HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM

Yamaha Rhino

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Events  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Welcome to the forum!! also check us out at hotrodforums.net

Who is online?
In total there are 56 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 56 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 207 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:13 pm
Latest topics
» forum back open for posting
engine temp light Icon_minitimeWed Aug 16, 2023 1:17 pm by RADICAL RAM

» rhino 660 hid visionx headlights for sale
engine temp light Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 4:54 pm by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» New JBS Extreme sheave milling
engine temp light Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 1:28 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» NEW FORUM!
engine temp light Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 12:35 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
engine temp light Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 11:01 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Forgot what the new sites name is?????
engine temp light Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 10:59 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Truck picture thread.
engine temp light Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 9:33 am by Tacoclaw

» go to new forum for tonight
engine temp light Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:50 am by chuddly

» First rhino 09 450
engine temp light Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:47 am by chuddly

Top posters
WV Hot Rod Rhino
engine temp light Vote_lcapengine temp light Voting_barengine temp light Vote_rcap 
madmax 1
engine temp light Vote_lcapengine temp light Voting_barengine temp light Vote_rcap 
REDRHINO64
ASPENDELLROVER
T.Rhino
123.bert0621
Firefighter
rhino727
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13
flimmy
Most Viewed Topics
Rhino 700 Electrical Problem - Solved!
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
NEW FORUM!
Sand Reeper
Hello hot rod forum
09 700 not charging when running
What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
go to new forum for tonight
Want Some Bigger Tires for the Rhino
How To Check Your Rhino 700 TPS
Most active topics
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
ALBA 734 Big Bore for 2011 Rhino 700
Picture Gallery
Truck picture thread.
What do you do for a living ?
New Yamaha SXS coming June 11 2013??.
EZ Steer Power Steering install
BUMPERS rhino.... evergoing build thread
Looking for a better holeshot
Show Your House/Compound
Top posting users this week
No user
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

engine temp light

Go down 
+4
WV Hot Rod Rhino
banchee6
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13
txgrown1404
8 posters
AuthorMessage
txgrown1404

txgrown1404

engine temp light Empty
PostSubject: engine temp light   engine temp light Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 1:17 am

my engine temp light came on a few days agoe bc i forgot to turn the fan on but i noticed it quickly and got it turned on and the temp dropped back to normal in just a few minutes. now the light stays on and my temp guage is reading 190. not sure why its staying on? any help???? 06 686
Back to top Go down
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

engine temp light Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine temp light   engine temp light Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 2:32 am

I've heard of that happening before, I think people were asking which side the you mounted the temp. sending unit on the radiator or something, anyways bump back to the top!
Back to top Go down
banchee6

banchee6

engine temp light Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine temp light   engine temp light Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 8:11 am

I think the question we need to ask is why your fan didnt come on automatically?
Back to top Go down
txgrown1404

txgrown1404

engine temp light Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine temp light   engine temp light Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 12:28 pm

i didnt come on because i have afan override switch on it. im not your what side the sending unit is on. all these things were on it when i bought it..but i'll go look and see what side it is on
Back to top Go down
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Admin
WV Hot Rod Rhino

engine temp light Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine temp light   engine temp light Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 1:24 pm

its still supposed to work when the switch is off if its done right
Back to top Go down
txgrown1404

txgrown1404

engine temp light Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine temp light   engine temp light Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 1:32 pm

im not sure how the switch is wired.
Back to top Go down
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

engine temp light Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine temp light   engine temp light Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 3:48 pm

I remember a thread about which side of the radiator the temp. sending unit was supposed to be on did it turn out matter which side or was it alright on either side?
Back to top Go down
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

engine temp light Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine temp light   engine temp light Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 3:51 pm

Back to top Go down
Yotehunter66
Yotehunter66

engine temp light Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine temp light   engine temp light Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 5:53 pm

I mounted mine in the return line just inside the left front fender well. I wanted to know what my engine temp was instead of what my temp was coming out of the radiator.
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

engine temp light Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine temp light   engine temp light Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 7:09 pm

txgrown1404 wrote:
my engine temp light came on a few days agoe bc i forgot to turn the fan on but i noticed it quickly and got it turned on and the temp dropped back to normal in just a few minutes. now the light stays on and my temp guage is reading 190. not sure why its staying on? any help???? 06 686

OK, it looks like we have 2 separate things going on here in the thread.

One is why is the temperature warning light staying on. The 660 overtemp sensor switch is mounted on the engine, screwed into the hose outlet housing that looks like it should have a thermostat in it. From your description that switch has somehow failed during that episode. Look at that sensor to fix the idiot light problem.

The other thing is the fan switch (radiator temperature sensor) is apparently disabled somehow. It sounds like you are not the person who installed the fan over-ride switch? Perhaps long ago the fan switch failed and someone put an override switch in to enable running the fan in spite of the sensor failure? The normal over-ride switch setup is simply a switch that shorts across the sensor switch when it is desired that the fan run, even if the radiator is not overly hot. This scheme allows the fan temp switch to still function normally and run the fan when the radiator gets too hot. This fan over-ride function can also be done in different ways, such as using a different source voltage, such as directly from the battery through a switch and then on to the fan motor. This might have been done if there was a blown fan fuse or failed fan circuit breaker. Another reason the radiator overtemp switch may have been disabled is to prevent the fan from starting up, when the front end is immersed in water, when playing submarine games with the machine. There are different (and better?) ways to wire up that circuitry such that will allow deliberately disabling the fan while still retaining that automatic fan turn on at a different switch position.

It looks like you have installed a temperature gauge. That seems to be working just as it should. I'm not sure why all the comments on how to rig up a temperature gauge here.
Back to top Go down
Firefighter

Firefighter

engine temp light Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine temp light   engine temp light Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 8:01 pm

Sound Like His fan override switch is actually a switch to turn the fan off (disable). I seen people do this that run in deep mud or water.
Back to top Go down
txgrown1404

txgrown1404

engine temp light Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine temp light   engine temp light Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 8:06 pm

the guy i bought it from ran it in the dunes most of the time didnt play in deep mud
Back to top Go down
Firefighter

Firefighter

engine temp light Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine temp light   engine temp light Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 8:15 pm

txgrown1404 wrote:
the guy i bought it from ran it in the dunes most of the time didnt play in deep mud

So You have to turn the switch on for the fan to come on ?
Back to top Go down
txgrown1404

txgrown1404

engine temp light Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine temp light   engine temp light Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 8:53 pm

Firefighter wrote:
txgrown1404 wrote:

yes i ran it for about 20 minutes and it got to 170 and it never came on. i have a toggle switch on my dash to turn it on and off. after riding for a few hrs and i go to turn the machine off, it wont shut off until i turn the fan off
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

engine temp light Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine temp light   engine temp light Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 9:12 pm

txgrown1404 wrote:
Firefighter wrote:
txgrown1404 wrote:

yes i ran it for about 20 minutes and it got to 170 and it never came on. i have a toggle switch on my dash to turn it on and off. after riding for a few hrs and i go to turn the machine off, it wont shut off until i turn the fan off

Now, that is interesting. It is normal for a Rhino to run on for a few seconds after you turn the key off, but only if the fan happens to be running at the time. The fan motor acts as a generator and powers the electrical system as it winds down.

I suspect that what is going on is that the auxilliary fan power switch is getting its power directly from battery hot. If so, that is powering your entire electrical system when the switch is in the on position. I suppose that would be a good thing if you lost your ignition key, but..... You really should rewire that such that the switch simply jumpers the two contacts on the radiator thermoswitch.

Here is a schematic for the 660 fan wiring with a remote bypass switch installed. The 700 is different in that it uses a relay controlled by the ECU to control the fan. There, you bypass the contacts of the relay with the remote switch.

engine temp light Bypassthermoswitch

If you have problems then with the fan not working you may have uncovered problems with the original thermoswitch or the thermal breaker. Let us know and it can be fixed properly.
Back to top Go down
Jet

Jet

engine temp light Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine temp light   engine temp light Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 9:20 pm

wow, steve s----great stuff man.
Back to top Go down
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

engine temp light Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine temp light   engine temp light Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 10:10 pm

I read it over again and misunderstood the question, for some reason I was believing the idiot light and thinkin the gauge was giving false readings. I'm becoming a HUNTERWORKS!Shockedlol!
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

engine temp light Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine temp light   engine temp light Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 11:04 pm

CustomizedRhino13 wrote:
..........I'm becoming a HUNTERWORKS!Shockedlol!

HaHa Oh, NO! Do we have to start banning people around here? Long live the Banana republic!
Back to top Go down
txgrown1404

txgrown1404

engine temp light Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine temp light   engine temp light Icon_minitimeSat Apr 13, 2013 11:23 pm

thanks guys i'll check the wiring and get back with all. withs all ya'lls help i have learned so much and havent had tp put it in the shop yet. more money i can spend on upgrades. love this forum
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

engine temp light Empty
PostSubject: Re: engine temp light   engine temp light Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

engine temp light
Page 1 of 1