HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM

Yamaha Rhino

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Events  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Welcome to the forum!! also check us out at hotrodforums.net

Who is online?
In total there are 19 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 19 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 207 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:13 pm
Latest topics
» forum back open for posting
Front bearings and brakes questions... help! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 16, 2023 1:17 pm by RADICAL RAM

» rhino 660 hid visionx headlights for sale
Front bearings and brakes questions... help! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 4:54 pm by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» New JBS Extreme sheave milling
Front bearings and brakes questions... help! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 1:28 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» NEW FORUM!
Front bearings and brakes questions... help! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 12:35 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
Front bearings and brakes questions... help! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 11:01 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Forgot what the new sites name is?????
Front bearings and brakes questions... help! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 10:59 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Truck picture thread.
Front bearings and brakes questions... help! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 9:33 am by Tacoclaw

» go to new forum for tonight
Front bearings and brakes questions... help! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:50 am by chuddly

» First rhino 09 450
Front bearings and brakes questions... help! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:47 am by chuddly

Top posters
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Front bearings and brakes questions... help! Vote_lcapFront bearings and brakes questions... help! Voting_barFront bearings and brakes questions... help! Vote_rcap 
madmax 1
Front bearings and brakes questions... help! Vote_lcapFront bearings and brakes questions... help! Voting_barFront bearings and brakes questions... help! Vote_rcap 
REDRHINO64
ASPENDELLROVER
T.Rhino
123.bert0621
Firefighter
rhino727
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13
flimmy
Most Viewed Topics
Rhino 700 Electrical Problem - Solved!
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
NEW FORUM!
Sand Reeper
Hello hot rod forum
09 700 not charging when running
What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
go to new forum for tonight
Want Some Bigger Tires for the Rhino
How To Check Your Rhino 700 TPS
Most active topics
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
ALBA 734 Big Bore for 2011 Rhino 700
Picture Gallery
Truck picture thread.
What do you do for a living ?
New Yamaha SXS coming June 11 2013??.
EZ Steer Power Steering install
BUMPERS rhino.... evergoing build thread
Looking for a better holeshot
Show Your House/Compound
Top posting users this week
No user
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Front bearings and brakes questions... help!

Go down 
+4
banchee6
T.Rhino
chuddly
Tunderslimer
8 posters
AuthorMessage
Tunderslimer

Tunderslimer

Front bearings and brakes questions... help! Empty
PostSubject: Front bearings and brakes questions... help!   Front bearings and brakes questions... help! Icon_minitimeThu Jun 27, 2013 9:43 pm

Hi guys,

I've got my JBS sheave kit installed and I'm ready to go riding... I think.  My wife demanded I check the hub nuts since we lost a wheel May long weekend.  The hub nut had come loose and the wheel.. well you get the picture.  It was the driver side rear... and boy did it go on a journey into the bush.

I jacked up the front end, and gave the wheels a shake.  I have a bit of a wiggle on both front wheels.  There's no grinding or anything.  Is that normal?  I know on cars there's usually no wheel bearing play at all when they're done right... is it the same for Rhinos?  The wiggle transfers right from the wheel to the cv shaft.  I can see the outer joint wiggle with the wheel.

Then, I pulled one of the wheels off, figured since I was going to have it apart I'd install the new brake pads I had ordered.  Well, wouldn't you know the pads I received don't fit... it has some kind of Brembo calipers... does anyone have a Brembo brake set installed?  Or did Yamaha offer a Brembo brake package in 2006?  

One last thing - both front brake rotors are also wiggly, as in they're not tight on the hub.  The bolts holding them on are super tight, but the rotors can still move around.  I've not encountered this before either.  

Maybe the Short Bus is a total lemon and I'm gonna go broke making it reliable.  Not going to buy a used one ever again.  

I've left it all apart in my garage... I'm gonna go get drunk in the hot tub instead.  I may just f'n leave it and go ride the hell out of it this weekend until it's really broken.  

Any help or reassurance would be appreciated.  Thanks!
Back to top Go down
chuddly

chuddly

PostSubject: Re: Front bearings and brakes questions... help!   Front bearings and brakes questions... help! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 7:31 am

if its not the ball joints or the tie rod ends then it is the wheel bearing.  Yamaha didnt offer a brembo kit from the factory that i know of.  The wheel bearings being out would also cause the rotor to move as well.  Not to big of a deal but i would say order them in and do it up right.
Back to top Go down
T.Rhino

T.Rhino

PostSubject: Re: Front bearings and brakes questions... help!   Front bearings and brakes questions... help! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 7:53 am

I agree and if the bearings get bad enough they will cause your brakes to have a shorter life also.
Back to top Go down
banchee6

banchee6

PostSubject: Re: Front bearings and brakes questions... help!   Front bearings and brakes questions... help! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 9:07 am

if you moving the wheel up and down and you have slack, its probably a wheel bearing... Order OEM and just replace them... They a pain in the rear but its a maintance thing.... also, the brakes are different... Might have to get a part number and look them up and see what you have... And if you don't mind, toss that part number on here as well, id like to see what you have and be interested in getting that hooked up on mine soon,,  If its what im thinking, probably something off of a street bike somewhere. I know how Yamaha likes to interchange parts
Back to top Go down
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Admin
WV Hot Rod Rhino

PostSubject: Re: Front bearings and brakes questions... help!   Front bearings and brakes questions... help! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 9:47 am

yep..sounds like a wheel bearing
Back to top Go down
sls666

sls666

PostSubject: Re: Front bearings and brakes questions... help!   Front bearings and brakes questions... help! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 10:11 am

just a note the two bearings have to be presed out opposite ways and keep the spacer that is between them    its kind of a bitch of a job
Back to top Go down
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Admin
WV Hot Rod Rhino

PostSubject: Re: Front bearings and brakes questions... help!   Front bearings and brakes questions... help! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 10:14 am

blind hole bearing puller is what i use
Back to top Go down
sls666

sls666

PostSubject: Re: Front bearings and brakes questions... help!   Front bearings and brakes questions... help! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 10:20 am

lol i welded a peice of shaft in the hole and just pressed it out after i ripped my thum nail off
Back to top Go down
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Admin
WV Hot Rod Rhino

PostSubject: Re: Front bearings and brakes questions... help!   Front bearings and brakes questions... help! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 10:21 am

ouch
Back to top Go down
Tunderslimer

Tunderslimer

PostSubject: Re: Front bearings and brakes questions... help!   Front bearings and brakes questions... help! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 3:46 pm

I watched a trillion videos on YouTube... it does look like a bitch of a job haha

Thanks for all the replies guys.  There's no play in the bj's or tie rods.  Gonna head to Princess Auto and see if I can snag a blind hole puller.
Back to top Go down
T.Rhino

T.Rhino

PostSubject: Re: Front bearings and brakes questions... help!   Front bearings and brakes questions... help! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 4:32 pm

I use A longer punch with A notch cut out of the bottom it allows me to get between the race & bearing then I smack it with A hammer works great.  
Back to top Go down
banchee6

banchee6

PostSubject: Re: Front bearings and brakes questions... help!   Front bearings and brakes questions... help! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 5:28 pm

WV Hot Rod Rhino wrote:
blind hole bearing puller is what i use

what size you use so I know what kit to get? I am tired of beating up my hands doing that crap...
Back to top Go down
brewis

brewis

PostSubject: Re: Front bearings and brakes questions... help!   Front bearings and brakes questions... help! Icon_minitimeFri Jun 28, 2013 7:04 pm

Here's what I got.  Use the 1.25 it works great.  EbayFront bearings and brakes questions... help! Kgrhqz10
Back to top Go down
honda450sfm

honda450sfm

PostSubject: Re: Front bearings and brakes questions... help!   Front bearings and brakes questions... help! Icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2013 12:05 pm

""I use A longer punch with A notch cut out of the bottom it allows me to get between the race & bearing then I smack it with A hammer works great.  ""

I do the same thing
A blind hole bearing puller is the best way to go though
I just found them too pricey
Back to top Go down
sls666

sls666

PostSubject: Re: Front bearings and brakes questions... help!   Front bearings and brakes questions... help! Icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2013 1:22 pm

Anyways my new bearings i put in seem real lose and i got the worse shimmy ever they were really tite at the top but kind of almost fell in to the spacer inside and out.   Should i tack them into place?
Back to top Go down
Tunderslimer

Tunderslimer

PostSubject: Re: Front bearings and brakes questions... help!   Front bearings and brakes questions... help! Icon_minitimeSat Jun 29, 2013 2:19 pm

I used a 30mm blind hole puller... worked, kinda.  The bearings were so trashed they were actually rusted in - the outer race ended up breaking on both sides.  Anyway, after torching, banging, smashing, swearing and drinking beer, the job is all done!  going riding in like 10 mins!!!!!
Back to top Go down
honda450sfm

honda450sfm

PostSubject: Re: Front bearings and brakes questions... help!   Front bearings and brakes questions... help! Icon_minitimeSun Jun 30, 2013 9:39 pm

You should not have a shimmy at all. Something's messed up, I'd take em back out. 
Your sure they're the right bearings?
Back to top Go down
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Admin
WV Hot Rod Rhino

PostSubject: Re: Front bearings and brakes questions... help!   Front bearings and brakes questions... help! Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2013 8:34 am

something isnt right..oem bearings??
Back to top Go down
sls666

sls666

PostSubject: Re: Front bearings and brakes questions... help!   Front bearings and brakes questions... help! Icon_minitimeMon Jul 01, 2013 1:16 pm

Not sure i got them at Yamaha and i still got the bags they came in.  Ill have to check. The spindle looked fine and wasnt worn at all.  Ill take it apart again this week
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Front bearings and brakes questions... help!   Front bearings and brakes questions... help! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Front bearings and brakes questions... help!
Page 1 of 1