HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM

Yamaha Rhino

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Events  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Welcome to the forum!! also check us out at hotrodforums.net

Who is online?
In total there are 31 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 31 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 207 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:13 pm
Latest topics
» forum back open for posting
big bore opinions Icon_minitimeWed Aug 16, 2023 1:17 pm by RADICAL RAM

» rhino 660 hid visionx headlights for sale
big bore opinions Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 4:54 pm by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» New JBS Extreme sheave milling
big bore opinions Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 1:28 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» NEW FORUM!
big bore opinions Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 12:35 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
big bore opinions Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 11:01 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Forgot what the new sites name is?????
big bore opinions Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 10:59 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Truck picture thread.
big bore opinions Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 9:33 am by Tacoclaw

» go to new forum for tonight
big bore opinions Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:50 am by chuddly

» First rhino 09 450
big bore opinions Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:47 am by chuddly

Top posters
WV Hot Rod Rhino
big bore opinions Vote_lcapbig bore opinions Voting_barbig bore opinions Vote_rcap 
madmax 1
big bore opinions Vote_lcapbig bore opinions Voting_barbig bore opinions Vote_rcap 
REDRHINO64
ASPENDELLROVER
T.Rhino
123.bert0621
Firefighter
rhino727
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13
flimmy
Most Viewed Topics
Rhino 700 Electrical Problem - Solved!
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
NEW FORUM!
Sand Reeper
Hello hot rod forum
09 700 not charging when running
What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
go to new forum for tonight
Want Some Bigger Tires for the Rhino
How To Check Your Rhino 700 TPS
Most active topics
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
ALBA 734 Big Bore for 2011 Rhino 700
Picture Gallery
Truck picture thread.
What do you do for a living ?
New Yamaha SXS coming June 11 2013??.
EZ Steer Power Steering install
BUMPERS rhino.... evergoing build thread
Looking for a better holeshot
Show Your House/Compound
Top posting users this week
No user
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

big bore opinions

Go down 
+12
chuddly
Mrs. Hot Rod
ALBANATE
ASPENDELLROVER
T.Rhino
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Vital
08Rhino450SE
rhino727
brewis
Bumpers
madmax 1
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
madmax 1

madmax 1

big bore opinions Empty
PostSubject: big bore opinions   big bore opinions Icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 9:46 am

I've been thinking for a while about a big bore kit for the rhino ,want to keep it reliable and don't want to be to extreme so i'm staying away with the stroker, but am alittle scared about the stock middle gear problems , what size do you guys run and what are your thoughts mick
Back to top Go down
Bumpers

Bumpers

big bore opinions Empty
PostSubject: Re: big bore opinions   big bore opinions Icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 11:08 am

I have a stroker... the most common for the 660 though is the 686 kit... little power is gunna come from the bore size though. Your head and cam is what makes the magic happen
Back to top Go down
brewis

brewis

big bore opinions Empty
PostSubject: Re: big bore opinions   big bore opinions Icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 2:38 pm

I wonder if we can get a multiple rhino discount......lol
Back to top Go down
rhino727

rhino727

big bore opinions Empty
PostSubject: Re: big bore opinions   big bore opinions Icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 2:47 pm

may want to think about the hours you have on moter , new oil pump, an the middle support would be must do for bottom end if nothing else was done in the bottom . as for bore 686 I think is good but I also think 4mm stroker can be reliable also x2 on the porting of head & cam just don't forget the correct springs for cam........ the old saying no replacement for displacement
Back to top Go down
08Rhino450SE

08Rhino450SE

big bore opinions Empty
PostSubject: Re: big bore opinions   big bore opinions Icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 4:20 pm

the "power" that everyone wishes they had more of is a deceptive critter...

increasing the bore size will help increase the displacement and the horsepower, and put "power" in the higher rpm
increasing the stroke length will help increase displacement and the torque, and put "power" in the lower rpm

stock rhino engines are relatively short stroke, "oversquare" engines, designed like motorcycle engines to save space in the mounting location.
what James has done with the cvt in the rhino helps bridge the gap of that short stroke motor to "dig" and wind out better.

porting the head will help either motor, but once you head down either path (torque or horsepower) with porting it's expensive to change (you have to re-do everything).

so it all depends (!) on whether you want a "torque motor" or a "horsepower motor." bounce

your vmax is probably a "horsepower motor", and my harley is a "torque motor."

my driving style and the environment in which i ride (tight trails & mud) put me in the "torque motor" category.
if you run flat out on open trails & streets, you would want a "horsepower motor."

just my 2¢

there's a really good explanation of "square" at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stroke_ratio
Back to top Go down
madmax 1

madmax 1

big bore opinions Empty
PostSubject: Re: big bore opinions   big bore opinions Icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 4:28 pm

actually my v max is both I could roll on in 3rd an start burnin the rear tire but know what you mean and if I have to address the middle gear and split the case might as well do a stroker, maybe james will chime in, my motor is low hours under 150 yes I know that's real low for an 07 sometimes I get real busy at home and work Sad
Back to top Go down
madmax 1

madmax 1

big bore opinions Empty
PostSubject: Re: big bore opinions   big bore opinions Icon_minitimeSat Jun 08, 2013 4:34 pm

yea i'm thinking like you like speed but leaning towards more torque for hills and mud, thanks
Back to top Go down
Vital

big bore opinions Empty
PostSubject: Re: big bore opinions   big bore opinions Icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 3:00 pm

You don't have to build only a stroker or only a HP motor. I went with a +6 bore and a +6 stroke and ported the head with over sized valves for all around power everywhere. So far my machine has been very reliable also. I know I surprise all the RZR's when they run into me for the first time. They are used to walking away from Rhino's. My Rhino is a 780, when you need that low end grunt it's there with lot's to spare. The top end is there as well, I have hit mid 60's with 4 people in it totaling more than 700lbs.
Back to top Go down
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Admin
WV Hot Rod Rhino

big bore opinions Empty
PostSubject: Re: big bore opinions   big bore opinions Icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 3:18 pm

i love a stroker...its more money but more power
Back to top Go down
T.Rhino

T.Rhino

big bore opinions Empty
PostSubject: Re: big bore opinions   big bore opinions Icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 4:08 pm

Well worth the money in my opinion.
Back to top Go down
ASPENDELLROVER

ASPENDELLROVER

big bore opinions Empty
PostSubject: Re: big bore opinions   big bore opinions Icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 5:47 pm

rich guys...lol...you gotta pay to play:[URL=http://ww
Back to top Go down
madmax 1

madmax 1

big bore opinions Empty
PostSubject: Re: big bore opinions   big bore opinions Icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 8:07 pm

how big can I go with the 660 and still remain reliable on pump gas Question
Back to top Go down
ALBANATE

big bore opinions Empty
PostSubject: Re: big bore opinions   big bore opinions Icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 8:55 pm

brewis wrote:

For the Hotrod boys I will do $290 shipped. Tax in CA. Alba Racing 686cc kit

http://www.teamalbaracing.com/product.php?productid=2423&cat=363&page=1

This is the kit we run in the SCORE Champion Yamaha Rhino 660. Doesn't get more proven than that... for that price you will receive:

Yamaha bored and honed cylinder to 102mm
CP M1016A Forged 11.0:1 piston, rings, pin, and clips
Cometic C7798 Top-end Gasket kit.

If you would like to run pump gas without concerns we do offer a 10.0:1 CP as well. It is a custom piston and runs $15 dollars additional...

You will have to call the shop to get this price and use code word "HOTROD IS THE MAN!" and we will get you going. We do need your old cylinder as a core, so no cracked skirts or damaged cylinders please. If you do not have a core or don't want to send yours in there is a $150 core fee.

Nate
Alba Racing
Back to top Go down
rhino727

rhino727

big bore opinions Empty
PostSubject: Re: big bore opinions   big bore opinions Icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 8:58 pm

mine is a +4 crank an +2 bore   not have a lot of time on it yet but I think it will be  reliable
Back to top Go down
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Admin
WV Hot Rod Rhino

big bore opinions Empty
PostSubject: Re: big bore opinions   big bore opinions Icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 9:00 pm

great price!!!..thanks Nate!!!
Back to top Go down
Mrs. Hot Rod
Admin
Mrs. Hot Rod

big bore opinions Empty
PostSubject: Re: big bore opinions   big bore opinions Icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 9:05 pm

ALBANATE wrote:
brewis wrote:

This is the kit we run in the SCORE Champion Yamaha Rhino 660. Doesn't get more proven than that... for that price you will receive:

If you would like to run pump gas without concerns we do offer a 10.0:1 CP as well. It is a custom piston and runs $15 dollars additional...

You will have to call the shop to get this price and use code word "HOTROD IS THE MAN!" and we will get you going. We do need your old cylinder as a core, so no cracked skirts or damaged cylinders please. If you do not have a core or don't want to send yours in there is a $150 core fee.

Nate
Alba Racing

This is awesome .... thanks so much to Nate & all the guys at Alba!!!!
Back to top Go down
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Admin
WV Hot Rod Rhino

big bore opinions Empty
PostSubject: Re: big bore opinions   big bore opinions Icon_minitimeWed Jun 12, 2013 9:18 pm

my +5 had 3000 + miles and was still going...my last one +6 lasted 2000 and only failed because my heater core got a leak and i didnt know it and overheated bad while i was waiting for it to warm up good cause it was cold that day...
Back to top Go down
chuddly

chuddly

big bore opinions Empty
PostSubject: Re: big bore opinions   big bore opinions Icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2013 7:28 am

ALBANATE wrote:
brewis wrote:

Nate
Alba Racing
Nate,
Is this kit ALL i would need to do the 686 conversion?  or do i need a new fuel pump and carb and some other stuff?  Im really thinking this is a great way to go for me.  About what kind of HP gains would we expect to see from the 686 conversion? And this is a GREAT price!
Back to top Go down
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Admin
WV Hot Rod Rhino

big bore opinions Empty
PostSubject: Re: big bore opinions   big bore opinions Icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2013 7:30 am

thats all you will need...unless you want MORE HP!!!...lol
Back to top Go down
chuddly

chuddly

big bore opinions Empty
PostSubject: Re: big bore opinions   big bore opinions Icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2013 7:43 am

LOL...i always want more...but if thats all i need to START getting more then i can add later then im good with that.
Back to top Go down
08Rhino450SE

08Rhino450SE

big bore opinions Empty
PostSubject: Re: big bore opinions   big bore opinions Icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2013 8:59 am

Vital wrote:
You don't have to build only a stroker or only a HP motor.
no, but when you are planning a build you should keep the difference in mind. the earlier you can achieve peak torque, the better the engine will feel in everyday driving.
Back to top Go down
Wingman

big bore opinions Empty
PostSubject: Re: big bore opinions   big bore opinions Icon_minitimeThu Jun 13, 2013 10:56 pm

I run 87 ethanol free gas unless I miscalculate on how much to bring with us. When y'all say "runs on pump gas". Are you saying 87 or 91, ethanol free 87 or 91. If the build requires higher octane and it happens to not be available is it possible to add a octane booster like 104+ or similar to you what you have available?

At what point in a build do you know the stock radiator is not enough and you need a aftermarket radiator or larger fan or both?
Back to top Go down
Vital

big bore opinions Empty
PostSubject: Re: big bore opinions   big bore opinions Icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2013 2:23 pm

Madmax 1 wrote:

how big can I go with the 660 and still remain reliable on pump gas big bore opinions Icon_question

I have been on my 660/780 for over 3 years. My buddy has been on his 660/800 for over 4 years. As long as you keep the oil changed and don't drown them they are very, very reliable if they are built right. Running pump gas or high octane fuel only depends on your compression ratio, I.E. your piston. Keep the piston to 10/1 or so and you're fine running pump gas. I think even 11/1 will be ok with 91-93 octane. Some people like to deck the head for more compression as well but I like the ability to run pump gas more than another HP or two. YMMV.
Back to top Go down
chuddly

chuddly

big bore opinions Empty
PostSubject: Re: big bore opinions   big bore opinions Icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2013 3:15 pm

what kind of HP gains will i see out of the 680 kit?

That 780 kit sounds AWESOME!!!! but i wonder how much drive-ability i would loose? As far as putting around slow speed like my son and daughter do.
Back to top Go down
madmax 1

madmax 1

big bore opinions Empty
PostSubject: Re: big bore opinions   big bore opinions Icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2013 7:33 pm

Vital wrote:
Madmax 1 wrote:

how big can I go with the 660 and still remain reliable on pump gas big bore opinions Icon_question

I have been on my 660/780 for over 3 years. My buddy has been on his 660/800 for over 4 years. As long as you keep the oil changed and don't drown them they are very, very reliable if they are built right. Running pump gas or high octane fuel only depends on your compression ratio, I.E. your piston. Keep the piston to 10/1 or so and you're fine running pump gas. I think even 11/1 will be ok with 91-93 octane. Some people like to deck the head for more compression as well but I like the ability to run pump gas more than another HP or two. YMMV.
what did your motor cost you , what is your speed
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

big bore opinions Empty
PostSubject: Re: big bore opinions   big bore opinions Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

big bore opinions
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next