HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM

Yamaha Rhino

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Events  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Welcome to the forum!! also check us out at hotrodforums.net

Who is online?
In total there are 20 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 20 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 207 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:13 pm
Latest topics
» forum back open for posting
no neutral light, no start. no ground? Icon_minitimeWed Aug 16, 2023 1:17 pm by RADICAL RAM

» rhino 660 hid visionx headlights for sale
no neutral light, no start. no ground? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 4:54 pm by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» New JBS Extreme sheave milling
no neutral light, no start. no ground? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 1:28 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» NEW FORUM!
no neutral light, no start. no ground? Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 12:35 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
no neutral light, no start. no ground? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 11:01 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Forgot what the new sites name is?????
no neutral light, no start. no ground? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 10:59 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Truck picture thread.
no neutral light, no start. no ground? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 9:33 am by Tacoclaw

» go to new forum for tonight
no neutral light, no start. no ground? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:50 am by chuddly

» First rhino 09 450
no neutral light, no start. no ground? Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:47 am by chuddly

Top posters
WV Hot Rod Rhino
no neutral light, no start. no ground? Vote_lcapno neutral light, no start. no ground? Voting_barno neutral light, no start. no ground? Vote_rcap 
madmax 1
no neutral light, no start. no ground? Vote_lcapno neutral light, no start. no ground? Voting_barno neutral light, no start. no ground? Vote_rcap 
REDRHINO64
ASPENDELLROVER
T.Rhino
123.bert0621
Firefighter
rhino727
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13
flimmy
Most Viewed Topics
Rhino 700 Electrical Problem - Solved!
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
NEW FORUM!
Sand Reeper
Hello hot rod forum
09 700 not charging when running
What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
go to new forum for tonight
Want Some Bigger Tires for the Rhino
How To Check Your Rhino 700 TPS
Most active topics
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
ALBA 734 Big Bore for 2011 Rhino 700
Picture Gallery
Truck picture thread.
What do you do for a living ?
New Yamaha SXS coming June 11 2013??.
EZ Steer Power Steering install
BUMPERS rhino.... evergoing build thread
Looking for a better holeshot
Show Your House/Compound
Top posting users this week
No user
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

no neutral light, no start. no ground?

Go down 
+2
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13
08Rhino450SE
6 posters
AuthorMessage
08Rhino450SE

08Rhino450SE

no neutral light, no start. no ground? Empty
PostSubject: no neutral light, no start. no ground?   no neutral light, no start. no ground? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 10:55 am

my bro-in-law has an 06 660 that won't start due to not having a neutral light.
i think it's some kind of safety lockout or something.
he also can't start it in gear, even with the brake pedal depressed.

if he takes off the engine cover and jiggles a few wires, the neutral light will come on, and it will start.

somebody suggested jumping the solenoid (to bypass safety features) but he doesn't want to because kids could start it in gear.

Steve? anybody??? bounce
Back to top Go down
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

PostSubject: Re: no neutral light, no start. no ground?   no neutral light, no start. no ground? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 11:01 am

My neutral light has never came on but still starts fine.
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

PostSubject: Re: no neutral light, no start. no ground?   no neutral light, no start. no ground? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 11:39 am

08Rhino450SE wrote:
my bro-in-law has an 06 660 that won't start due to not having a neutral light. i think it's some kind of safety lockout or something. he also can't start it in gear, even with the brake pedal depressed.

if he takes off the engine cover and jiggles a few wires, the neutral light will come on, and it will start..........

The first thing that jumps out at me here is 'jiggle a few wires'. It would seem that there is some sort of continuity problem in the wiring. Look carefully at what wires respond to the jiggling and look carefully at what is happening at the ends of the wires. If you can catch the connection that is 'fixing the problem', then dig deeper and find a way to make a permanent fix. You are looking for frayed wires, broken insulation, corroded crimps or corroded/loose connections, and whatever....... A flashlight and perhaps a magnifying glass can be helpful. This can be an irritating procedure, but be patient and careful. You will likely be rewarded.

Here is a good report on fixing a flakey Neutral sense switch: https://hotrodrhinoforums.forumotion.com/t839-simple-n-light-fix

Last edited by SteveS on Mon Apr 22, 2013 11:50 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
chuddly

chuddly

PostSubject: Re: no neutral light, no start. no ground?   no neutral light, no start. no ground? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 11:46 am

has he tried to start it in gear with the brake pedal pressed down? They will start that way also.
Back to top Go down
08Rhino450SE

08Rhino450SE

PostSubject: Re: no neutral light, no start. no ground?   no neutral light, no start. no ground? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 12:09 pm

duh.
i saw the post about the flakey neutral switch last week but didn't read it because i thought it was about the light switch on the dashboard.
anybody have a part no. for the switch?

would that also affect the brake pedal switch that doesn't work when you try to start it?

thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

PostSubject: Re: no neutral light, no start. no ground?   no neutral light, no start. no ground? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 12:22 pm

08Rhino450SE wrote:
.............would that also affect the brake pedal switch that doesn't work when you try to start it?..........

It will not directly affect the operation of the brake switch signal. There is a diode separator in the circuit, but that is a subject for later.

It could be that your brake light switch is not working either. The most common problem is the brake light switch being misadjusted. With the ignition switch on, press the brake pedal down hard. The brake lights at the rear of the Rhino should come on. If not try actuating the switch itself by hand, to see if you can make the brake lights come on. That switch is located on the other side of the firewall from the brake pedal pivot point. If you study how the switch is connected to the linkage you should be able to see how to adjust it.
Back to top Go down
08Rhino450SE

08Rhino450SE

PostSubject: Re: no neutral light, no start. no ground?   no neutral light, no start. no ground? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 12:23 pm

thanks, steve i'll check everything over and geterdone. bounce
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

PostSubject: Re: no neutral light, no start. no ground?   no neutral light, no start. no ground? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 12:29 pm

08Rhino450SE wrote:
thanks, steve i'll check everything over and geterdone. bounce

Alright, keep in mind that when you jiggle the wires the neutral light comes on. That means that the problem is close at hand. You just have to track it down.

As far as the neutral switch itself, the report goes into cleaning and resurfacing the switch contacts. The switch is likely repairable if that turns out to be the issue. It is conceivable that wiggling the wires is moving the switch contact ever so slightly and making the contact achieve a connection?
Back to top Go down
08Rhino450SE

08Rhino450SE

PostSubject: Re: no neutral light, no start. no ground?   no neutral light, no start. no ground? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 12:41 pm

SteveS wrote:
The switch is likely repairable if that turns out to be the issue. It is conceivable that wiggling the wires is moving the switch contact ever so slightly and making the contact achieve a connection?

yup. i think the switch is the culprit, and jiggling the wires is a secondary issue.

i've looked at the parts diagrams and haven't been able so far to come up with a part number.
have you been able to find the part no.? it might be wise to order a spare before i go digging into it.
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

PostSubject: Re: no neutral light, no start. no ground?   no neutral light, no start. no ground? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 1:12 pm

08Rhino450SE wrote:
SteveS wrote:
The switch is likely repairable if that turns out to be the issue. It is conceivable that wiggling the wires is moving the switch contact ever so slightly and making the contact achieve a connection?

yup. i think the switch is the culprit, and jiggling the wires is a secondary issue.

i've looked at the parts diagrams and haven't been able so far to come up with a part number.
have you been able to find the part no.? it might be wise to order a spare before i go digging into it.

James seems to be into getting stock on common repair items. Perhaps he will chime in and give us a hand?
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

PostSubject: Re: no neutral light, no start. no ground?   no neutral light, no start. no ground? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 1:36 pm

Well, this is what I found. Pretty spendy for such a cheap looking thing Suspect

I got this by searching in 2004. Its likely the same throughout the years, but probably worth a closer search for your particular model and year.

no neutral light, no start. no ground? Neutralswitchassy

http://www.partshark.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=744974&category=utilityvehicles&make=YAMAHA&year=2004&fveh=20256
Back to top Go down
08Rhino450SE

08Rhino450SE

PostSubject: Re: no neutral light, no start. no ground?   no neutral light, no start. no ground? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 3:10 pm

SteveS wrote:
Well, this is what I found. Pretty spendy for such a cheap looking thing Suspect

I got this by searching in 2004. Its likely the same throughout the years, but probably worth a closer search for your particular model and year.

no neutral light, no start. no ground? Neutralswitchassy

http://www.partshark.com/fiche_section_detail.asp?section=744974&category=utilityvehicles&make=YAMAHA&year=2004&fveh=20256

yeah, really. cranked up the google machine and it seems to be a pretty common condition. talk about grounding a green & white wire fixes it also, but you don't retain the neutral or reverse light on the screen.
thanks for the help, STEVE!
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

PostSubject: Re: no neutral light, no start. no ground?   no neutral light, no start. no ground? Icon_minitimeMon Apr 22, 2013 3:17 pm

08Rhino450SE wrote:
yeah, really. cranked up the google machine and it seems to be a pretty common condition. talk about grounding a green & white wire fixes it also, but you don't retain the neutral or reverse light on the screen.
thanks for the help, STEVE!

Be a bit skeptical about the green/white wire "fix". That is for a problem with the Reverse sense switch and not the Neutral sense switch. People do tend to get the two things confused. The green/white wire has nothing to do with the Neutral light coming on.
Back to top Go down
08Rhino450SE

08Rhino450SE

PostSubject: Re: no neutral light, no start. no ground?   no neutral light, no start. no ground? Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 10:50 am

UPDATE: pulled neutral switch. previous owner had siliconed it into a wrong position and there was major "scoring" wear. replaced the switch and it's working like new again.

(one thing, though, it is on the DRIVER'S SIDE of the engine. it has been referred to as on the right side of the engine and that was confusing to me)

thanks for your help, guys, y'all rock! no neutral light, no start. no ground? 2016508534 no neutral light, no start. no ground? 2016508534 no neutral light, no start. no ground? 2016508534
Back to top Go down
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

PostSubject: Re: no neutral light, no start. no ground?   no neutral light, no start. no ground? Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 10:59 am

That's great maybe this would fix mine too!no neutral light, no start. no ground? 2016508534
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

PostSubject: Re: no neutral light, no start. no ground?   no neutral light, no start. no ground? Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 11:33 am

08Rhino450SE wrote:
........(one thing, though, it is on the DRIVER'S SIDE of the engine. it has been referred to as on the right side of the engine and that was confusing to me).........

Yeah, that should have been stated as the 'CORRECT' side of the engine..... Laughing
Back to top Go down
08Rhino450SE

08Rhino450SE

PostSubject: Re: no neutral light, no start. no ground?   no neutral light, no start. no ground? Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 3:12 pm

CustomizedRhino13 wrote:
That's great maybe this would fix mine too!no neutral light, no start. no ground? 2016508534

quite possible, grasshopper. next time you're under the hood, take a look. it's on the driver's side:

no neutral light, no start. no ground? Switch10
Back to top Go down
foyota86

foyota86

PostSubject: Re: no neutral light, no start. no ground?   no neutral light, no start. no ground? Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 6:30 pm

08Rhino450SE wrote:
UPDATE: pulled neutral switch. previous owner had siliconed it into a wrong position and there was major "scoring" wear. replaced the switch and it's working like new again.

(one thing, though, it is on the DRIVER'S SIDE of the engine. it has been referred to as on the right side of the engine and that was confusing to me)

thanks for your help, guys, y'all rock! no neutral light, no start. no ground? 2016508534 no neutral light, no start. no ground? 2016508534 no neutral light, no start. no ground? 2016508534

My bad guys, it is on the drivers side. I should have paid better attention and took a few more pics. I always get confused on explaining sides. Since my fix, I have taken it back off to clean it again and it seems to work a lot better. I think proper linkage adjustment is key also.
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

PostSubject: Re: no neutral light, no start. no ground?   no neutral light, no start. no ground? Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 10:36 pm

foyota86 wrote:
.......I always get confused on explaining sides...........

Me too, especially when listening to talk about Politics. I have yet to figure out what is Left and what is Right, and why that description came to be. Something to do with Wright and Rong? Is it backwards politics in England, where they drive on the Rong side of the road? Oh, that reminds me, you have to specify the Nationality when you say 'Driver's side'....... It's just a no win situation all around, so shut your trap and show me a picture!

no neutral light, no start. no ground? 592698436
Back to top Go down
Deuces wild

Deuces wild

PostSubject: Re: no neutral light, no start. no ground?   no neutral light, no start. no ground? Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 11:43 pm

I'm pretty sure you never want to be on the left. So I guess you could go with the right and the wrong side of things. Just my politics.
Back to top Go down
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

PostSubject: Re: no neutral light, no start. no ground?   no neutral light, no start. no ground? Icon_minitimeTue May 07, 2013 11:50 pm

08Rhino450SE wrote:
CustomizedRhino13 wrote:

quite possible, grasshopper. next time you're under the hood, take a look. it's on the driver's side:

no neutral light, no start. no ground? Switch10
Thanks I'll take a look at it, is this the part you can clean the terminals also or just replace?
Back to top Go down
08Rhino450SE

08Rhino450SE

PostSubject: Re: no neutral light, no start. no ground?   no neutral light, no start. no ground? Icon_minitimeWed May 08, 2013 10:52 am

yes, mckay, there's more info on the other neutral light post:

https://hotrodrhinoforums.forumotion.com/t839-simple-n-light-fix
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: no neutral light, no start. no ground?   no neutral light, no start. no ground? Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

no neutral light, no start. no ground?
Page 1 of 1