HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM

Yamaha Rhino

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Events  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Welcome to the forum!! also check us out at hotrodforums.net

Who is online?
In total there are 14 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 14 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 207 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:13 pm
Latest topics
» forum back open for posting
Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 16, 2023 1:17 pm by RADICAL RAM

» rhino 660 hid visionx headlights for sale
Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 4:54 pm by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» New JBS Extreme sheave milling
Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 1:28 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» NEW FORUM!
Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 12:35 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 11:01 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Forgot what the new sites name is?????
Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 10:59 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Truck picture thread.
Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 9:33 am by Tacoclaw

» go to new forum for tonight
Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:50 am by chuddly

» First rhino 09 450
Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:47 am by chuddly

Top posters
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting? Vote_lcapWhy Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting? Voting_barWhy Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting? Vote_rcap 
madmax 1
Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting? Vote_lcapWhy Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting? Voting_barWhy Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting? Vote_rcap 
REDRHINO64
ASPENDELLROVER
T.Rhino
123.bert0621
Firefighter
rhino727
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13
flimmy
Most Viewed Topics
Rhino 700 Electrical Problem - Solved!
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
NEW FORUM!
Sand Reeper
Hello hot rod forum
09 700 not charging when running
What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
go to new forum for tonight
Want Some Bigger Tires for the Rhino
How To Check Your Rhino 700 TPS
Most active topics
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
ALBA 734 Big Bore for 2011 Rhino 700
Picture Gallery
Truck picture thread.
What do you do for a living ?
New Yamaha SXS coming June 11 2013??.
EZ Steer Power Steering install
BUMPERS rhino.... evergoing build thread
Looking for a better holeshot
Show Your House/Compound
Top posting users this week
No user
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting?

Go down 
+4
banchee6
ASPENDELLROVER
Firefighter
ChrisH
8 posters
AuthorMessage
ChrisH

ChrisH

Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting? Empty
PostSubject: Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting?   Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting? Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 4:50 pm

For the 3rd time, my CVT intake and exhaust vents have melted. This is really starting to get frustrating. I have wrapped them in the aluminum heat tape. But now the tube has collapsed at the rubber joint. It looks like the tube got soft and just distorted under the clamp. Something has to give here. Any Suggestions?

Check out these pics

CVT intake:

Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting? Photo3_zpsf44cec57

CVT exhaust:

Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting? Photo2_zpsf6011bd6

Back to top Go down
Firefighter

Firefighter

PostSubject: Re: Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting?   Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting? Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 6:06 pm

It's getting too stinking HOT..........

Sorry Buddy, just had to say it.

It's going to be all about air flow. Where is You CVT inlet ?
Back to top Go down
ChrisH

ChrisH

PostSubject: Re: Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting?   Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting? Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 6:12 pm

What a comedian, lol
Rolling Eyes

All my CVT pipes are stock. There's got to be a heat guard or something. I feel like I need a physical heat shield between the CVT pipes and the header pipes. Maybe JBS can fab up some kind of shield like those trick radiator shields. Wink

I guess I'm just trying to figure out why I seem to be the only guy who keeps melting the CVT vents.

Firefighter wrote:
It's getting too stinking HOT..........

Sorry Buddy, just had to say it.

It's going to be all about air flow. Where is You CVT inlet ?
Back to top Go down
ASPENDELLROVER

ASPENDELLROVER

PostSubject: Re: Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting?   Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting? Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 6:22 pm

no chris I melted mine when I had an HW sheave, melted the cvt ducts and smoked the belt. I got a JBS sheave new ducts and wraped them in header wrap and then AL tape, no problems in 2000 miles. was it doing it before the 734? was it doing it before the muzzy? Did it do it after the burnout w/bleach?..lol
Back to top Go down
ChrisH

ChrisH

PostSubject: Re: Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting?   Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting? Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 6:29 pm

Bro, that burnout had no bleach. That was pure motor and stupidity generating a cloud of white smoke! geek

I melted my CVT exhaust vent when I was 100% stock.
I melted my ABS 2" hard pipe CVT exhaust snorkel pipe when I was stock motor with JBS sheave.
I melted my CVT intake vent when I ran the cam & throttle body combo and Muzzy duals.
Today, I discover both vent pipes ducts are melted with the built 734cc motor.

I need to figure out something because I this isn't going to work. I need to be able to drive through more than 15" of water.

ASPENDELL ROVER wrote:
no chris I melted mine when I had an HW sheave, melted the cvt ducts and smoked the belt. I got a JBS sheave new ducts and wraped them in header wrap and then AL tape, no problems in 2000 miles. was it doing it before the 734? was it doing it before the muzzy? Did it do it after the burnout w/bleach?..lol
Back to top Go down
Firefighter

Firefighter

PostSubject: Re: Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting?   Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting? Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 6:32 pm

So Do You feel like this is caused by exhaust heat or heat generated by the CVT
Back to top Go down
ChrisH

ChrisH

PostSubject: Re: Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting?   Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting? Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 6:32 pm

I am pretty sure this an exhaust heat issue
Back to top Go down
ASPENDELLROVER

ASPENDELLROVER

PostSubject: Re: Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting?   Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting? Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 6:37 pm

hmm, all stock and it melted? maybe its the Texas air.lol.. Don't know what to say, it gets hot here too in the Mojave dez. Maybe call James? keep us posted
Back to top Go down
Firefighter

Firefighter

PostSubject: Re: Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting?   Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting? Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 6:38 pm

Then I would say you need a heat shield . With Your skill, I think You can fab Your own. Study it.

3 types of heat transfer. conductive,convection,radiant...Then decide how to fix.reflect,disapate?
Back to top Go down
ChrisH

ChrisH

PostSubject: Re: Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting?   Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting? Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 6:47 pm

Good stuff, guys!
I feel like some kind of heat shield would fix all my problems. I believe the problem would be heat "convection." It's like an oven under the bed and those plastic parts can't take the heat of slow speed riding. The reflective tape kept the vents from melting a hole completely through this time, but now it seems like the ends of the pipe are getting soft and collapsing under the weight of the clamps. So, I suppose the problem I'm having now is a "convection" problem whereas before I had a "radiant" heat problem. Interesting.
Back to top Go down
banchee6

banchee6

PostSubject: Re: Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting?   Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting? Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 6:48 pm

if all you going it is 15" of water, get bigger tires cause i have 16" of ground clearence... lol!

i do know there is a machine out there that can bend sch. 40 pvc, might wanna look into it and see if you can make your own kit or put the snorkles back on so you can get everything wrapped better.... I havent melted one yet but i dont drive mine like i stole it either... Its a HIPPO i mean Rhino... not a race car
Back to top Go down
ChrisH

ChrisH

PostSubject: Re: Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting?   Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting? Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 6:55 pm

You are all a big ol bunch of jokers
jocolor

I am going to head on over to Lowes this week and try to come up with something on my own. I want to try and re-route the CVT vents farther away from the head pipes. You know, because I sometimes might need to drive through 15.5" of water... lol

Banchee or someone else who has made their own snorkel, can you post a pic of what kind of adapter you used to mate the snorkel pipe to the OEM rubber elbows? Or if you have a part number or something that would be great.

Summer is here and my desire to drive through water is pretty strong.
Back to top Go down
Firefighter

Firefighter

PostSubject: Re: Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting?   Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting? Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 7:12 pm

Good deal.....wheels are turning.....think about if You can get any air moving though the hot area or if You are going to have to reflect the heat
Back to top Go down
banchee6

banchee6

PostSubject: Re: Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting?   Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting? Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 8:06 pm

Ok, I used 1-1/2" PVC for mine. 1-1/2 by 2" couplings to connect to factory piping. If you use 2" PVC, it will slide inside and be a little loose. I took a piece of 1-1/2" and put it inside the rubber pieces and pushed it inside the stock snorkel pieces to clamp against. It's hard to explain without taking it apart and showing you. And I like you buddy, but I'm NOT unsealing it....... Lol. If you need more info call me. 985-518-588one

Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting? Null_zpse63184d8

Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting? Null_zpsa4d7fa0b

Or just come get these and toast everything. Lmao

Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting? Null_zps6b0c456d
Back to top Go down
madmax 1

madmax 1

PostSubject: Re: Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting?   Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting? Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 9:01 pm

if it is exhaust heat why not wrap the header
Back to top Go down
Workhorserhino

Workhorserhino

PostSubject: Re: Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting?   Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting? Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 10:12 pm

Another .02 cents for ya. You could consider slotting the bed floor. It would leave a lot of heat out then. Just another idea. Goodluck.
Back to top Go down
ChrisH

ChrisH

PostSubject: Re: Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting?   Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting? Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 11:37 am

I really appreciate the thoughts and pics.

I have tried header wrap on my stock exhaust, and it did seem to help a good bit. However, I did not have any good luck with it staying. I applied it wet, and I wrapped it tight like the directions said. I even painted it with the special silicone high-temp paint. But it came off in chunks.

I am going to try and wrap the Muzzy head pipes. Maybe I'll have better luck. if I use more hose clamps to secure the wrap. Then, I'm going to wrap the CVT vents in the header wrap, and then wrap them in the heat reflective tape.

I am not sure how I can make a metal heat shield fit where it needs to be. I will try to insulate those hot header pipes.
Back to top Go down
banchee6

banchee6

PostSubject: Re: Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting?   Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting? Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 11:39 am

I have stainless tie wraps on mine. So far so good.
Back to top Go down
onebuilder

onebuilder

PostSubject: Re: Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting?   Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting? Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 12:27 pm

Have you checked your air/ fuel mixture? Lean is mean, but does generate a lot of heat.
Maybe something at looking at.

Also, what heat range spark plug are you running? Just a thought a lot of guys don't consider.

Check this out
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/p2.asp
Back to top Go down
Junglerider

Junglerider

PostSubject: Re: Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting?   Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting? Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 6:32 pm

onebuilder wrote:
Have you checked your air/ fuel mixture? Lean is mean, but does generate a lot of heat.
Maybe something at looking at.

Also, what heat range spark plug are you running? Just a thought a lot of guys don't consider.

Check this out
http://www.ngksparkplugs.com/tech_support/spark_plugs/p2.asp

X2

Also restricting the exhaust with whisper cores will generate more heat. Free flow helps keep it cool.....at the expense of noise.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jungleatv.com
ASPENDELLROVER

ASPENDELLROVER

PostSubject: Re: Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting?   Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting? Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 7:04 pm

how's that volcano over there Jungle?
Back to top Go down
Junglerider

Junglerider

PostSubject: Re: Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting?   Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting? Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 7:24 pm

ASPENDELL ROVER wrote:
how's that volcano over there Jungle?

Which one? We got a few over here. I was at Arenal a few weeks ago, it was nice. I'll let it know you were asking about it. We're cool like that.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jungleatv.com
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting?   Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Why Do My CVT Vents Keep Melting?
Page 1 of 1

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM :: General Rhino :: General Rhino Discussion-
Jump to: