I own. My Rhino is like that. I can mistreat it and roll it on its side and run it on the rev limiter in the mud and then pull much heavier trailers than Yamaha had in mind from a real 2" receiver hitch. It's going to be there for me, and when it does break, it's not that hard to fix.

The Yamaha Rhino is no single purpose built 'wheeler. I could go out and buy an Arctic Cat Wildcat; sure, but I would have no use for that thing in the winter. I need to be able to turn around on less than an acre of property and breakover angles are important too, you know?. For a Texas Redneck, I don't just bomb through whoops all day long and need 18" of suspension. You know, 18" of wheel travel would be nice for hitting some mud holes but I hear those bevel gears aren't the most durable. It's kind of catastrophic when they blow.

Similarly with the RZR XP 900. That 88 horsepower ProStar motor has some boogie but I sure seem to be reading a lot of threads on the RZR forums about low mileage cars with blown motors. It's almost creepy that an outside like me can see trends of dusted top ends, thrown rods, and head issues on machines less than a year old. The RZR is not a well-engineered machine at the end of the day.

That's what keeps me hanging around Camp Yamaha. At the end of the day, the Rhino is a well-engineered machine. Other bikes have better features on paper but the total package is, somehow, less than the sum of its parts.

The Rhino is greater than the sum of it's parts. It has a small, single cylinder engine with 40hp at the crank. It has the least amount of suspension travel. It has the least payload of anything else with a real bed. It has the lowest top speed of anything except a 250cc class ATV. You get the point. But somehow, these parts add up to create a vehicle that can go mostly unchanged for nearly a decade and still sell surprisingly well at $11,000+ MSRP.

That's why I bought a Rhino

Last edited by ChrisH on Sat Apr 27, 2013 7:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
08Rhino450SE

08Rhino450SE

PostSubject: Re: why did you buy a rhino?   why did you buy a rhino? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 7:49 pm

it was the first and still the best sxs i could get for under 6 grand.
we ride quads a lot, and i wanted something in which i could take the grandkids for a ride in the woods.
they spend entirely too much time playing video games and not enough time in the great outdoors.
Back to top Go down
Snorhino

Snorhino

PostSubject: Re: why did you buy a rhino?   why did you buy a rhino? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 9:44 pm

Been a Yamaha guy for years snowmobiles, outboards, motorcycles, always the most reliable product out there
Back to top Go down
thekrust

thekrust

PostSubject: Re: why did you buy a rhino?   why did you buy a rhino? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 9:53 pm

Much the same as everyone else said... well engineered, very capable even tho when you see the other guys specs you seem to be not in the same league yet we still go all of the places if not more....great little side X side. Oh and I almost forgot, it packs the wife, the dog, the cooler, BBQ and some other assorted stuff that you wouldn't have room on the roof rack for on a RZR and is fun all day long!!! NUFF SAID!jocolor
Back to top Go down
REDRHINO64

REDRHINO64

PostSubject: Re: why did you buy a rhino?   why did you buy a rhino? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 10:37 pm

Because its tuff....nuff said!!
Back to top Go down
rhino727

rhino727

PostSubject: Re: why did you buy a rhino?   why did you buy a rhino? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2013 1:00 am

I have had Yamaha atv's since 1995 wolverine the original bad ass , have ran gncc with it an har scrambles ,still have it also had Yamaha super jet,blaster (for water) raced both of them , I beat the hell out of these never let me down on race day, as my son started getting bigger an hunting wanted a sxs for that reason like the looks of rhino an been a Yamaha nerd forever , even after only getting to use the rhino a little bit before it blew I would still get a Yamaha again .
because I believe that a Yamaha will go threw hell an back Cool
Back to top Go down
RhinoGT350

RhinoGT350

PostSubject: Re: why did you buy a rhino?   why did you buy a rhino? Icon_minitimeSun Apr 28, 2013 1:02 am

i not gonna lie,,, i bought mine for my wife and daughter.but i love driving it!
Back to top Go down
chuddly

chuddly

PostSubject: Re: why did you buy a rhino?   why did you buy a rhino? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 7:30 am

I got mine because it could work and play. I seem to play more than work with it but thats besides the point. It was a good mix of utility and sport. Then you throw in how reliable they are and im sold.
Back to top Go down
EddieMc

EddieMc

PostSubject: Re: why did you buy a rhino?   why did you buy a rhino? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 4:29 pm

08Rhino450SE wrote:
it was the first and still the best sxs i could get for under 6 grand.
we ride quads a lot, and i wanted something in which i could take the grandkids for a ride in the woods.
they spend entirely too much time playing video games and not enough time in the great outdoors.
x2
Back to top Go down
Kenny G

Kenny G

PostSubject: Re: why did you buy a rhino?   why did you buy a rhino? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 5:42 pm

Everything Chris said; Shit, think I'll buy another one.... Tough little Turd. Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
Rootin'Rhino

Rootin'Rhino

PostSubject: Re: why did you buy a rhino?   why did you buy a rhino? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 6:24 pm

After my brother-in-law abused his for two years I knew it was as reliable as could be. And with 4 kids you can never have to much room, plus it's like free drivers ed for them lol. I love being able to haul whatever, and whoever, and still make it through the mud!
Back to top Go down
123.bert0621

123.bert0621

PostSubject: Re: why did you buy a rhino?   why did you buy a rhino? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 6:30 pm

Liked them since I first saw them in 2003, they were the sport utility leader and the Mules, John Deere's were just not what appealed to me. There are no people in my family that enjoy the out doors, I am the only one. The trails are full of
RZR's, and haters but the Rhino does it for me.
Back to top Go down
Wingman

PostSubject: Re: why did you buy a rhino?   why did you buy a rhino? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 6:57 pm

It was the best thing out for awhile!! Now I can't afford the rest!!! I have a stock pile of parts and I know how to work on it in my sleep. The wife has a Rzr and although it is fairly new, I can already tell it ain't gonna hold up like the Rhino has!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: why did you buy a rhino?   why did you buy a rhino? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

why did you buy a rhino?
Page 1 of 1