HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM

Yamaha Rhino

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Events  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Welcome to the forum!! also check us out at hotrodforums.net

Who is online?
In total there are 5 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 5 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 207 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:13 pm
Latest topics
» forum back open for posting
Fan By-Pass Switch Icon_minitimeWed Aug 16, 2023 1:17 pm by RADICAL RAM

» rhino 660 hid visionx headlights for sale
Fan By-Pass Switch Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 4:54 pm by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» New JBS Extreme sheave milling
Fan By-Pass Switch Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 1:28 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» NEW FORUM!
Fan By-Pass Switch Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 12:35 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
Fan By-Pass Switch Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 11:01 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Forgot what the new sites name is?????
Fan By-Pass Switch Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 10:59 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Truck picture thread.
Fan By-Pass Switch Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 9:33 am by Tacoclaw

» go to new forum for tonight
Fan By-Pass Switch Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:50 am by chuddly

» First rhino 09 450
Fan By-Pass Switch Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:47 am by chuddly

Top posters
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Fan By-Pass Switch Vote_lcapFan By-Pass Switch Voting_barFan By-Pass Switch Vote_rcap 
madmax 1
Fan By-Pass Switch Vote_lcapFan By-Pass Switch Voting_barFan By-Pass Switch Vote_rcap 
REDRHINO64
ASPENDELLROVER
T.Rhino
123.bert0621
Firefighter
rhino727
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13
flimmy
Most Viewed Topics
Rhino 700 Electrical Problem - Solved!
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
NEW FORUM!
Sand Reeper
Hello hot rod forum
09 700 not charging when running
What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
go to new forum for tonight
Want Some Bigger Tires for the Rhino
How To Check Your Rhino 700 TPS
Most active topics
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
ALBA 734 Big Bore for 2011 Rhino 700
Picture Gallery
Truck picture thread.
What do you do for a living ?
New Yamaha SXS coming June 11 2013??.
EZ Steer Power Steering install
BUMPERS rhino.... evergoing build thread
Looking for a better holeshot
Show Your House/Compound
Top posting users this week
No user
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Fan By-Pass Switch

Go down 
+9
Bayou Tiger
Vital
madmax 1
4x4ff
scottwv
SteveS
WV Hot Rod Rhino
T.Rhino
ASPENDELLROVER
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
ASPENDELLROVER

ASPENDELLROVER

Fan By-Pass Switch Empty
PostSubject: Fan By-Pass Switch   Fan By-Pass Switch Icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 8:32 pm

Who has installed a fan by pass switch? Is it worth the work it? When would you use it? My buddy just put one in his RZR and said it helped him run cooler. thx boys!
Back to top Go down
T.Rhino

T.Rhino

Fan By-Pass Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fan By-Pass Switch   Fan By-Pass Switch Icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 8:47 pm

I might be wrong but I thought alot of people installed them for water crossings and deep mud so you could turn your fan off so that the fan would not get burned up by pushing the water and causing a strain on the fan motor. But I would like to here other reasons if it does keep the engine cooler.
Back to top Go down
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Admin
WV Hot Rod Rhino

Fan By-Pass Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fan By-Pass Switch   Fan By-Pass Switch Icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 8:52 pm

we run one...nice to have for sure
Back to top Go down
ASPENDELLROVER

ASPENDELLROVER

Fan By-Pass Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fan By-Pass Switch   Fan By-Pass Switch Icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 9:15 pm

so when would you use it?....man of many words..lol
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

Fan By-Pass Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fan By-Pass Switch   Fan By-Pass Switch Icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 10:14 pm

T.Rhino wrote:
I might be wrong but I thought alot of people installed them for water crossings and deep mud so you could turn your fan off so that the fan would not get burned up by pushing the water and causing a strain on the fan motor. But I would like to here other reasons if it does keep the engine cooler.
Ahh, the fan-ALWAYS OFF mode takes a different bypass circuit than the fan-ALWAYS ON circuit mod. The ALWAYS-ON switch flavour is more commonly wanted. The combination circuit giving both options is certainly possible and easy to do,  using a Center Off Single Pole Double Throw 20 Amp rated switch. One fellow back on RF wanted to have idiot lights and a very specific arrangement of switch positions to control the 3 functions. I figured out a way to do that particular task using a Center Off DPDT switch and a Normally Closed relay (the problem being that he wanted the center position to be normal on operation, adding the extra complexity). Shout and I will dig some of that stuff up.
Back to top Go down
scottwv

Fan By-Pass Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fan By-Pass Switch   Fan By-Pass Switch Icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 10:25 pm

^^^....can I press "1" for enlish ?!?...lol!
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

Fan By-Pass Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fan By-Pass Switch   Fan By-Pass Switch Icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 10:38 pm

scottwv wrote:
Well, then this is not for you I guess. They sell kits for the normal fan bypass switch, ready to go. The kit instructions will be in the Queens enGlish.
Back to top Go down
ASPENDELLROVER

ASPENDELLROVER

Fan By-Pass Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fan By-Pass Switch   Fan By-Pass Switch Icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 11:19 pm

again what is the purpose and how much does it really help? besides James who else has done it? I understand you can turn the fan on when you want but why mess with it?
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

Fan By-Pass Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fan By-Pass Switch   Fan By-Pass Switch Icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2013 12:08 am

ASPENDELL ROVER wrote:
again what is the purpose and how much does it really help? besides James who else has done it? I understand you can turn the fan on when you want but why mess with it?

Well, if you force the fan to stay on all the time it will make the water in the circuit cooler than it would be normally. Then when you put a really heavy load on the engine it will take a bit longer to get to a critical overheat temperature. I suppose that is where a 'fan always on' could be helpful. I don't really see that it is very helpful unless the cooling system is borderline in it's ability to keep up, such as a built engine that is close to overtaxing the radiator, etc.

The other fan control mode where you force the fan to 'stay off' is a bit more obvious. If you are out playng submarine commander, you would turn the fan control switch to 'always off' before you hit the deep water. As was mentioned, it is not a really good idea for the fan to be stalled out because it could not turn the blades in the water. It would likely be fun for the Captain to have that switch over in the First Mate's compartment so that you could shout out into the comm, "FANS OFF", before he gave the order "SUBMERGE TO 7 FATHOMS".... HaHa
Back to top Go down
4x4ff

4x4ff

Fan By-Pass Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fan By-Pass Switch   Fan By-Pass Switch Icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2013 12:11 am

SteveS wrote:
T.Rhino wrote:
Ahh, the fan-ALWAYS OFF mode takes a different bypass circuit than the fan-ALWAYS ON circuit mod. The ALWAYS-ON switch flavour is more commonly wanted. The combination circuit giving both options is certainly possible and easy to do,  using a Center Off Single Pole Double Throw 20 Amp rated switch. One fellow back on RF wanted to have idiot lights and a very specific arrangement of switch positions to control the 3 functions. I figured out a way to do that particular task using a Center Off DPDT switch and a Normally Closed relay (the problem being that he wanted the center position to be normal on operation, adding the extra complexity). Shout and I will dig some of that stuff up.

That was me SteveS. I have it wired up and it works PERFECTLY. up is fan always on. Middle is normal stock operation and down is fan off (for water crossings). I put the idiot lights in for safety (and because I forget things). I have a green one that comes on when the fan is running. I have a big red LED that comes on if I turn the fan off. That way I don't forget that its off.

Steve
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

Fan By-Pass Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fan By-Pass Switch   Fan By-Pass Switch Icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2013 12:23 am

4x4ff wrote:
That was me SteveS.  I have it wired up and it works PERFECTLY.  up is fan always on.  Middle is normal stock operation and down is fan off (for water crossings).  I put the idiot lights in for safety (and because I forget things).  I have a green one that comes on when the fan is running.  I have a big red LED that comes on if I turn the fan off.  That way I don't forget that its off.
AhHa, forgive me as I lose track of who is who. Yeah that is a brain twister circuit. I thought that it would have to be a rotary switch at first, if I remember correctly. If it was Detroit, it would have used a Microprocessor to control it, and been called the 'Fan Control Computer' module! I can see the reasoning behind the spec's. I'm glad that it is working well for you.
Back to top Go down
scottwv

Fan By-Pass Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fan By-Pass Switch   Fan By-Pass Switch Icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2013 8:31 am

ASPENDELL ROVER wrote:

On a hot day (you know how warm it is inside theese things) you can turn it on for a while , and it'll kool it off somewhat. My fan kicks on some where around 208 , so I'll do like Steve said, turn it on for a while , till temp drops down to 'round 150-160 , then turn it back off. On a long hill (in hot weather) the temp will go over 210 , if I do not turn it on prior to. Keep in mind , theese #'s are from an electric gauge...I don't know if they're "exact" or not.
Back to top Go down
scottwv

Fan By-Pass Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fan By-Pass Switch   Fan By-Pass Switch Icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2013 8:39 am

SteveS wrote:
scottwv wrote:
Well, then this is not for you I guess. They sell kits for the normal fan bypass switch, ready to go. The kit instructions will be in the Queens enGlish.

Lol...I did one of the "kits" already...whenever I opened up the pack , I thought, hmmm , I had all of this crap layin around. Oh well ! I know a couple guy's that "rolled their own" , not running a relay...they say the relay isn't needed. Is the relay needed for this to be "correct" ??
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

Fan By-Pass Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fan By-Pass Switch   Fan By-Pass Switch Icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2013 10:01 am

scottwv wrote:
Lol...I did one of the "kits" already...whenever I opened up the pack , I thought, hmmm ,  I had all of this crap layin around.  Oh well !  I know a couple guy's that "rolled their own" , not running a relay...they say the relay isn't needed.  Is the relay needed for this to be "correct"  ??
No, a relay is not needed for the simple 'fan-forced-on/fan-normal' bypass function. The relay was for a complicated 'fan-forced-on/fan-normal/fan-forced-off' configuration with switch positions that were not natural for a simple switch. You do not need to worry about what you have set up, if it is working the way that you want.
Back to top Go down
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Admin
WV Hot Rod Rhino

Fan By-Pass Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fan By-Pass Switch   Fan By-Pass Switch Icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2013 10:16 am

i feel a little dumber every time i read another one of steves post...lmao...makes me wanna learn more about wiring...lol....im glad we have you steve!!!
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

Fan By-Pass Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fan By-Pass Switch   Fan By-Pass Switch Icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2013 10:29 am

WV Hot Rod Rhino wrote:
i feel a little dumber every time i read another one of steves post...lmao...makes me wanna learn more about wiring...lol....im glad we have you steve!!!
Well, thanks, I'm glad to be here! Not to worry about the electrics, 'cause you have to have a twisted mind and think backwards sometimes. It is a curse, I dare say. LOL

We all have our talents, and this is certainly the site to put them to good use!
Back to top Go down
ASPENDELLROVER

ASPENDELLROVER

Fan By-Pass Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fan By-Pass Switch   Fan By-Pass Switch Icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2013 1:06 pm

thanks guys, I gonna try the standard set up since we dont have any water out here, just heat, if it could run cooler,I'm down with that..

p.s  Scott now that I hardly break a sweat with my PS the lower motor temps with my fan "on" will be even better for this "girlie" man....almost sounds like "AC"...lol
Back to top Go down
scottwv

Fan By-Pass Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fan By-Pass Switch   Fan By-Pass Switch Icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2013 6:01 pm

Now ur 1 beer (ya right!!) will cause those girlie hands to get cold...better hit James up for a few extra doozies , just in case ya happen to loose one!!!  I'd hate to hear about those manicured hands gettin frost-bit from an ice cold barley-pop!!!  Lmao
Back to top Go down
scottwv

Fan By-Pass Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fan By-Pass Switch   Fan By-Pass Switch Icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2013 6:06 pm

All bs aside, runnin the fan manually for a while ,  drops the temp inside the cab , quite a bit. I also pull my doors off (j-strong) in the summer months as well. I made two bars the bolt to the cage , and come back to below the seat , to keep legs from floppin out !!
Back to top Go down
scottwv

Fan By-Pass Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fan By-Pass Switch   Fan By-Pass Switch Icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2013 6:07 pm

SteveS wrote:
scottwv wrote:
Lol...I did one of the "kits" already...whenever I opened up the pack , I thought, hmmm ,  I had all of this crap layin around.  Oh well !  I know a couple guy's that "rolled their own" , not running a relay...they say the relay isn't needed.  Is the relay needed for this to be "correct"  ??
No, a relay is not needed for the simple 'fan-forced-on/fan-normal' bypass function. The relay was for a complicated 'fan-forced-on/fan-normal/fan-forced-off' configuration with switch positions that were not natural for a simple switch. You do not need to worry about what you have set up, if it is working the way that you want.

My "kit" came with a relay...do I need to do away with it ??
Back to top Go down
madmax 1

madmax 1

Fan By-Pass Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fan By-Pass Switch   Fan By-Pass Switch Icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2013 6:43 pm

use mine a lot in the summer when the rhino sometimes is a log skidder
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

Fan By-Pass Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fan By-Pass Switch   Fan By-Pass Switch Icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2013 7:41 pm

scottwv wrote:
My "kit" came with a relay...do I need to do away with it ??
No, I would not do away with the relay. It may be there because the switch being used may be under-rated for the fan current. That happens if a 'pretty' switch is used instead of a industrial strength old-fashioned bat handled toggle switch. Those toggle switches have a good satisfying 'thwack' sound to them when you flip them. The rust on the handle gives them a bit of charm, as well.
Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Vital

Fan By-Pass Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fan By-Pass Switch   Fan By-Pass Switch Icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2013 6:41 pm

Like a lot of other people in this thread, I turn my fan on all the time to get a jump start on cooling her down. We ride a lot of trails and sometimes we get caught in some slow traffic and I run my fan to help out. My fan doesnt come on normally until 200+ so I like to run it much sooner than that.
Back to top Go down
ASPENDELLROVER

ASPENDELLROVER

Fan By-Pass Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fan By-Pass Switch   Fan By-Pass Switch Icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2013 8:55 pm

post some pics Vital of that machine!
Back to top Go down
T.Rhino

T.Rhino

Fan By-Pass Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fan By-Pass Switch   Fan By-Pass Switch Icon_minitimeSat Jul 13, 2013 9:23 pm

ASPENDELL ROVER wrote:
post some pics Vital of that machine!
x2
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fan By-Pass Switch Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fan By-Pass Switch   Fan By-Pass Switch Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fan By-Pass Switch
Page 1 of 3Go to page : 1, 2, 3  Next