HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM

Yamaha Rhino

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Events  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Welcome to the forum!! also check us out at hotrodforums.net

Who is online?
In total there are 29 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 29 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 207 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:13 pm
Latest topics
» forum back open for posting
Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy. Icon_minitimeWed Aug 16, 2023 1:17 pm by RADICAL RAM

» rhino 660 hid visionx headlights for sale
Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 4:54 pm by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» New JBS Extreme sheave milling
Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 1:28 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» NEW FORUM!
Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy. Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 12:35 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 11:01 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Forgot what the new sites name is?????
Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 10:59 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Truck picture thread.
Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 9:33 am by Tacoclaw

» go to new forum for tonight
Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:50 am by chuddly

» First rhino 09 450
Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy. Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:47 am by chuddly

Top posters
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy. Vote_lcapEngine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy. Voting_barEngine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy. Vote_rcap 
madmax 1
Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy. Vote_lcapEngine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy. Voting_barEngine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy. Vote_rcap 
REDRHINO64
ASPENDELLROVER
T.Rhino
123.bert0621
Firefighter
rhino727
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13
flimmy
Most Viewed Topics
Rhino 700 Electrical Problem - Solved!
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
NEW FORUM!
Sand Reeper
Hello hot rod forum
09 700 not charging when running
What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
go to new forum for tonight
Want Some Bigger Tires for the Rhino
How To Check Your Rhino 700 TPS
Most active topics
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
ALBA 734 Big Bore for 2011 Rhino 700
Picture Gallery
Truck picture thread.
What do you do for a living ?
New Yamaha SXS coming June 11 2013??.
EZ Steer Power Steering install
BUMPERS rhino.... evergoing build thread
Looking for a better holeshot
Show Your House/Compound
Top posting users this week
No user
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy.

Go down 
+9
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13
ASPENDELLROVER
WV Hot Rod Rhino
ChrisH
rhino727
banchee6
RHINOMOON
flimmy
thekevin
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
thekevin

thekevin

Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy. Empty
PostSubject: Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy.   Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy. Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2013 10:03 pm

I was looking at some 734 kits but now I am thinking that I am just going to do a standard bore 12.5:1 piston and stage 2 cam. I know I will end up having to mix some gas to get up to 100 octane but I am fine with that. I am just wandering if any of you guys have experience with the power gains between 11:1 and 12.5:1. Everything in my sig is right and I have a Dynatek DRSP-1 fuel controller to plug in to my cdi coming next week to try out.
Back to top Go down
flimmy

flimmy

PostSubject: Re: Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy.   Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy. Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2013 10:08 pm

I wouldn't go with the 12.5:1 if you have to mix gas. It just seems like it could be a real PITA. The gains would have to be big to consider that. Being able to just get gas anywhere would be worth not doing it.
Back to top Go down
http://www.trailbrightled.com
RHINOMOON

RHINOMOON

PostSubject: Re: Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy.   Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy. Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2013 11:58 pm

i agree with flimmy.. when you run outta gas and in the middle of nowhere.. now that mixed seams like pain, rather than using some of a strangers that has some.. id talk to CHRISH, he just did the 734. good luck
Back to top Go down
banchee6

banchee6

PostSubject: Re: Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy.   Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy. Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 7:50 am

I agree with staying away from mixing gas. If it was a race rhino I'd say go for it. ChrisH loves this big bore. But he had one great combo. Might wanna talk to him. He's a great guy to get good info from. I'd look into the brazzar auto tune as well. Looks like a good system. I'm considering getting me on soon.
Back to top Go down
rhino727

rhino727

PostSubject: Re: Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy.   Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy. Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 8:12 am

I 've done it in the past with my skies , they are right about the PIA, had to find the race additive ,ship it { an I think now its even worst to ship} but you can tell a big difference at least on a two cylinder - two stroke jet-ski
Back to top Go down
ChrisH

ChrisH

PostSubject: Re: Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy.   Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy. Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 10:08 am

If you are going to go to the trouble of tearing into your motor, then add the additional displacement. And if you are convinced you want to run 12.5:1 compression, then do it with the 734cc. The Alba kit lists a 12:1 piston with their 734 kit; however, they also have the lower 11:1 piston which lets you use pump gas.

I went with the 11:1 piston because the Rhino, when modded, uses some fuel. Even with stock motor and a cam and exhaust, I could burn a whole tank in less than a day. It's nice to get gas anywhere.

I am not sure how much power you sacrifice with 11:1 compression versus 12.5:1. If you are trying to wring every ounce of juice out of the motor, then you know what you gotta do.

Back to top Go down
thekevin

thekevin

PostSubject: Re: Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy.   Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy. Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 10:47 am

My thoughts on mixing my fuel was just to buy vp113 in 30 gallon drums and mix it with E0 93 octane that I buy here locally to get 100 octane for the 12.5:1 734 kit I found. I wonder if I sacrifice any dependability going 12.5:1 instead of 11:1. My dealer here that does all my work gets their kits through Trinity and I am looking to find out what compression ratios they offer. I found the 12.5 734 kit on Ebay so I figured some of these other companies offered it, it was using a CP piston.
Back to top Go down
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Admin
WV Hot Rod Rhino

PostSubject: Re: Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy.   Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy. Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 11:27 am

i got some nice heads..lol
Back to top Go down
thekevin

thekevin

PostSubject: Re: Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy.   Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy. Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 11:37 am

That is definitely on the list. Why did you only go 10:1 James.
Back to top Go down
thekevin

thekevin

PostSubject: Re: Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy.   Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy. Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 3:28 pm

Well I just pulled the trigger on a 11:1 JE stock bore piston and Stage 3 Hotcam. We will see how this works out.
Back to top Go down
ASPENDELLROVER

ASPENDELLROVER

PostSubject: Re: Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy.   Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy. Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 4:01 pm

damn brother, you must be shittin golden bricks...its gonna be bad ass...congrats
Back to top Go down
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Admin
WV Hot Rod Rhino

PostSubject: Re: Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy.   Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy. Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 4:40 pm

we have 87 octane in the holler..lol
Back to top Go down
thekevin

thekevin

PostSubject: Re: Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy.   Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy. Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 5:20 pm

I wish I had some golden bricks, instead I am just a broke ass all the time. If this doesn't give some noticeable performance increase then the Rhino will be getting sold and I am going to buy a new Maverick.
Back to top Go down
ChrisH

ChrisH

PostSubject: Re: Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy.   Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy. Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 5:46 pm

A high compression piston will give you power all across the board. While I'm not real familiar with the stage 3 cam, I can imagine that it's going to boogie real hard up on top.

Good luck!

I got a couple of questions for you about your build. What made you stay with stock bore over a big bore, and which fuel controller are you going to be using?

It looks like I'm going to be pulling my motor apart soon to figure out what's going on with an oil consumption problem, so I'm re-evaluating my build.
Back to top Go down
thekevin

thekevin

PostSubject: Re: Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy.   Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy. Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 6:47 pm

Two reasons for staying with stock bore. First is my dealer is doing the install and by staying with stock bore I will be using Yamaha gaskets and retaining my extended warranty. Second reason is simply the cost, this piston/cam installed was under $800. I found a sweet deal on the Dynatek DRSP-1 serial programmer that plugs in to my Dynatek CDI for fuel adjustments. I don't really what to expect from it so it may be short lived.

Here is the specs on the cam I bought.
Exhaust Lift:8.6mm
Exhaust Duration:255°
Intake Duration:268°
Intake Lift:10.3mm
Back to top Go down
ASPENDELLROVER

ASPENDELLROVER

PostSubject: Re: Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy.   Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy. Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 7:19 pm

just get an XP, maverick, or wildcat if speed is all you want-that seems to be your goal...$400 a month isnt that bad...lol...i like my family comfort ride that does 50 mph all day long. never had one problem but a torn CV, still on the original battery....ha, and its paid for in full...lol...keep us posted on your build
Back to top Go down
thekevin

thekevin

PostSubject: Re: Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy.   Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy. Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 7:36 pm

Speed is far from all I want. I watch these videos of the xp's and mavericks doing these hill climbs and I see the wheel speed that they are getting when climbing and I am nowhere near that. I am very happy with 65, I would just like to be able to hit it on flat ground. I would eventually like to try a gncc race with mine.
Back to top Go down
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

PostSubject: Re: Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy.   Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy. Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 11:55 pm

I can see why its so temting! Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy. 2016508534
Back to top Go down
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

PostSubject: Re: Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy.   Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy. Icon_minitimeWed May 29, 2013 11:55 pm

Back to top Go down
ASPENDELLROVER

ASPENDELLROVER

PostSubject: Re: Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy.   Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy. Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 12:31 am

yep they are bad ass, I have seen a couple can hams in the dez that sounded like a built 327 chevy..no joke, but again my rhino is paid for so....
Back to top Go down
thekevin

thekevin

PostSubject: Re: Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy.   Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy. Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 12:41 am

Thats awesome, a utv with turbo lag.

This is working out good for me, I am dropping off the Rhino tomorrow and then heading to Florida to sit my super white ass on the beach and picking it up when I get back next Thursday ready to roll and then going to break it in over the weekend.
Back to top Go down
ASPENDELLROVER

ASPENDELLROVER

PostSubject: Re: Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy.   Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy. Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 1:18 am

thekevin wrote:
Thats awesome, a utv with turbo lag.

This is working out good for me, I am dropping off the Rhino tomorrow and then heading to Florida to sit my super white ass on the beach and picking it up when I get back next Thursday ready to roll and then going to break it in over the weekend.

"Livin the dream"
Back to top Go down
rhino727

rhino727

PostSubject: Re: Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy.   Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy. Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 4:27 am

life is rough Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy. 2016508534
Back to top Go down
T.Rhino

T.Rhino

PostSubject: Re: Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy.   Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy. Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 6:56 am

If you love it build it.
Back to top Go down
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Admin
WV Hot Rod Rhino

PostSubject: Re: Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy.   Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy. Icon_minitimeThu May 30, 2013 10:03 am

CustomizedRhino13 wrote:
I can see why its so temting! Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy. 2016508534

i would bust his ass out of the hole...lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy.   Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Engine upgrades, tell me if I am crazy.
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next