HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM

Yamaha Rhino

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Events  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Welcome to the forum!! also check us out at hotrodforums.net

Who is online?
In total there are 19 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 19 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 207 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:13 pm
Latest topics
» forum back open for posting
Steering wheel ergo's SUCK! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 16, 2023 1:17 pm by RADICAL RAM

» rhino 660 hid visionx headlights for sale
Steering wheel ergo's SUCK! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 4:54 pm by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» New JBS Extreme sheave milling
Steering wheel ergo's SUCK! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 1:28 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» NEW FORUM!
Steering wheel ergo's SUCK! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 12:35 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
Steering wheel ergo's SUCK! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 11:01 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Forgot what the new sites name is?????
Steering wheel ergo's SUCK! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 10:59 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Truck picture thread.
Steering wheel ergo's SUCK! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 9:33 am by Tacoclaw

» go to new forum for tonight
Steering wheel ergo's SUCK! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:50 am by chuddly

» First rhino 09 450
Steering wheel ergo's SUCK! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:47 am by chuddly

Top posters
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Steering wheel ergo's SUCK! Vote_lcapSteering wheel ergo's SUCK! Voting_barSteering wheel ergo's SUCK! Vote_rcap 
madmax 1
Steering wheel ergo's SUCK! Vote_lcapSteering wheel ergo's SUCK! Voting_barSteering wheel ergo's SUCK! Vote_rcap 
REDRHINO64
ASPENDELLROVER
T.Rhino
123.bert0621
Firefighter
rhino727
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13
flimmy
Most Viewed Topics
Rhino 700 Electrical Problem - Solved!
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
NEW FORUM!
Sand Reeper
Hello hot rod forum
09 700 not charging when running
What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
go to new forum for tonight
Want Some Bigger Tires for the Rhino
How To Check Your Rhino 700 TPS
Most active topics
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
ALBA 734 Big Bore for 2011 Rhino 700
Picture Gallery
Truck picture thread.
What do you do for a living ?
New Yamaha SXS coming June 11 2013??.
EZ Steer Power Steering install
BUMPERS rhino.... evergoing build thread
Looking for a better holeshot
Show Your House/Compound
Top posting users this week
No user
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Steering wheel ergo's SUCK!

Go down 
+3
T.Rhino
Pokahpolice
chuddly
7 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
chuddly

chuddly

Steering wheel ergo's SUCK! Empty
PostSubject: Steering wheel ergo's SUCK!   Steering wheel ergo's SUCK! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 7:53 am

When im just kicking around the yard its not a big deal...but when i strap in with my 4pt harness and lock myself back reaching the steering wheel is a pain! Its angled up at a funny angle and its to far away causing me to reach for it and wear up and feel it much sooner than I should. I dont mind the seats but im not set on them either. Really i would just like to move the column a little and make it better but does anyone have any suggestions?
Back to top Go down
Pokahpolice

Pokahpolice

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel ergo's SUCK!   Steering wheel ergo's SUCK! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 8:44 am

Moving the steering column is going to be a big project. Moving the seat is much easier. They make some sliders that make the seat adjustable.
Back to top Go down
T.Rhino

T.Rhino

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel ergo's SUCK!   Steering wheel ergo's SUCK! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 8:53 am

Tilt wheel I have it on mine and love it.
Back to top Go down
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Admin
WV Hot Rod Rhino

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel ergo's SUCK!   Steering wheel ergo's SUCK! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 9:07 am

all you have to do put washers on the front bolts of the steering shaft and it will be lower and better...hump did it
Back to top Go down
chuddly

chuddly

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel ergo's SUCK!   Steering wheel ergo's SUCK! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 9:44 am

T.Rhino wrote:
Tilt wheel I have it on mine and love it.

Explain more about the tilt wheel. That sounds like EXACTLY what i want. But i dont want to spend a ton on it.

James...i may do what your suggesting for the time being but a tilt wheels sounds real nice. But like i said i dont want to spend a ton on it. Most of the time im not strapped in so its not an issue 90% of the time.
Back to top Go down
Hump

Hump

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel ergo's SUCK!   Steering wheel ergo's SUCK! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 11:09 am

WV Hot Rod Rhino wrote:
all you have to do put washers on the front bolts of the steering shaft and it will be lower and better...hump did it
Yeah, I got the idea from over there at that stinking RF. Loosten the two bolts closest to the steering wheel a good bit, take the front ones out and stack about 3/8" worth of washers under the front of the mount and replace the two bolts. Then tighten everything. It's a real pain to get the washers lined up, but it's worth it. Lowers the wheel about 1 1/2". That don't sound like much, but it made a big diference.
Back to top Go down
T.Rhino

T.Rhino

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel ergo's SUCK!   Steering wheel ergo's SUCK! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 11:12 am

I purchased mine from side by side sports on the Internet and love it. I tried putting the washers under the front 2 bolts but it caused the steering to bind on me but that could be do to the power steering unit I have they have additional universal joints in them. But the tilt steering unit is very easy to install maybe A hour to do not bad at all but the price I thank is around $400 I thank you can cheak there site for A quote but if you decide to go with tilt you won't be disappointed.
Back to top Go down
Hump

Hump

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel ergo's SUCK!   Steering wheel ergo's SUCK! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 11:16 am

I was going to cut the mounts and re-weld them where I wanted them, but figured I would try the washers 1st because I didn't want the rhino down for 2 weeks. I wanna ride!
Back to top Go down
chuddly

chuddly

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel ergo's SUCK!   Steering wheel ergo's SUCK! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 11:37 am

Does anyone know how much i can tilt the current mount before the stock universal joint wants to bind? Cutting and welding is no big deal to me but i just dont want to do it twice if I dont have to.
Back to top Go down
Bumpers

Bumpers

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel ergo's SUCK!   Steering wheel ergo's SUCK! Icon_minitimeMon Apr 08, 2013 12:44 pm

Im really not sure... I guess i need to put some more washers in mine.. i put probly 1/4" worth in the rear of mine and it doesnt seem like it moved much at all
Back to top Go down
Hump

Hump

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel ergo's SUCK!   Steering wheel ergo's SUCK! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 1:29 am

chuddly wrote:
Does anyone know how much i can tilt the current mount before the stock universal joint wants to bind? Cutting and welding is no big deal to me but i just dont want to do it twice if I dont have to.

From what I could tell, it looks like it won't bind at all. The problem I see is that the steering shaft may need to be lengthened some if you try to keep the column inside the factory hole in the dash. As you raise the mount to lower the wheel, the wheel tilts toward the left with the stock length shaft.

I'm talking about the shaft that goes from the rack up to the column.
Back to top Go down
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel ergo's SUCK!   Steering wheel ergo's SUCK! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 1:48 am

IdeaVery Happy
Steering wheel ergo's SUCK! Fbz_4e557292c6fb1a38cbb63df2409fce6b
Back to top Go down
T.Rhino

T.Rhino

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel ergo's SUCK!   Steering wheel ergo's SUCK! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 7:02 am

I thank the binding I spoke of will only happen when you have the power steering unit installed cause of the additional universal joint. But I still had no luck getting the right amount of tilt with the washers though.
Back to top Go down
chuddly

chuddly

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel ergo's SUCK!   Steering wheel ergo's SUCK! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 7:51 am

I think i may have found this weekends project......I dont mind lengthening the shaft. I think i should be able to cut and rework the whole thing in 2-3 hours. To me thats time well spent to have good seating/ergonomics and not strain something while riding. I will take some pictures of it when i do it and show what/how i did it all.
Back to top Go down
Bumpers

Bumpers

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel ergo's SUCK!   Steering wheel ergo's SUCK! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 11:00 am

This thread got me thinking yesterday and i only had about a 1/4" of washers before so i added a few more probly 3/8"-1/2" or so. I cant hardly tell any difference maybe tilted down just a hair but nothing big.
Back to top Go down
chuddly

chuddly

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel ergo's SUCK!   Steering wheel ergo's SUCK! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 11:33 am

would you guys be interested in seeing how to do this? Im sure i can make it happen fairly easily.
Back to top Go down
Bumpers

Bumpers

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel ergo's SUCK!   Steering wheel ergo's SUCK! Icon_minitimeTue Apr 09, 2013 5:27 pm

if you come down much lower with it a removable steering wheel wouldnt be a bad idea.. i have one and use it every now and then if i cant get the door open or somthing
Back to top Go down
Hump

Hump

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel ergo's SUCK!   Steering wheel ergo's SUCK! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 1:03 am

With the washers, mine didn't end up anywhere near where I wanted it to be. It is a little better though. I also shimmed the front of my stock seat up 1/2" because my legs were not even touching the front 1/2 of the seat.

It looks to me like the sqare tube that the steering column mount welds to would have to be raised up if you want to keep the column in the factory dash hole. That's the part that made me put it off for a while. I want to do it no matter what it takes, because I'm going to keep this thing for ever. I really want to make it the best it can be for me.

Chuddly, keep us updated on this project. Pics are nice also.
Back to top Go down
chuddly

chuddly

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel ergo's SUCK!   Steering wheel ergo's SUCK! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 7:22 am

i played around with it a bit last night and its much better. But its still not EXACTLY what i want. I took the stock column out and elongated the mounting holes. This made it so i could put more spacers under the front of the column. Like i said its much better but not perfect yet...i really just want it to come straight back from where it is. here is a picture of the modified column. I might drive it like this for a short time and see how it does. Or I might cut it up and go it the way i want to this weekend....ya just never know
Steering wheel ergo's SUCK! 20130409_191712_zps1a09c12e
Back to top Go down
T.Rhino

T.Rhino

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel ergo's SUCK!   Steering wheel ergo's SUCK! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 7:28 am

I have a spare one of those if you want one to experiment with.
Back to top Go down
chuddly

chuddly

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel ergo's SUCK!   Steering wheel ergo's SUCK! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 9:15 am

T.Rhino wrote:
I have a spare one of those if you want one to experiment with.
OHH really? I would love to have a spare one to play with. I actually think i can make a "kit" for people to move the column down and toward the driver. How much would you have to have for your spare?
Back to top Go down
T.Rhino

T.Rhino

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel ergo's SUCK!   Steering wheel ergo's SUCK! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 9:54 am

Does $25 plus shipping sound ok.
Back to top Go down
T.Rhino

T.Rhino

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel ergo's SUCK!   Steering wheel ergo's SUCK! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 9:55 am

Or do you have anything you would want to trade for it.
Back to top Go down
chuddly

chuddly

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel ergo's SUCK!   Steering wheel ergo's SUCK! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 10:00 am

what are you looking for on trade? I have stuff....
Back to top Go down
T.Rhino

T.Rhino

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel ergo's SUCK!   Steering wheel ergo's SUCK! Icon_minitimeWed Apr 10, 2013 10:05 am

PM sent. Owe I know you do that's why I asked you have some pretty cool looking stuff.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Steering wheel ergo's SUCK!   Steering wheel ergo's SUCK! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Steering wheel ergo's SUCK!
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next