HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM

Yamaha Rhino

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Events  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Welcome to the forum!! also check us out at hotrodforums.net

Who is online?
In total there are 31 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 31 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 207 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:13 pm
Latest topics
» forum back open for posting
dust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you Icon_minitimeWed Aug 16, 2023 1:17 pm by RADICAL RAM

» rhino 660 hid visionx headlights for sale
dust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 4:54 pm by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» New JBS Extreme sheave milling
dust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 1:28 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» NEW FORUM!
dust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 12:35 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
dust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 11:01 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Forgot what the new sites name is?????
dust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 10:59 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Truck picture thread.
dust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 9:33 am by Tacoclaw

» go to new forum for tonight
dust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:50 am by chuddly

» First rhino 09 450
dust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:47 am by chuddly

Top posters
WV Hot Rod Rhino
dust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you Vote_lcapdust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you Voting_bardust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you Vote_rcap 
madmax 1
dust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you Vote_lcapdust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you Voting_bardust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you Vote_rcap 
REDRHINO64
ASPENDELLROVER
T.Rhino
123.bert0621
Firefighter
rhino727
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13
flimmy
Most Viewed Topics
Rhino 700 Electrical Problem - Solved!
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
NEW FORUM!
Sand Reeper
Hello hot rod forum
09 700 not charging when running
What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
go to new forum for tonight
Want Some Bigger Tires for the Rhino
How To Check Your Rhino 700 TPS
Most active topics
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
ALBA 734 Big Bore for 2011 Rhino 700
Picture Gallery
Truck picture thread.
What do you do for a living ?
New Yamaha SXS coming June 11 2013??.
EZ Steer Power Steering install
BUMPERS rhino.... evergoing build thread
Looking for a better holeshot
Show Your House/Compound
Top posting users this week
No user
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you

Go down 
+10
rhino727
08Rhino450SE
Firefighter
Stuntmanmike
madmax 1
meats
T.Rhino
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13
hymarker
SteveS
14 posters
AuthorMessage
SteveS

SteveS

dust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you Empty
PostSubject: Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you   dust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 12:32 am

"Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you"    ....... Episode 1

Well, at least I have started collecting, hosting and organizing pix from long ago. First installment will involve the roof and what I call a 'Bikini Top' behind it. I've got probably approaching a dozen 'dust fixes' on my Rhino, large and small, so this might go on for some time, if it seems worthwhile for everyone.

The idea here is to help diffuse the low pressure area above and behind the bed. This causes a rotating eddy of air flow which draws from the dust cloud behind the machine and brings it forward and down into the bed and cab. This low pressure region also draws dusty air up from underneath the machine through the gaps between the bed and back of the seats, as well as the myriad of gaps between seat, engine cover, etc. This is a subject for later episodes.

dust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you Bikinitopreardiag640

Here you see a panel constructed of heavy polyester fabric and heavy duty window screening. This is marketed as 'dog-proof' window screen, being made of heavy fiberglass mesh that has been rubber coated. It's practically bulletproof, for pellet gun calibers any way. The upper solid section is wrapped around a cross bar that spaces it away from the roof. The end of the panel is snap fastener attached to the panel to form a loop that hangs onto the bar. The bottom edge of the mesh section is sewn into a wide hem that provides an opening to capture a length of stiff, but bendy, tent pole rod. Ball bungies attach it to footman loops screwed into the top edge of the tailgate. So, it ends up being stretched tight but still quite easy to disengage at the rear, for access to the bed. Undoing the upper snap fasteners allows complete removal.  

dust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you Bikinitopside2640

In this upward looking side/rear view, you see the gap between the leading edge of the panel and the smoothly downward curved rear of the roof. Moving air will tend to hug that curve and be drawn into the gap between panel and roof. Air that goes past that will encounter the solid fabric airfoil that presents itself. That air is deflected downward and tend to hug the leeward side of the panel. This deflection of the airflow will tend to 'feed' the low pressure area that would normally be caused by the passage of the machine through the air.

The air that was pulled down between cab and panel will then be smoothly and evenly drawn through the mesh to further 'feed' the low pressure pocket. The idea here is to get the air flow behind the airfoil to be smooth and non-turbulent. We are trying to greatly reduce the low pressure area and smooth the flow such there is no rotating eddy of air close behind the cab.

The air that is in front of the airfoil is at a relatively higher pressure than before because it is kept from freely moving away from the cab by the restriction of the screening.  This makes for less suction to draw air in from below and from the sides. However, there is more to be done regarding the gaps which will be addressed in a later episode.

dust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you 1qdb

Shown here is the front of the cab. This is an Essex flip-up windshield with a few modifications. You see that, up at the top, the roof overhang presents a barrier to the air flow that is travelling up due to the slant of the windshield. This creates a high pressure pocket which feeds the ventilation holes at the top, above the hinged edge of the windshield proper. This creates a strong fan-like assist to air flow into the cab at speed. I have, since the picture was taken, added an inside hinged panel (much like a sun-screen in a car) that can be closed completely for winter riding. The lip on the roof also prevents rain from dripping into the cab, rather important here in Oregon.

The roof is made from a sheet of Alucobond, which is a polyethylene plastic core faced on both sides with a thin sheet of aluminum. It is very stiff for its weight and easy to cut with woodworking tools. You can see parallel kerfs cut part way through the inside wall at the rear curve of the roll cage. This allows the sheet to smoothly bend to match the curve of the tubing.

dust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you Airflowdiagram640

This is a flow diagram to perhaps help visualize what is going on within the air stream. It is, of course, just a schematic, so don't take the kinks and bends in the arrows literally. I do much better operating a CAD program than I do with these graphic arts programs.

Last edited by SteveS on Sun Jul 14, 2013 2:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
hymarker

hymarker

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you   dust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 12:39 am

Nice! Great idea!
Back to top Go down
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you   dust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 1:53 am

Wow that's awesome Steve, that looks like it has a lot of thought behind it!
Back to top Go down
T.Rhino

T.Rhino

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you   dust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 7:12 am

Great work.
Back to top Go down
meats

meats

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you   dust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 8:45 am

i might have to try this out if it ever warms up around here that would make it easier to grab refreshments while going down the road. Reneck
Back to top Go down
madmax 1

madmax 1

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you   dust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 8:50 am

great info steve you never l let us down, also nice lookin ride
Back to top Go down
Stuntmanmike

Stuntmanmike

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you   dust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 9:04 am

Great write up steve! keep it going.
Back to top Go down
Firefighter

Firefighter

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you   dust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 10:05 am

Absolutely BRILLIANT ! Using the air flow to correct the problem that it causes in the first place.

Couple of things... By keeping the cab somewhat positive pressure air flow, it will even reduce the amount of dust entering from "other" places and help with exhaust fumes being pulled back in the cab.

With the slanted bikini top, You have some deflection for water or mud in the bed, shade for the bed and You can see through it !

Very well done Steve !

Last edited by Firefighter on Fri Apr 26, 2013 10:25 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
08Rhino450SE

08Rhino450SE

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you   dust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 10:22 am

great write-up as usual, steve! constantly improving everything rhino bounce
Back to top Go down
rhino727

rhino727

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you   dust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 9:05 am

great info an wright up very much thought went into it study
X2 on what firefighter said keep it coming cheers
love this site dust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you 2016508534
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you   dust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 10:52 pm

Ahhhh, now onto episode II.
To open or close the vent above the windshield I created a hinged flap out of the same Alucobond material as the roof. It works much like a sun visor, with adjustable friction hinges such that it stays where you put it. Here, you see the vents blocked:
dust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you Upperventclosed800

And here, you see it with the vents open:
dust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you Upperventopen800

I have a large convex (wide angle view) mirror mounted onto the Essex upper frame. There is some bracing involved to tame the vibration of the mirror:
dust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you Mirrormount3jo

For those days when the wind in the hair feeling is appropriate, the window tilts up. This affords full air flow through the window frame opening. The stock window tilts up rather more than you see it here. I have put restraint cables across the lifting struts to reduce the upward travel, such that the window stops when still canted slightly downward. This is especially nice for those warm but rainy days, as it keeps the rain out, even while moving at a decent clip. Driving in the rain with a windshield can be a visibility pain, even with wipers running. With the window open, visiblility is perfect as it can be.
dust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you Roofvents

Here in Oregon, contending with the rain can be just as important as not choking in the dust. There are indeed those rare perfect days when it is still damp on the ground but not pouring down rain. I'm looking forward to that season here.
Back to top Go down
Firefighter

Firefighter

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you   dust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 10:57 pm

VERY nicely done ! Brilliant as usual Steve !
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you   dust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you Icon_minitimeSun May 26, 2013 11:05 pm

It is still a work in progress. I hope to put an LED lightbar underneath that front roof overhang, when I stumble on a goodly wad of cash, and also box it in a bit. I need to get rid of those sharp points at the forward corners of the roof before I stab some poor animal as I come barreling around a corner pale
Back to top Go down
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you   dust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you Icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2013 1:24 am

Great job Steve!! dust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you 2016508534
Back to top Go down
ASPENDELLROVER

ASPENDELLROVER

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you   dust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you Icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2013 2:01 am

looks like a side business, kinda like JBS.... dust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you 2016508534
Back to top Go down
REDRHINO64

REDRHINO64

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you   dust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you Icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2013 8:24 am

Nice work!
Back to top Go down
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Admin
WV Hot Rod Rhino

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you   dust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you Icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2013 9:37 am

nice!!! Dancing Banana
Back to top Go down
honda450sfm

honda450sfm

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you   dust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you Icon_minitimeMon May 27, 2013 11:45 pm

Awesome job!
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you   dust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you Icon_minitimeTue May 28, 2013 12:04 am

Thanks, all.

Well, I just ordered a set of spot and flood LED's to stuff in there. Then maybe I can finish it all up, nice and proper.

I'll be plastering you with more on this dust abatement stuff as time goes on. It seems that it took me years to get it all worked out, so it ought to take me years to talk about it all, eh?
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you   dust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 12:29 am

"Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you"    Episode III

Well, the Eagle-Eyed Firefighter caught a glimpse of something in one of those previous photos. It seems that he is interested in the quadruple OOOOOught buckshot holes in my firewall :-)  

These episodes are not in any chronological order, so you will just have to take them as they come, just like any good SciFi series.        ......With that, we launch Episode III......

Somewhere along the way, I realized that dust was coating the floorboards, console and my legs, even with the window wide open. It seemed obvious that the open sides and closed front end of the Rhino was creating a low pressure region down low down in the cab.
I sez to myself, "Let some air in".... My winter self sez, "You will regret it".....  The Dillema rears it's ugly horns and I whip out my Red Cape to do battle...

Where is JBS coozie? It is a Hot evening and I dont have one to shield my beverage. JAMES!!!  Enough jabber, the pictures please...

Template: Fabricated a template to drill pilot holes in firewall panel. This is made of AlucoBond as was the roof in Episode 1.
dust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you 6y0c

Punch Holes: Enlarged holes as needed. The big holes were done with a chassis punch, using the Armstrong method. BFWrench.
dust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you 4bz8

Backup Plate: Built a backup plate using the same AlucoBond material. The firewall is pretty flimsy after you riddle it with holes.
dust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you M0jb

Door Closed: Here you see the flapper door. I used the same friction hinges as used in Episode II
dust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you Zw0j

Door Open: Here you see sticky back foam tape for gasketing. Not shown is a thumbscrew to lock the door down.
dust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you Kl4z

Well, there is tonight's show. Time for me to get the beer back out of the Fridge..... JAMES!!!! A coozie?  drunken
Back to top Go down
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you   dust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 2:42 am

Nice work Steve!!! It will help get that hot air outa there to!
Back to top Go down
T.Rhino

T.Rhino

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you   dust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 8:30 am

I love these episodes they always have me dying to here the next one. Good stuff again Steve. Thanks.
Back to top Go down
Firefighter

Firefighter

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you   dust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 10:00 am

VERY well done my friend ! You even incorporated a seal on the door. Two coozies for You !!! HAHA

Thanks a bunch Steve !
Back to top Go down
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Admin
WV Hot Rod Rhino

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you   dust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you Icon_minitimeTue Jul 02, 2013 10:15 am

very nice!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you   dust - Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Dealing with the Dust Devil behind you
Page 1 of 1