HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM

Yamaha Rhino

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Events  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Welcome to the forum!! also check us out at hotrodforums.net

Who is online?
In total there are 12 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 12 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 207 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:13 pm
Latest topics
» forum back open for posting
Educate me please Icon_minitimeWed Aug 16, 2023 1:17 pm by RADICAL RAM

» rhino 660 hid visionx headlights for sale
Educate me please Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 4:54 pm by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» New JBS Extreme sheave milling
Educate me please Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 1:28 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» NEW FORUM!
Educate me please Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 12:35 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
Educate me please Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 11:01 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Forgot what the new sites name is?????
Educate me please Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 10:59 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Truck picture thread.
Educate me please Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 9:33 am by Tacoclaw

» go to new forum for tonight
Educate me please Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:50 am by chuddly

» First rhino 09 450
Educate me please Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:47 am by chuddly

Top posters
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Educate me please Vote_lcapEducate me please Voting_barEducate me please Vote_rcap 
madmax 1
Educate me please Vote_lcapEducate me please Voting_barEducate me please Vote_rcap 
REDRHINO64
ASPENDELLROVER
T.Rhino
123.bert0621
Firefighter
rhino727
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13
flimmy
Most Viewed Topics
Rhino 700 Electrical Problem - Solved!
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
NEW FORUM!
Sand Reeper
Hello hot rod forum
09 700 not charging when running
What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
go to new forum for tonight
Want Some Bigger Tires for the Rhino
How To Check Your Rhino 700 TPS
Most active topics
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
ALBA 734 Big Bore for 2011 Rhino 700
Picture Gallery
Truck picture thread.
What do you do for a living ?
New Yamaha SXS coming June 11 2013??.
EZ Steer Power Steering install
BUMPERS rhino.... evergoing build thread
Looking for a better holeshot
Show Your House/Compound
Top posting users this week
No user
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Educate me please

Go down 
+9
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13
SteveS
JBFIREMAN
Pokahpolice
Quadog
Firefighter
ASPENDELLROVER
WV Hot Rod Rhino
chuddly
13 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
chuddly

chuddly

Educate me please Empty
PostSubject: Educate me please   Educate me please Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 3:30 pm

I have been looking at all the upgrades that can be done and where to start. It seems that the best place to start is clutch/sheave and CDI (feel free to correct my vocab if im going about it wrong). What all do i need for the clutch/sheave upgrade? Im planning on going with the JBS. And to be real honest i thought about the tri-fire CDI because i like the idea of the kid switch (i know its not the favored vendor around here so if you know of another one that has the same feature im open to suggestions). Im just looking for an education on what i need. I have the mechanical ability to put it on no problem...just need to figure out what to order.

Thanks in advance guys
Back to top Go down
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Admin
WV Hot Rod Rhino

Educate me please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Educate me please   Educate me please Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 3:50 pm

lol..you can say it if you want to...i just always stood up for my sheave cause it worked better and they all said it didnt and now we have numbers to prove it..if something is better we all need it!!!...
Back to top Go down
ASPENDELLROVER

ASPENDELLROVER

Educate me please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Educate me please   Educate me please Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 3:52 pm

JBS sheave 1st, best upgrade I made to the rhino. If you dont have the resi shocks they make a huge differnce but they are 500-600 used. Radial tires are nice too. Hid replacements are a "night and day diff". JBS radiator guards keep the mud out and help ya run cool. hope that helps
Back to top Go down
Firefighter

Firefighter

Educate me please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Educate me please   Educate me please Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 4:10 pm

chuddly, I think Your on the right track already. CDI and JBS sheave. Depending on machine, preferences and riding conditions, You can then move to "creature features"
Back to top Go down
Firefighter

Firefighter

Educate me please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Educate me please   Educate me please Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 4:22 pm

To answer You other question, I'm not sure if other brand CDI's have child switch or not
Back to top Go down
Quadog

Quadog

Educate me please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Educate me please   Educate me please Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 4:27 pm

I think I have a child switch on me somewhere and I keep accidentally hitting it.
Back to top Go down
Firefighter

Firefighter

Educate me please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Educate me please   Educate me please Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 4:35 pm

lol Me too ! Must be on my a**, cause every time I set in the Rhino, the kid comes out !
Back to top Go down
Pokahpolice

Pokahpolice

Educate me please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Educate me please   Educate me please Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 4:55 pm

Flame me if you want guys but I do not think a sheave and CDI should be your first upgrades...at least they weren't for me.

Take your Rhino out and put some hours on it in the terrain you plan on riding. Then decide what your priorities are. If you like to hit mud a winch may be more important than a sheave (I know guys a sheave is going to help with pull in the mud). If you hate bottoming out suspension might be more important to you than a sheave. If you love riding at night, better lights may be a priority. If you want better acceleration and top end than a sheave and CDI are the correct route.

For me the suspension was so bad I couldn't image diving into better motor and clutch mods until I solved the issue with how bad it handled.
Back to top Go down
Firefighter

Firefighter

Educate me please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Educate me please   Educate me please Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 5:00 pm

Good Point ! Just because performance was my first objective, doesn't mean it's every bodies. Thanks Bruce !
Back to top Go down
Firefighter

Firefighter

Educate me please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Educate me please   Educate me please Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 5:06 pm

chuddly, What is Your machine and what would You like for it to do better ?
What kind of riding do You like to do ?
Back to top Go down
JBFIREMAN

JBFIREMAN

Educate me please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Educate me please   Educate me please Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 8:38 pm

RM STATOR makes a CDI with the kid switch I ran one and like it, and the hid lights are great if you ride at night I got the plug n plays for my stock lights.
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

Educate me please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Educate me please   Educate me please Icon_minitimeWed Mar 13, 2013 10:04 pm

As far as the 'child/brother in law' switch, it is an easy enough mod, for any 660 at least. To enable a rev limiter that comes on at about 4000 RPM (about 25 mph in high gear), you simply disconnect the green/white stripe wire going to the reverse sense switch. When disconnected, the reverse indicator light on the dash comes on and the low speed rev limiter comes on for all gear settings and neutral. You can do this with a simple switch in-line anywhere on the green/white wire between the CDI and the reverse sensor switch. With the switch in the open position the rev limiter will be on, and with the switch in the closed position, the machine will operate normally.
Back to top Go down
chuddly

chuddly

Educate me please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Educate me please   Educate me please Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2013 7:43 am

Firefighter wrote:
chuddly, What is Your machine and what would You like for it to do better ?
What kind of riding do You like to do ?

I have an 05 660. I have already put a rear seat in it (for the kids) and will extend the roll cage in the next week or so. I havnt gotten enough seat time with it to really know what i cant live with/without on it yet. I never leave things alone though and im sure i will end up doing alot of mods to it. I guess when i said "bone stock" i wasnt thinking about the winch it already had. Most of my riding will be putting around on 90 acres we have and the trails we have cut. But I hope to be able to take it on some more trips to off road parks. Im not a huge "mud fan". Not that i hate mud...its just not what I enjoy. I like more technical trails and so on.

More power is always a good thing to me. I may want to lift the front end up a little and stuff some bigger tires under it (not to much bigger). I still need it to be docile for my son to drive it (hence the "kid switch"). I cant tell you if the suspension will bug me or not because i dont have the full weight in it yet and i have yet to trail ride with it in its final set up. It still needs to be able to work some also and haul wood and so on.

I know its a tall order but i think the Rhino is the right platform to start from...just a few minor teaks and it will be perfect.
Back to top Go down
Quadog

Quadog

Educate me please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Educate me please   Educate me please Icon_minitimeThu Mar 14, 2013 9:02 am

Backup lights & some tunes are good mods to have. Dome lights are good too. 2" lift kit is an easy mod. Front stock a arm guards are puny & need upgraded. New skids never hurt. I've heard that you can pick up about 5 mph just by putting a JBS sticker on it.
Back to top Go down
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

Educate me please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Educate me please   Educate me please Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 9:07 pm

If you got the need for power, low end, top end , and speed, JBS Sheave is the way to go.cheers
Back to top Go down
Firefighter

Firefighter

Educate me please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Educate me please   Educate me please Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 10:27 pm

Sorry Man, forgot about this post. Have You done anything with it yet ?
Back to top Go down
hymarker

hymarker

Educate me please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Educate me please   Educate me please Icon_minitimeWed Mar 27, 2013 11:24 pm

Pretty sure my msd has a kid setting on it. Think it is setting 9? Maybe I am wrong.
Back to top Go down
chuddly

chuddly

Educate me please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Educate me please   Educate me please Icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2013 7:08 am

Firefighter wrote:
no problem.....i put the CDI on a couple days ago but i haven't had a chance to go out and really see how it does with it (I wont tell the brand due to the brand it is....sorry guys it just had the features i was looking for). I still plan to do the sheave kit from James in the near future but im not in a HUGE hurry or anything. Although i do need to pick up some grease and a belt from him before i even do the sheave. The previous owner didn't know what maintenance was.
Back to top Go down
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Admin
WV Hot Rod Rhino

Educate me please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Educate me please   Educate me please Icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2013 9:05 am

chuddly wrote:
Firefighter wrote:
no problem.....i put the CDI on a couple days ago but i haven't had a chance to go out and really see how it does with it (I wont tell the brand due to the brand it is....sorry guys it just had the features i was looking for). I still plan to do the sheave kit from James in the near future but im not in a HUGE hurry or anything. Although i do need to pick up some grease and a belt from him before i even do the sheave. The previous owner didn't know what maintenance was.

you can post it so the info is there for others....i dont mind...lol..open forum...let me know what you need..thanks
Back to top Go down
Firefighter

Firefighter

Educate me please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Educate me please   Educate me please Icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2013 9:46 am

Good deal Chuddly. In my opinion, the CDI needs to be done before the sheave on a 660, On a 700, I think You can do the sheave first with big gains.
Back to top Go down
chuddly

chuddly

Educate me please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Educate me please   Educate me please Icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2013 10:04 am

Yeah i thought the same thing...i was hitting the rev limiter with the stock CDI so changing the sheave first would just make me hit the rev limiter faster. To me that doesnt make a whole lot of sense. So i changed the CDI first to see what it would do and then (in pretty short order) i will get a sheave kit from James and i should be good to go....for a while anyway.

James im gonna shoot you a PM about a couple things i need before the sheave (belt and grease) and i would like to get those coming first.
Back to top Go down
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Admin
WV Hot Rod Rhino

Educate me please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Educate me please   Educate me please Icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2013 10:44 am

thanks
Back to top Go down
thekevin

thekevin

Educate me please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Educate me please   Educate me please Icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2013 11:50 am

I think as far as the mods I have so far the CDI was the most important because hitting the rev limiter all the time was very annoying. I have my sheave on order, I ordered it 3 days after I bought my Rhino. I like my exhaust and I think it helped out with the throttle response and I think my acceleration from 0 - 30 was greatly improved with it but it is not necessity by any means. I am on the fence about the winches, I bought one with my Rhino because I got a deal on it with the initial purchase. I know you probably won't use it often, or maybe ever, but if you ever do get in a sticky situation there is no way to muscle a Rhino around because they are just too heavy.
Back to top Go down
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

Educate me please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Educate me please   Educate me please Icon_minitimeThu Mar 28, 2013 8:27 pm

Windshield, roof, back windshield, JBS Sheave, and cdi if speed is your thing because I can't get past 44 anyway without running out of road.
Back to top Go down
wisertooshort

Educate me please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Educate me please   Educate me please Icon_minitimeFri Mar 29, 2013 1:26 am

Don't forget a siphon break.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Educate me please Empty
PostSubject: Re: Educate me please   Educate me please Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Educate me please
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next

Permissions in this forum:You cannot reply to topics in this forum
HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM :: General Rhino :: General Rhino Discussion-
Jump to: