HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM

Yamaha Rhino

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Events  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Welcome to the forum!! also check us out at hotrodforums.net

Who is online?
In total there are 28 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 28 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 207 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:13 pm
Latest topics
» forum back open for posting
cylinder nickle plated???? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 16, 2023 1:17 pm by RADICAL RAM

» rhino 660 hid visionx headlights for sale
cylinder nickle plated???? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 4:54 pm by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» New JBS Extreme sheave milling
cylinder nickle plated???? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 1:28 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» NEW FORUM!
cylinder nickle plated???? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 12:35 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
cylinder nickle plated???? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 11:01 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Forgot what the new sites name is?????
cylinder nickle plated???? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 10:59 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Truck picture thread.
cylinder nickle plated???? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 9:33 am by Tacoclaw

» go to new forum for tonight
cylinder nickle plated???? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:50 am by chuddly

» First rhino 09 450
cylinder nickle plated???? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:47 am by chuddly

Top posters
WV Hot Rod Rhino
cylinder nickle plated???? Vote_lcapcylinder nickle plated???? Voting_barcylinder nickle plated???? Vote_rcap 
madmax 1
cylinder nickle plated???? Vote_lcapcylinder nickle plated???? Voting_barcylinder nickle plated???? Vote_rcap 
REDRHINO64
ASPENDELLROVER
T.Rhino
123.bert0621
Firefighter
rhino727
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13
flimmy
Most Viewed Topics
Rhino 700 Electrical Problem - Solved!
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
NEW FORUM!
Sand Reeper
Hello hot rod forum
09 700 not charging when running
What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
go to new forum for tonight
Want Some Bigger Tires for the Rhino
How To Check Your Rhino 700 TPS
Most active topics
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
ALBA 734 Big Bore for 2011 Rhino 700
Picture Gallery
Truck picture thread.
What do you do for a living ?
New Yamaha SXS coming June 11 2013??.
EZ Steer Power Steering install
BUMPERS rhino.... evergoing build thread
Looking for a better holeshot
Show Your House/Compound
Top posting users this week
No user
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

cylinder nickle plated????

Go down 
+4
rhino727
southark
onebuilder
RADICAL RAM
8 posters
AuthorMessage
RADICAL RAM

cylinder nickle plated???? Empty
PostSubject: cylinder nickle plated????   cylinder nickle plated???? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 10:34 pm

I heard today that the cylinders in the 660 are nickle plated and can not be bored. If it is bored it will need to be replated??

is there any truth to this??

Is it wiser to just buy a new sleeve rather than boring??

i had mine bored out last spring and did not nickle plate anything. put in new piston and rings. by September it started burning oil so bad it began fouling plugs. could this be because i did not have the cylinder plated??? The cylinder no longer has any cross hatching in it now either.

thanks

Kyle
Back to top Go down
onebuilder

onebuilder

PostSubject: Re: cylinder nickle plated????   cylinder nickle plated???? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 11:12 pm

No, the Rhino 660 cylinder is not Nikal coated.
Back to top Go down
southark

southark

PostSubject: Re: cylinder nickle plated????   cylinder nickle plated???? Icon_minitimeThu Apr 04, 2013 11:37 pm

Nope no truth to that just had one bored out this week to a 686.
Back to top Go down
rhino727

rhino727

PostSubject: Re: cylinder nickle plated????   cylinder nickle plated???? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 12:08 am

no bored mine not coated
Back to top Go down
flimmy

flimmy

PostSubject: Re: cylinder nickle plated????   cylinder nickle plated???? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 05, 2013 7:22 am

RADICAL RAM wrote:

i had mine bored out last spring and did not nickle plate anything. put in new piston and rings. by September it started burning oil so bad it began fouling plugs. could this be because i did not have the cylinder plated??? The cylinder no longer has any cross hatching in it now either.

thanks

Kyle

Maybe the valve seals went bad
Back to top Go down
http://www.trailbrightled.com
RADICAL RAM

PostSubject: Re: cylinder nickle plated????   cylinder nickle plated???? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 8:46 am

flimmy wrote:
RADICAL RAM wrote:

thanks

Kyle

Maybe the valve seals went bad

did not think about that. i did put new valve seals in it at the same time though.
Back to top Go down
onebuilder

onebuilder

PostSubject: Re: cylinder nickle plated????   cylinder nickle plated???? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 9:20 am

RADICAL RAM wrote:
I heard today that the cylinders in the 660 are nickle plated and can not be bored. If it is bored it will need to be replated??

thanks

Kyle

The hone marks are gone? Did you check the ring end gap?

Back to top Go down
RADICAL RAM

PostSubject: Re: cylinder nickle plated????   cylinder nickle plated???? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 9:45 am

onebuilder wrote:
RADICAL RAM wrote:

thanks

Kyle

The hone marks are gone? Did you check the ring end gap?

that is the one thing i never did do before i installed or even now i dont know what it is. if the gap is too small im assuming that prevents the oil from getting where it needs to be??

Back to top Go down
CamoRhino660

CamoRhino660

PostSubject: Re: cylinder nickle plated????   cylinder nickle plated???? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 10:14 am

Yes. You have to set the end gap in the rings. This is a very important step.
Back to top Go down
CamoRhino660

CamoRhino660

PostSubject: Re: cylinder nickle plated????   cylinder nickle plated???? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 10:19 am

You should for sure have cross etching in the cylinder also. That's what gives the rings something to seat to. I found a very good mechanic that is very resonabale that's close. He can do everything from putting a new rod on to resleaving to valve jobs. Let me no if you want his number.
Back to top Go down
banchee6

banchee6

PostSubject: Re: cylinder nickle plated????   cylinder nickle plated???? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 11:57 am

Chrome cylinders on the 660 which can be bored. Also, make sure whoever is boring it get the correct gap and tolerances for the piston you use. Some piston companies use different tolerances. The person that bored it should know these things not saying they didn't but it a question to ask. All gaps need to be looked at twice. Proper cleaning of all parts before assembly as well. Hope that helps. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
RADICAL RAM

PostSubject: Re: cylinder nickle plated????   cylinder nickle plated???? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 12:40 pm

i just tore my wet clutch apart and my clutch shoes had broken and fell apart which in return trashed my drum leaving deep grooves in it.

prior to pulling the engine i noticed i had a lot of metal particles in my oil. i assumed it was from my cylinder or rings.

Now i know where all the metal came from, my clutch drum.

do you guys think the metal mixed into my oil ruined my rings and took out my crosshatch in cylinder??
Back to top Go down
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Admin
WV Hot Rod Rhino

PostSubject: Re: cylinder nickle plated????   cylinder nickle plated???? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 1:30 pm

yep..and sometimes it gathers on the oil pump screen starving it for oil
Back to top Go down
RADICAL RAM

PostSubject: Re: cylinder nickle plated????   cylinder nickle plated???? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 06, 2013 2:23 pm

WV Hot Rod Rhino wrote:
yep..and sometimes it gathers on the oil pump screen starving it for oil

i feel better knowing why my rings are ruined.

another question is there a tolerance for the rod and crank pin?? i know there is a side to side tolerance between the rod and the crank (which my tolerance is at the max). But my rod is moving up and down a very small amount. also when i turn the motor over by holding the rod i notice the bronze bushing/bearing between rod and crank pin does not spin with the rod like it is separated from the rod. Is that normal??

i had someone put me a new forged wiseco rod on the crank last year. does a new rod normally come with a new crank pin??

or is the crank pin and new rod likely worn out???

thanks for the help
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: cylinder nickle plated????   cylinder nickle plated???? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

cylinder nickle plated????
Page 1 of 1