HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM

Yamaha Rhino

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Events  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Welcome to the forum!! also check us out at hotrodforums.net

Who is online?
In total there are 13 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 13 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 207 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:13 pm
Latest topics
» forum back open for posting
Grounding accessories  Icon_minitimeWed Aug 16, 2023 1:17 pm by RADICAL RAM

» rhino 660 hid visionx headlights for sale
Grounding accessories  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 4:54 pm by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» New JBS Extreme sheave milling
Grounding accessories  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 1:28 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» NEW FORUM!
Grounding accessories  Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 12:35 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
Grounding accessories  Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 11:01 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Forgot what the new sites name is?????
Grounding accessories  Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 10:59 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Truck picture thread.
Grounding accessories  Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 9:33 am by Tacoclaw

» go to new forum for tonight
Grounding accessories  Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:50 am by chuddly

» First rhino 09 450
Grounding accessories  Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:47 am by chuddly

Top posters
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Grounding accessories  Vote_lcapGrounding accessories  Voting_barGrounding accessories  Vote_rcap 
madmax 1
Grounding accessories  Vote_lcapGrounding accessories  Voting_barGrounding accessories  Vote_rcap 
REDRHINO64
ASPENDELLROVER
T.Rhino
123.bert0621
Firefighter
rhino727
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13
flimmy
Most Viewed Topics
Rhino 700 Electrical Problem - Solved!
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
NEW FORUM!
Sand Reeper
Hello hot rod forum
09 700 not charging when running
What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
go to new forum for tonight
Want Some Bigger Tires for the Rhino
How To Check Your Rhino 700 TPS
Most active topics
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
ALBA 734 Big Bore for 2011 Rhino 700
Picture Gallery
Truck picture thread.
What do you do for a living ?
New Yamaha SXS coming June 11 2013??.
EZ Steer Power Steering install
BUMPERS rhino.... evergoing build thread
Looking for a better holeshot
Show Your House/Compound
Top posting users this week
No user
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Grounding accessories

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
T.Rhino

T.Rhino

Grounding accessories  Empty
PostSubject: Grounding accessories    Grounding accessories  Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 4:40 pm

Where are you guys grounding all your accessories at with all my stuff I have grounds running every where and was looking for a cleaner and better way of doing it. I have looked at black rhinos grounding block an it looks nice just wanting to see what you guys had to offer.
Back to top Go down
Workhorserhino

Workhorserhino

PostSubject: Re: Grounding accessories    Grounding accessories  Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 6:11 pm

I like to weld a 3/8 bolt to the frame for a ground. Drill the hole large enough to recess the head, so it looks like a stud. There you go. I try to put it someplace easy to, so it can be cleaned or repaired or add more ground wires. I'll be doing this next month. Gonna take Steve S advice and add one from motor to frame. Just need to pick up another bottle of argon.
Back to top Go down
T.Rhino

T.Rhino

PostSubject: Re: Grounding accessories    Grounding accessories  Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 9:30 pm

Thanks I thank I need something that I can attach multiple grounds to and was hoping to keep them all together in case I would have to chase a problem down. It is a great idea though.
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

PostSubject: Re: Grounding accessories    Grounding accessories  Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 9:54 pm

Workhorserhino wrote:
I like to weld a 3/8 bolt to the frame for a ground. Drill the hole large enough to recess the head, so it looks like a stud. There you go. I try to put it someplace easy to, so it can be cleaned or repaired or add more ground wires. I'll be doing this next month. Gonna take Steve S advice and add one from motor to frame. Just need to pick up another bottle of argon.
That will certainly make for a Super Heay Duty ground point! You can get double duty out of it as a winching anchor point as well. Idea Wink
Back to top Go down
Workhorserhino

Workhorserhino

PostSubject: Re: Grounding accessories    Grounding accessories  Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 10:05 pm

That's why I like this forum. Everyone has good ideas to share. I didn't think of it that way, but it could work.scratch
Back to top Go down
thekevin

thekevin

PostSubject: Re: Grounding accessories    Grounding accessories  Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 11:26 pm

That is a great idea.
Back to top Go down
T.Rhino

T.Rhino

PostSubject: Re: Grounding accessories    Grounding accessories  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 7:12 am

[quote="SteveS"]
Workhorserhino wrote:
That will certainly make for a Super Heay Duty ground point! You can get double duty out of it as a winching anchor point as well. IdeaWink[/ I would like to here your thoughts Steve you seem to know a lot about wiring.
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

PostSubject: Re: Grounding accessories    Grounding accessories  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 12:42 pm

T.Rhino wrote:
I would like to here your thoughts Steve you seem to know a lot about wiring.
Well, first of all, you will want to improve the stock grounding and get the frame well grounded. Read this thread, if you have not already:
https://hotrodrhinoforums.forumotion.com/t1104-improve-your-grounding

Regarding the specifics of how to create an easy to use and expand grounding point, there are countless ways to set up a grounding point. The most important thing is to ensure that there is a good electrical connection all the way to your battery negative terminal. If you have properly grounded the frame as suggested in the above thread, then that can be the thing that you use for all of your grounds. Beware of using just any frame component as a ground, as some parts of the frame are simply bolted together without any consideration of making a good electrical contact. You need to ensure that the paint has been scraped off of at least one of the contact points where the frame components are joined. You also want to ensure that that electrical contact will not corrode over time, using silicone dielectric grease between the bare metal surfaces. One common misconception is that since the grease does not conduct electricity (a 'dielectric'), it will prevent electrical current flow. Not so, as the grease will be squeezed out, allowing bare metal to bare metal electrical contact at the high spots, The grease remains at the low spots, where the metal would not contact anyway, where it seals the pathway for air and water to cause corrosion.

Usually, you will find that you end up with multiple ground points simply because it is not really practical to ground everything at a single point. For example, tail-lights are not usually grounded at the same point on the frame as the head-lights. It is just more practical to create ground points at various places on the frame where the local wiring can easily reach.

As far as creating a grounding buss point, there are any number of ways that you can do this. Using a ground stud welded onto the frame, as mentioned previously in this thread, is a very good approach. There are commercial ground busses that are on the market as well. I used an old fashioned terminal block to create a ground bus for my aux battery under the driver's seat. These are commonly available at surplus electronics outlets, along with many other interesting and handy things. A couple of links to explore:
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/TS-206/6-POSITION-DUAL-ROW-TERMINAL-STRIP-20-AMP/1.html
http://www.allelectronics.com/make-a-store/item/JMP-24/JUMPER-FOR-TS-200-BARRIER-STRIPS/1.html

A picture of that grounding bus under the seat:
Grounding accessories  R2f4
Back to top Go down
T.Rhino

T.Rhino

PostSubject: Re: Grounding accessories    Grounding accessories  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 1:15 pm

Now I have to say that was freaking awesome you can't get any better then that I asked a question and did you ever answer it. Thanks so much I really appreciate you going out of your way to go into such detail and give so much information. That's why people come here I can barely wire up a battery but by that information people could look at my work after I was done and thank I knew what I was doing. Lol fooled them. THANKS AGAIN Steve.
Back to top Go down
123.bert0621

123.bert0621

PostSubject: Re: Grounding accessories    Grounding accessories  Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 5:15 pm

Great ideas can't wait to make those tips.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Grounding accessories    Grounding accessories  Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Grounding accessories
Page 1 of 1