HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM

Yamaha Rhino

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Events  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Welcome to the forum!! also check us out at hotrodforums.net

Who is online?
In total there are 21 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 21 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 207 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:13 pm
Latest topics
» forum back open for posting
Continuity check of  stator Icon_minitimeWed Aug 16, 2023 1:17 pm by RADICAL RAM

» rhino 660 hid visionx headlights for sale
Continuity check of  stator Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 4:54 pm by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» New JBS Extreme sheave milling
Continuity check of  stator Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 1:28 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» NEW FORUM!
Continuity check of  stator Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 12:35 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
Continuity check of  stator Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 11:01 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Forgot what the new sites name is?????
Continuity check of  stator Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 10:59 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Truck picture thread.
Continuity check of  stator Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 9:33 am by Tacoclaw

» go to new forum for tonight
Continuity check of  stator Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:50 am by chuddly

» First rhino 09 450
Continuity check of  stator Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:47 am by chuddly

Top posters
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Continuity check of  stator Vote_lcapContinuity check of  stator Voting_barContinuity check of  stator Vote_rcap 
madmax 1
Continuity check of  stator Vote_lcapContinuity check of  stator Voting_barContinuity check of  stator Vote_rcap 
REDRHINO64
ASPENDELLROVER
T.Rhino
123.bert0621
Firefighter
rhino727
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13
flimmy
Most Viewed Topics
Rhino 700 Electrical Problem - Solved!
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
NEW FORUM!
Sand Reeper
Hello hot rod forum
09 700 not charging when running
What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
go to new forum for tonight
Want Some Bigger Tires for the Rhino
How To Check Your Rhino 700 TPS
Most active topics
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
ALBA 734 Big Bore for 2011 Rhino 700
Picture Gallery
Truck picture thread.
What do you do for a living ?
New Yamaha SXS coming June 11 2013??.
EZ Steer Power Steering install
BUMPERS rhino.... evergoing build thread
Looking for a better holeshot
Show Your House/Compound
Top posting users this week
No user
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Continuity check of stator

Go down 
+2
SteveS
TBOMB
6 posters
AuthorMessage
TBOMB

Continuity check of  stator Empty
PostSubject: Continuity check of stator   Continuity check of  stator Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 8:18 pm

I recently removed and replaced the stator assembly in my 2005 660. I had determined the old stator was bad back in July of 2012. At that time, I had a digital multimeter that i used to check both continuity and A.C. output. I lost my test equipment during the flood from Hurricane Issac in August 2012 and have not yet replaced any of it. Fast forward to current times. Prior to installing the new stator, I thought of a way to check continuity with out any test equipment. In my shoe box of a garage, I had a cheap plastic flashlight that I disassembled and kept the bulb and a "D" cell battery. Using some available wire, some alligator clips, an end from a jewelers screwdriver and some electrical tape, I concocted the following goofy looking contraption. (Hopefully the pics will show up)https://s1322.photobucket.com/user/TBOMB3/library/Rhino?sort=3&page=1#
Basically, I'm extending the circuit from the battery through the stator coils and back to the bulb. The coils are essentially a short circuit and should light the bulb as can be seen in the followinghttps://s1322.photobucket.com/user/TBOMB3/library/Rhino?sort=3&page=1#
I know it's not a definitive check, but, it is a good overall indication of the stator windings
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

PostSubject: Re: Continuity check of stator   Continuity check of  stator Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 9:07 pm

Yeah, that would tell you if a coil had an open circuit all right. However, a shorted coil would be really hard to tell apart from a properly functioning one. Actually, that is the problem with using an ohmeter in that the difference between all good and a string with a single shorted coil is miniscule. Hence, the resistance measurement method is beyond the capability of an ordinary multi-purpose meter. You might be able to make an ordinary 12V automotive (say perhaps brake light?) bulb hooked between any 2 of the white wires to light up, showing a decent voltage output from the stator with the engine running? Not something that I have ever tried, but it might work (else it might play 'flash-bulb' and go poof). Maybe a 24V bulb (aviation)?
Back to top Go down
TBOMB

PostSubject: Re: Continuity check of stator   Continuity check of  stator Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 9:16 pm

Steve, you're right. After the install of the new stator, I also used my Rube Goldberg contraption to check between the ground on the engine case and the individual stator windings. I did not mean this to be a definitive check, just merely a method to check continuity for folks with no test equipment. By the way, I find all of your posts very informative and enlightening.
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

PostSubject: Re: Continuity check of stator   Continuity check of  stator Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 9:34 pm

Thank you. And you are right, in that a continuity test is a good first step. I would imagine that, say something like half of the time, that is all you would need to do to condemn the stator.

If I may, I'll take this as an opportuntiy to mention another tip regarding the uses for an ordinary light bulb. If you have a short somewhere in your 12 volt circuitry you can put a 12 V light bulb into the circuit to limit the current flow. This will prevent that short from burning up your wiring while you are trying to find it. That bulb, between your battery and a dead short, will glow at full brightness. If it is an open circuit, it will not glow at all. If it is a normal current draw (say a working taillight or such), it will glow at only partial brightness.
Back to top Go down
TBOMB

PostSubject: Re: Continuity check of stator   Continuity check of  stator Icon_minitimeWed Apr 17, 2013 10:05 pm

By the way, I received a new Fluke DVM today, so no more need for my stupid contraptions!!!!!
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

PostSubject: Re: Continuity check of stator   Continuity check of  stator Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 1:19 am

TBOMB wrote:
By the way, I received a new Fluke DVM today, so no more need for my stupid contraptions!!!!!

Knowing what you can make do with some jury rigged contraption, can save your bacon out in the boonies or wherever. Congrats on the Fluke! Continuity check of  stator 2016508534
Back to top Go down
madmax 1

madmax 1

PostSubject: Re: Continuity check of stator   Continuity check of  stator Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 7:05 pm

damn steve you are scarry smart with electronics affraid glad your on here
Back to top Go down
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

PostSubject: Re: Continuity check of stator   Continuity check of  stator Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 8:09 pm

x2 He is like James with sheaves!
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

PostSubject: Re: Continuity check of stator   Continuity check of  stator Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 9:47 pm

Ha, ha. You make like I can throw lightning bolts and make thunder like that Zeus fellow of old? My hair stands up in a lightning storm just like everyone else. rendeer

I can zap a memory chip just by touching it though, especially after i pet the cat for a minute or two. Now, back to the Koolaid and Bananas; that's why we are here isn't it? Continuity check of  stator 2016508534
Back to top Go down
madmax 1

madmax 1

PostSubject: Re: Continuity check of stator   Continuity check of  stator Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 10:20 pm

why yes almighty steve Shocked more cool aide lol!
Back to top Go down
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

PostSubject: Re: Continuity check of stator   Continuity check of  stator Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 10:25 pm

Oh Yeah!!!
Continuity check of  stator Images12
Back to top Go down
Firefighter

Firefighter

PostSubject: Re: Continuity check of stator   Continuity check of  stator Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 10:27 pm

Koolaid and Bananas; that's why we are here isn't it?

YES, but, like I have said before, it's ALL of You guys that make this so awesome !

Steve You are an Honor and a Gentleman ! And a very educated one at that !

Starting to sound like a politician, ain,t I !
Back to top Go down
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

PostSubject: Re: Continuity check of stator   Continuity check of  stator Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 10:28 pm

Haha, don't forget the crispy creamesContinuity check of  stator 2016508534
Back to top Go down
Firefighter

Firefighter

PostSubject: Re: Continuity check of stator   Continuity check of  stator Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 10:32 pm

CustomizedRhino13 wrote:

HAHA And YES, Krispy Kremes for everyone !!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

PostSubject: Re: Continuity check of stator   Continuity check of  stator Icon_minitimeThu Apr 18, 2013 10:44 pm

Firefighter wrote:
CustomizedRhino13 wrote:

HAHA And YES, Krispy Kremes for everyone !!!!!!!!

Ah yes, toasted over a campfire. Or is that something else? Where is jack when we need him???
Back to top Go down
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Admin
WV Hot Rod Rhino

PostSubject: Re: Continuity check of stator   Continuity check of  stator Icon_minitimeFri Apr 19, 2013 2:21 am

steve is da man!!
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Continuity check of stator   Continuity check of  stator Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Continuity check of stator
Page 1 of 1