HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM

Yamaha Rhino

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Events  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Welcome to the forum!! also check us out at hotrodforums.net

Who is online?
In total there are 21 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 21 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 207 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:13 pm
Latest topics
» forum back open for posting
Sluggish off the start Icon_minitimeWed Aug 16, 2023 1:17 pm by RADICAL RAM

» rhino 660 hid visionx headlights for sale
Sluggish off the start Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 4:54 pm by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» New JBS Extreme sheave milling
Sluggish off the start Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 1:28 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» NEW FORUM!
Sluggish off the start Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 12:35 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
Sluggish off the start Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 11:01 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Forgot what the new sites name is?????
Sluggish off the start Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 10:59 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Truck picture thread.
Sluggish off the start Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 9:33 am by Tacoclaw

» go to new forum for tonight
Sluggish off the start Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:50 am by chuddly

» First rhino 09 450
Sluggish off the start Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:47 am by chuddly

Top posters
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Sluggish off the start Vote_lcapSluggish off the start Voting_barSluggish off the start Vote_rcap 
madmax 1
Sluggish off the start Vote_lcapSluggish off the start Voting_barSluggish off the start Vote_rcap 
REDRHINO64
ASPENDELLROVER
T.Rhino
123.bert0621
Firefighter
rhino727
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13
flimmy
Most Viewed Topics
Rhino 700 Electrical Problem - Solved!
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
NEW FORUM!
Sand Reeper
Hello hot rod forum
09 700 not charging when running
What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
go to new forum for tonight
Want Some Bigger Tires for the Rhino
How To Check Your Rhino 700 TPS
Most active topics
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
ALBA 734 Big Bore for 2011 Rhino 700
Picture Gallery
Truck picture thread.
What do you do for a living ?
New Yamaha SXS coming June 11 2013??.
EZ Steer Power Steering install
BUMPERS rhino.... evergoing build thread
Looking for a better holeshot
Show Your House/Compound
Top posting users this week
No user
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Sluggish off the start

Go down 
+8
thekrust
WV Hot Rod Rhino
chuddly
T.Rhino
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13
Snorider
RHINOMOON
renegademxz
12 posters
AuthorMessage
renegademxz

renegademxz

Sluggish off the start Empty
PostSubject: Sluggish off the start   Sluggish off the start Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 1:07 am

Hey all
My 09 rhino I recently purchased seems a little sluggish off the start.
It seems to have to work a bit to get going and once it starts to move it seems to shift up right away.
It is all stock except for 26 inch Swamp Lites
I took the clutches apart and cleaned and regreased them, they have aprox 2500 miles on them and I don't think they have ever been touched. When I took it apart there was one of the weights that had a slight flat spot on it and the grease was extremely black. I also replaced the belt with a dayco xtx.
I should of taken some pics of them to post but didn't find this site till after I did the work.
Do you guys think it is just in the primary and secondary or should I be checking my wet clutch as well? How many miles can a guy expect the wet clutch to be good for??? How much does it cost to redo the wet clutch?
I have been tossing around the idea of getting a JBS clutch kit. Any info you guys can give me would be greatly appreciated.
Back to top Go down
RHINOMOON

RHINOMOON

PostSubject: Re: Sluggish off the start   Sluggish off the start Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 1:15 am

i do believe your rollers are shot, there should be no flat spots, i would call james. JBS (look at the vendor section) and get a sheave off him huge difference, i have one and it was a night and day difference. i would also service your secondary. and also take out your wet clutch for inspection, post some piks and if you need replacing jbs has them too, and you can order eveything in 1 shot. also slugging your wet clutch id a great idea too.
Back to top Go down
Snorider

PostSubject: Re: Sluggish off the start   Sluggish off the start Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 1:21 am

I agree with rhinomoon. any flat spot and they are toast and the best way to tell if your wet clutch is shot or not is to tear it apart and look. and if your there slug it, when I did mine I noticed a huge difference especially in engine braking.

but If I recall correctly from what I've been told it is like 350 or so bucks for a new wet clutch.
Back to top Go down
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

PostSubject: Re: Sluggish off the start   Sluggish off the start Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 1:25 am

x3 on flat spots. All rhinos are sluggish. lol! JBS sheave will help a lot!!!Sluggish off the start 2016508534. Our rhino has 4300 miles on original wet clutch.No Probably pretty bad in there.

Last edited by CustomizedRhino13 on Wed Jun 12, 2013 3:36 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
T.Rhino

T.Rhino

PostSubject: Re: Sluggish off the start   Sluggish off the start Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 7:02 am

I would for sure go with the JBS clutch kit but it sounds like you may have some wet clutch issues. The good news is the JBS will help with how long the wet clutch will last.
Back to top Go down
chuddly

chuddly

PostSubject: Re: Sluggish off the start   Sluggish off the start Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 7:10 am

get a JBS clutch and check out your wet clutch. I just ordered a new one for mine (I havnt put it in yet because im waiting on the seals) I dont even know if i need it but im the kind of person that its a "wear" item so im going to replace it now and then i know how long its got left. Im also going to slug mine when i put the new one in.
Back to top Go down
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Admin
WV Hot Rod Rhino

PostSubject: Re: Sluggish off the start   Sluggish off the start Icon_minitimeTue Jun 11, 2013 7:30 am

give me a call
Back to top Go down
thekrust

thekrust

PostSubject: Re: Sluggish off the start   Sluggish off the start Icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2013 5:04 pm

Dayco XTX is a poor belt choice. I ran one for less than 1000km and it blew to tiny bits, Changing them on the trail sucks! Run the Yamaha belt...it costs more and it's worth it.
Your wet clutch is toast, replace and slug it you will be happy. Then get James to set you up with sheave, weights and spring.
Back to top Go down
09-rhino700

09-rhino700

PostSubject: Re: Sluggish off the start   Sluggish off the start Icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2013 5:43 pm

JBS!!!!!!!  will fix ya up...... if the common cold had sheave.. he would fix that bitch too....

Last edited by 09-rhino700 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:38 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Admin
WV Hot Rod Rhino

PostSubject: Re: Sluggish off the start   Sluggish off the start Icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2013 6:29 pm

give me a call
Back to top Go down
madmax 1

madmax 1

PostSubject: Re: Sluggish off the start   Sluggish off the start Icon_minitimeFri Jun 14, 2013 7:36 pm

call james and get one of his sheaves  cheers
Back to top Go down
renegademxz

renegademxz

PostSubject: Re: Sluggish off the start   Sluggish off the start Icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 11:40 pm

I called James yesterday and he was great to talk to, gave me some good info about my rhino.
I measured my original belt and found it was 31.5 mm so from what I had searched on here it was still within spec. James told me to get the piece of crap Dayco belt out of my rhino before it blew and gave me trouble. When I took the belt cover off I found the belt was riding 1/8 to 3/16 of an inch below the top of the secondary. So there was some of my bottom end problem. Also found that the Amsoil grease I used in my clutch had turned to liquid. Upon closer inspection of my rollers there are quite a few that are flat spotted.
So long story short I ordered a JBS shieve and I can not wait to try it out.
Back to top Go down
08Rhino450SE

08Rhino450SE

PostSubject: Re: Sluggish off the start   Sluggish off the start Icon_minitimeWed Jun 19, 2013 11:54 pm

hey, renegade, just for the halibut, what type of Amsoil grease did you use?
Back to top Go down
renegademxz

renegademxz

PostSubject: Re: Sluggish off the start   Sluggish off the start Icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2013 12:02 am

Sluggish off the start GLCSynthetic Multi-Purpose Grease NLGI #2

I believe this is the stuff I used
Back to top Go down
08Rhino450SE

08Rhino450SE

PostSubject: Re: Sluggish off the start   Sluggish off the start Icon_minitimeThu Jun 20, 2013 10:52 am

Sluggish off the start Grease10

thanks. we use this stuff in my printing business. it looks, smells and tastes like the yamalube.
Back to top Go down
123.bert0621

123.bert0621

PostSubject: Re: Sluggish off the start   Sluggish off the start Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 8:25 pm

If your machine revs even a little bit like your snow mobile then your wet clutch is done, James can help you nail it down. Remember to use Ultrumatic Yamalube and a OEM belt.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Sluggish off the start   Sluggish off the start Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Sluggish off the start
Page 1 of 1