HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM

Yamaha Rhino

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Events  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Welcome to the forum!! also check us out at hotrodforums.net

Who is online?
In total there are 35 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 35 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 207 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:13 pm
Latest topics
» forum back open for posting
The Rhino alternator, what can it handle Icon_minitimeWed Aug 16, 2023 1:17 pm by RADICAL RAM

» rhino 660 hid visionx headlights for sale
The Rhino alternator, what can it handle Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 4:54 pm by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» New JBS Extreme sheave milling
The Rhino alternator, what can it handle Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 1:28 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» NEW FORUM!
The Rhino alternator, what can it handle Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 12:35 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
The Rhino alternator, what can it handle Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 11:01 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Forgot what the new sites name is?????
The Rhino alternator, what can it handle Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 10:59 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Truck picture thread.
The Rhino alternator, what can it handle Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 9:33 am by Tacoclaw

» go to new forum for tonight
The Rhino alternator, what can it handle Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:50 am by chuddly

» First rhino 09 450
The Rhino alternator, what can it handle Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:47 am by chuddly

Top posters
WV Hot Rod Rhino
The Rhino alternator, what can it handle Vote_lcapThe Rhino alternator, what can it handle Voting_barThe Rhino alternator, what can it handle Vote_rcap 
madmax 1
The Rhino alternator, what can it handle Vote_lcapThe Rhino alternator, what can it handle Voting_barThe Rhino alternator, what can it handle Vote_rcap 
REDRHINO64
ASPENDELLROVER
T.Rhino
123.bert0621
Firefighter
rhino727
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13
flimmy
Most Viewed Topics
Rhino 700 Electrical Problem - Solved!
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
NEW FORUM!
Sand Reeper
Hello hot rod forum
09 700 not charging when running
What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
go to new forum for tonight
Want Some Bigger Tires for the Rhino
How To Check Your Rhino 700 TPS
Most active topics
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
ALBA 734 Big Bore for 2011 Rhino 700
Picture Gallery
Truck picture thread.
What do you do for a living ?
New Yamaha SXS coming June 11 2013??.
EZ Steer Power Steering install
BUMPERS rhino.... evergoing build thread
Looking for a better holeshot
Show Your House/Compound
Top posting users this week
No user
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

The Rhino alternator, what can it handle

Go down 
+6
08Rhino450SE
soarkrebel
SteveS
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13
Firefighter
theGerg
10 posters
AuthorMessage
theGerg

The Rhino alternator, what can it handle Empty
PostSubject: The Rhino alternator, what can it handle   The Rhino alternator, what can it handle Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 7:54 pm

How big of a stereo/draw can the rhino stock alternator handle? I have a stereo system from my old car just sitting in my garage that I thought might be fun to slap into my rhino. I have a 1000w sub amp that would be pushing around 650w, and a 450w mid amp that would be maxed out, as well as a capacitor...is this too much? No light bars or anything else for me at this point in time anyway, all other electrical draws would be stock on my 09 700.
Back to top Go down
Firefighter

Firefighter

PostSubject: Re: The Rhino alternator, what can it handle   The Rhino alternator, what can it handle Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 8:03 pm

That is a bunch ! Good thing is the 700 has a better stator than the 660. I think the only way You will be able to tell, is to hook it up and see what the draw is. I do run an amp in mine and so far so good ! My amp is only a 250 watt with no stereo. I run a dual battery system with all accessories on the secondary battery and a smart switch connecting the batteries. When able, the stator charges both batteries, but if draw is to much, I only drain second battery. Maybe someone will chime in that has a system like You have !
Back to top Go down
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

PostSubject: Re: The Rhino alternator, what can it handle   The Rhino alternator, what can it handle Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 8:35 pm

I have a Kenwood head unit hooked up to one Bose and another siren speaker. No amps and I can still hear it over the motor. So far so good.
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

PostSubject: Re: The Rhino alternator, what can it handle   The Rhino alternator, what can it handle Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 8:54 pm

The Rhino alternator, what can it handle Regtestchart92904wa7

Here is a study that I did on the 660 charging system a long while ago. The 2 columns on the right are for the stock 660 setup and the 2 columns on the left are for an aftermarket Rectifier/Regulator module installed in place of the stock R/R. Of the 2 column sets, the left column is with the engine at idle and the right column is with the enine running at mid RPM. You can see a 10% or so improvement with the aftermarket R/R. The 700 stator is supposed to be higher performance than the 660, to the tune of 300 Watts vs. 250 Watts (around 20%),from what I understand. However, it seems to me that there have been more problems reported with the 700 stators burning up, than those of the 660's. The newest 700's supposedly have an extra oil line directed to the stator for extra cooling, but this is a very new thing and I am not clear on the actual improvement.

You can run a test like this with a voltmeter on the battery terminals with the equipment off as compared to on full-blast. You should find that the battery voltage will be at right around 12.7 Volts with the ignition switch off. If not, get the battery up to a stable full charge (wall powered charger) to make this a valid test, as a weak battery draws current from the charging system until it is fully charged. When you have the engine running but no auxilliary load, you should see the higher voltage seen toward the top of the charts. When you run the engine and you add the auxilliary load you will see the voltage droop. When the voltage droops to 12.7 Volts, you are drawing as much current as the charging system can provide. When it droops below that, you are drawing power from the battery itself to satisfy the auxilliary load.

I hope that helps.
Back to top Go down
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

PostSubject: Re: The Rhino alternator, what can it handle   The Rhino alternator, what can it handle Icon_minitimeSat Mar 30, 2013 9:44 pm

Great Info!!!
Back to top Go down
soarkrebel

soarkrebel

PostSubject: Re: The Rhino alternator, what can it handle   The Rhino alternator, what can it handle Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 8:24 am

SteveS wrote:
The Rhino alternator, what can it handle Regtestchart92904wa7

Here is a study that I did on the 660 charging system a long while ago. The 2 columns on the right are for the stock 660 setup and the 2 columns on the left are for an aftermarket Rectifier/Regulator module installed in place of the stock R/R. Of the 2 column sets, the left column is with the engine at idle and the right column is with the enine running at mid RPM. You can see a 10% or so improvement with the aftermarket R/R. The 700 stator is supposed to be higher performance than the 660, to the tune of 300 Watts vs. 250 Watts (around 20%),from what I understand. However, it seems to me that there have been more problems reported with the 700 stators burning up, than those of the 660's. The newest 700's supposedly have an extra oil line directed to the stator for extra cooling, but this is a very new thing and I am not clear on the actual improvement.

You can run a test like this with a voltmeter on the battery terminals with the equipment off as compared to on full-blast. You should find that the battery voltage will be at right around 12.7 Volts with the ignition switch off. If not, get the battery up to a stable full charge (wall powered charger) to make this a valid test, as a weak battery draws current from the charging system until it is fully charged. When you have the engine running but no auxilliary load, you should see the higher voltage seen toward the top of the charts. When you run the engine and you add the auxilliary load you will see the voltage droop. When the voltage droops to 12.7 Volts, you are drawing as much current as the charging system can provide. When it droops below that, you are drawing power from the battery itself to satisfy the auxilliary load.

I hope that helps.
Good to see you here Steve. Your one guy that knows his electrical or maybe just can talk it good enough to convince folks...Very Happy
I haven't had any issues with my charging system since I replaced the stator with another OEM one. Works like a charm but when they fry they fry. I am still waiting for someone with one of the new Rhino's to produce a picture of this mystery oil line...........maybe someone here will.....again good to read your stuff....
Back to top Go down
08Rhino450SE

08Rhino450SE

PostSubject: Re: The Rhino alternator, what can it handle   The Rhino alternator, what can it handle Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 12:04 pm

great info as always. thanks, steve!
Back to top Go down
madmax 1

madmax 1

PostSubject: Re: The Rhino alternator, what can it handle   The Rhino alternator, what can it handle Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 3:24 pm

you the man steve
Back to top Go down
Firefighter

Firefighter

PostSubject: Re: The Rhino alternator, what can it handle   The Rhino alternator, what can it handle Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 9:16 pm

SteveS, you should put that in a new post and maybe we could get Hotrod to sticky it ! VERY good info !!!!!
Back to top Go down
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

PostSubject: Re: The Rhino alternator, what can it handle   The Rhino alternator, what can it handle Icon_minitimeSun Mar 31, 2013 9:33 pm

Yeah I was able to wrap my head around everything.
Back to top Go down
TNTJ

PostSubject: Re: The Rhino alternator, what can it handle   The Rhino alternator, what can it handle Icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 12:59 pm

Firefighter wrote:
That is a bunch ! Good thing is the 700 has a better stator than the 660. I think the only way You will be able to tell, is to hook it up and see what the draw is. I do run an amp in mine and so far so good ! My amp is only a 250 watt with no stereo. I run a dual battery system with all accessories on the secondary battery and a smart switch connecting the batteries. When able, the stator charges both batteries, but if draw is to much, I only drain second battery. Maybe someone will chime in that has a system like You have !

hey firefighter any write up on your set-up?
Back to top Go down
Firefighter

Firefighter

PostSubject: Re: The Rhino alternator, what can it handle   The Rhino alternator, what can it handle Icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 1:21 pm

Just haven't had time. Bust here is the basics. The main thing to a dual battery setup is the separator switch. I does a lot of things and keep it safe. Here is a description. Long, but worth every penny !

Sure Power: 12V 100A Battery Separator - Bi-Directional w/ Aux Start
Sure Power: 1315 ~ Battery Separator Bi-Directional with Auxiliary Start ~ (Part#: 1315)

The Sure Power Battery Separator is designed for use in multi-battery applications as a excessive loading while allowing auxiliary batteries to be charged. The Sure Power Battery Separator has two basic operational characteristics.

ASSIST IN ENGINE STARTING:
When the starter is activated the Battery Separator compares the voltage of both battery banks. If the chassis' battery is lower the the auxiliary battery bank, the Battery Separator will engage, allowing the auxiliary battery bank to aid in vehicle starting. The start signal must be at least three volts for this operation to occur.

PROTECT THE CHARGING SYSTEM:
Once the engine has started, the Battery Separator monitors the chassis battery and charging system. When the charging system reaches 13.2 Volts, indicating a charged main battery and functioning charging system, the Battery Separator will engage, connecting the auxiliary battery bank to the vehicle charging system. If the drain on the charging system by the auxiliary battery bank reduces the system voltage below 12.8 volts, the Battery Separator will disconnect the auxiliary battery bank, thus protecting the chassis charging system. The process is repeated until the charging system is turned off.

A delay function has been incorporated in the control circuit to prevent the Battery Separator from reacting to momentary voltage fluctuations and chattering.

The priorities are to assist in engine starting, if required, and to protect the charging system from excessive power drain.

Sure Power Battery Separator 1315 Data Sheet (Click Here)
Sure Power Battery Separator 1315 Install Instructions (Click Here)

Voltage: 12 Volts
Amperage: 100 Amps
Approx. Item Weight: 1 Pound

FEATURES:

SIMPLE INSTALLATION:
Connects to primary battery, auxiliary battery and ground. Absolutely no system modifications are necessary.

MULTIPLE BATTERY CHARGING:
The battery separator allows multiple batteries to be charged from one charging source (usually, but not necessarily, an alternator). When the batteries are not being charged, the Battery Separator separates or isolates the batteries.

PRIORITIZED CHARGING:
The Battery Separator waits until the battery connected to the active charging source reaches approximately 13.2 Volts before paralleling and charging the remaining batteries. The system disconnects at approximately 12.8 Volts.

PREVENTS CHARGING SYSTEM OVERLOAD:
If the current requirements are greater then the charging source can produce, the Battery Separator will automatically separate the batteries, thus directing all available charge current to the battery directly connected to the charging source. The system will then reset and re-attempt charging the auxiliary battery. A time delay prevents false switching.

START ASSIST FEATURE:
An optional input from the key switch or a manual switch will program the Battery Separator to parallel the batteries during starting. This feature will only engage if the auxiliary battery has sufficient power available to assist in starting.

Sure Power provides a wide variety of quality products ad engineering services designed to aid in the management of DC electrical systems. Since inventing the Battery Isolator in 1959, Sure Power has been designing and manufacturing innovative, reliable and cost competitive products and services for a wide variety of markets including off-highway, bus, and truck, marine and automotive.

Back to top Go down
Jet

Jet

PostSubject: Re: The Rhino alternator, what can it handle   The Rhino alternator, what can it handle Icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 1:37 pm

WOW !!!!! excellent, thanks.
Back to top Go down
Mrs. Hot Rod
Admin
Mrs. Hot Rod

PostSubject: Re: The Rhino alternator, what can it handle   The Rhino alternator, what can it handle Icon_minitimeWed Apr 03, 2013 2:42 pm

Great info guys, thanks for posting!!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: The Rhino alternator, what can it handle   The Rhino alternator, what can it handle Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

The Rhino alternator, what can it handle
Page 1 of 1