HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM

Yamaha Rhino

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Events  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Welcome to the forum!! also check us out at hotrodforums.net

Who is online?
In total there are 19 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 19 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 207 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:13 pm
Latest topics
» forum back open for posting
Anyone with Carb tuning Experience????? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 16, 2023 1:17 pm by RADICAL RAM

» rhino 660 hid visionx headlights for sale
Anyone with Carb tuning Experience????? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 4:54 pm by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» New JBS Extreme sheave milling
Anyone with Carb tuning Experience????? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 1:28 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» NEW FORUM!
Anyone with Carb tuning Experience????? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 12:35 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
Anyone with Carb tuning Experience????? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 11:01 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Forgot what the new sites name is?????
Anyone with Carb tuning Experience????? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 10:59 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Truck picture thread.
Anyone with Carb tuning Experience????? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 9:33 am by Tacoclaw

» go to new forum for tonight
Anyone with Carb tuning Experience????? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:50 am by chuddly

» First rhino 09 450
Anyone with Carb tuning Experience????? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:47 am by chuddly

Top posters
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Anyone with Carb tuning Experience????? Vote_lcapAnyone with Carb tuning Experience????? Voting_barAnyone with Carb tuning Experience????? Vote_rcap 
madmax 1
Anyone with Carb tuning Experience????? Vote_lcapAnyone with Carb tuning Experience????? Voting_barAnyone with Carb tuning Experience????? Vote_rcap 
REDRHINO64
ASPENDELLROVER
T.Rhino
123.bert0621
Firefighter
rhino727
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13
flimmy
Most Viewed Topics
Rhino 700 Electrical Problem - Solved!
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
NEW FORUM!
Sand Reeper
Hello hot rod forum
09 700 not charging when running
What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
go to new forum for tonight
Want Some Bigger Tires for the Rhino
How To Check Your Rhino 700 TPS
Most active topics
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
ALBA 734 Big Bore for 2011 Rhino 700
Picture Gallery
Truck picture thread.
What do you do for a living ?
New Yamaha SXS coming June 11 2013??.
EZ Steer Power Steering install
BUMPERS rhino.... evergoing build thread
Looking for a better holeshot
Show Your House/Compound
Top posting users this week
No user
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Anyone with Carb tuning Experience?????

Go down 
+3
madmax 1
REDRHINO64
Kenny G
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Kenny G

Kenny G

Anyone with Carb tuning Experience????? Empty
PostSubject: Anyone with Carb tuning Experience?????   Anyone with Carb tuning Experience????? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 10:10 pm

Hate to have to call James every time we need something on this forum. Anyone familiar with the fine art of tuning a carb?? I've been fucking with this carb for a week now. The Yamaha dealer told me I don't have a Ferrari, I have a Malibu. Granted I'm running a 450 but I feel I should be able to get the carb still tuned in. Tell me if I'm just anal!!!! It's okay because I'm getting pissed, and the a/f meter is a loner and I need to get it back to the King. Started out stock with air and fuel. Went with an exhaust tip and opened up air box 04 style (no snorkel) w/K&N air. Factor specs were 133 main jet; needle jet thin spacer on bottom. A/F screw?? Didn't check it before adjustments. I've dropped the main jet to a 115; switched the needle jet washers fat on the bottom, thin to the top. And have the A/F screw at 1.25 turns out. I've got a spread sheet of all the adjustment I've made through this tuning! WOT has started out at 11.7-12 stock, when I'm in full throttle I'm hitting mid-12's-13, hit rev limit it drops into low 12-11's. down hill upper 11's. Is this normal and expectable? Mid-range is the sweet spot 12.9-13.3. Idle is still a little rich12.2-12.6. I ride about 2-3k feet higher than this tune up is at(5.4K'), so it will lean out some at higher elevations. Somebody with some experience talk to me!!! Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
REDRHINO64

REDRHINO64

PostSubject: Re: Anyone with Carb tuning Experience?????   Anyone with Carb tuning Experience????? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 10:23 pm

Try dropping main to 110,idle is fine anywhere from 12 to 12.5,i try to get anywhere from 12.5 to 13.2 wot,if its still rich on top end,drop another size on main jet,the first thing u need to do is get wot right then get the bottom end right with the pilot jet and air screw.
Back to top Go down
madmax 1

madmax 1

PostSubject: Re: Anyone with Carb tuning Experience?????   Anyone with Carb tuning Experience????? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 10:48 pm

safe to be a little on the rich side , if you have warmer weather coming it could get a little leaner as temp rises, my 2 cents
Back to top Go down
madmax 1

madmax 1

PostSubject: Re: Anyone with Carb tuning Experience?????   Anyone with Carb tuning Experience????? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 10:52 pm

i dont have an afm yet but been kind of a tuner freak since my street bike days will usually change jetting in summer and winter, call me anal, the search for performance in a sickness Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

PostSubject: Re: Anyone with Carb tuning Experience?????   Anyone with Carb tuning Experience????? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 11:27 pm

Kenny G wrote:
...........when I'm in full throttle I'm hitting mid-12's-13, hit rev limit it drops into low 12-11's. down hill upper 11's. Is this normal and expectable? ........

I'm no expert in carb tuning but I do know what happens when you hit the rev limiter. When the rev limiter comes on, the CDI is killing the spark, taking several fuel ignition sparks out before sending one or two to the plug and repeats over and over. This happens to prevent the engine from revving any higher. Meanwhile, the carb is busy mixing the same amount of fuel to the same amount of air and sending it down the pipeline. Now very little of that fuel is being burned and it is going out the tailpipe very rich. Your A/F gauge is measuring this inappropriate set of conditions. In fact, it may measure inaccurately until it clears itself out (kind of like a fuel soaked spark plug).

So, disregard any A/F mixture readings while it is into the rev limiter. Just back off the pedal until it is running smoothly. That is all the faster that you are going to go anyway, and the squirrels and their friends living alongside the trail will thank you. albino cat monkey pig....alien???

This might not apply to the 700, as the ECU has control of the mixture as well as the spark. It depends on how sophisticated they got in limiting the RPM.
Back to top Go down
madmax 1

madmax 1

PostSubject: Re: Anyone with Carb tuning Experience?????   Anyone with Carb tuning Experience????? Icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 11:30 pm

very good point steve
Back to top Go down
Kenny G

Kenny G

PostSubject: Re: Anyone with Carb tuning Experience?????   Anyone with Carb tuning Experience????? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 12:49 am

Thanks guys. That makes a lot of senses Steve, that is basically what I'm seeing. WOT throttle I'm seeing the upper 12's - low 13's; but when left WOT it drops into the high 11's - low 12's. I'm not going to f--k with this anymore!!! Think I'm okay with moving into the 7-8K elevation???? Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
Firefighter

Firefighter

PostSubject: Re: Anyone with Carb tuning Experience?????   Anyone with Carb tuning Experience????? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 1:05 am

Kenny, Don't let it git the best of You. HAHA

How does it feel by the seat of the pants ? Is it faster and smoother than it was before ?

Also, You can put a new spark plug in it and take it for a good ride, pull the plug and see what color it is. That will tell You a lot.
Back to top Go down
Kenny G

Kenny G

PostSubject: Re: Anyone with Carb tuning Experience?????   Anyone with Carb tuning Experience????? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 2:14 am

Yes Larry, It is quicker from the bottom end up. And most riding is in the mid-range; so what's up with the top-end, unless your a duner?
Back to top Go down
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Admin
WV Hot Rod Rhino

PostSubject: Re: Anyone with Carb tuning Experience?????   Anyone with Carb tuning Experience????? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 8:30 am

call me today
Back to top Go down
madmax 1

madmax 1

PostSubject: Re: Anyone with Carb tuning Experience?????   Anyone with Carb tuning Experience????? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 8:46 am

like firefighter said hows it feel seat of pants, or you could do a plug chop and check color , give james a call see what he tells ya, your on the right track
Back to top Go down
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Admin
WV Hot Rod Rhino

PostSubject: Re: Anyone with Carb tuning Experience?????   Anyone with Carb tuning Experience????? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 9:09 am

right before it bangs off the limiter what is the air/fuel
Back to top Go down
Kenny G

Kenny G

PostSubject: Re: Anyone with Carb tuning Experience?????   Anyone with Carb tuning Experience????? Icon_minitimeSat Apr 20, 2013 8:33 pm

WV Hot Rod Rhino wrote:
right before it bangs off the limiter what is the air/fuel
That is what was thrown a wrench into the confusion; I was reading wot while the peddle was smashed to the floor and then into the rev limit. I couldn't figure out why everything was going to shit, now I understand what happens when you're balancing off the rev limiter. I'm no mechanic, but I've been learning along the way. WOT upper-12 - low-13 before hitting rev-limit, then the bitch goes rich! I'll be shipping the A/F Meter back tomorrow James. Thanks for allowing me to use it. Also got the Rydon installed, looks like a great product, had to make some modification to match up with the roll cage. The carb/exhaust mods gave the ole girl a lot more get up and go out of the hole. She'll hold 38 mph on the flats and tops out at 42 on the down hill. I gained a few more mph's and a lot more quickness. Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
Kenny G

Kenny G

PostSubject: Re: Anyone with Carb tuning Experience?????   Anyone with Carb tuning Experience????? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 12:26 pm

Wanted to thank all ya that gave advice and support while I schooled myself through this air/fuel, mod/adjustments. Finally got a break in the weather and ran the bike a good 6 hours, she purred like a kitten and performed very well. Thanks again, that's what makes this forum GREAT. Let-Em Buck!!! Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Admin
WV Hot Rod Rhino

PostSubject: Re: Anyone with Carb tuning Experience?????   Anyone with Carb tuning Experience????? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 1:18 pm

Dancing Banana
Back to top Go down
Stuntmanmike

Stuntmanmike

PostSubject: Re: Anyone with Carb tuning Experience?????   Anyone with Carb tuning Experience????? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 5:48 pm

Just a little FYI, The only color that matters on the spark plug is a Black ring around the bottom of the porcelen, 13 to 13.5 leaves a black ring approxamatly .100 high at the base of the porcelen. If you dont have a plug reader you can cut the threads off the plug and see it very clearly. Brown,Tan and any other color is just the other crap in our fuel. Unburnt fuel or runing rich only leaves black soot behind. study
Back to top Go down
madmax 1

madmax 1

PostSubject: Re: Anyone with Carb tuning Experience?????   Anyone with Carb tuning Experience????? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 7:05 pm

isn,t the color supposed to be brown down there ?
Back to top Go down
madmax 1

madmax 1

PostSubject: Re: Anyone with Carb tuning Experience?????   Anyone with Carb tuning Experience????? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 7:06 pm

never mind didn't read that good long day at the hell hole
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

PostSubject: Re: Anyone with Carb tuning Experience?????   Anyone with Carb tuning Experience????? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 9:36 pm

Stuntmanmike wrote:
Just a little FYI, The only color that matters on the spark plug is a Black ring around the bottom of the porcelen, 13 to 13.5 leaves a black ring approxamatly .100 high at the base of the porcelen. If you dont have a plug reader you can cut the threads off the plug and see it very clearly. Brown,Tan and any other color is just the other crap in our fuel. Unburnt fuel or runing rich only leaves black soot behind. study

Now that is really interesting. I have never heard that before. The soot burns off closer to the tip, I presume? What I am wondering is how long does this black ring persist once it is created? What I am trying to determine is whether this ring stays around long enough that it influences the plug read on the next look-see (say,after you change the jetting and then recheck). Or, are you gauging the width of the black ring every time you check?
Back to top Go down
Stuntmanmike

Stuntmanmike

PostSubject: Re: Anyone with Carb tuning Experience?????   Anyone with Carb tuning Experience????? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 10:13 pm

It will change if you put atleast 5 min on it after an adjustment.
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

PostSubject: Re: Anyone with Carb tuning Experience?????   Anyone with Carb tuning Experience????? Icon_minitimeTue Apr 30, 2013 10:31 pm

Stuntmanmike wrote:
It will change if you put atleast 5 min on it after an adjustment.

Thanks Mike, I love learning something new every day.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Anyone with Carb tuning Experience?????   Anyone with Carb tuning Experience????? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Anyone with Carb tuning Experience?????
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM :: Technical :: Engine-
Jump to: