HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM

Yamaha Rhino

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Events  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Welcome to the forum!! also check us out at hotrodforums.net

Who is online?
In total there are 32 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 32 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 207 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:13 pm
Latest topics
» forum back open for posting
Fouling spark plug Icon_minitimeWed Aug 16, 2023 1:17 pm by RADICAL RAM

» rhino 660 hid visionx headlights for sale
Fouling spark plug Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 4:54 pm by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» New JBS Extreme sheave milling
Fouling spark plug Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 1:28 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» NEW FORUM!
Fouling spark plug Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 12:35 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
Fouling spark plug Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 11:01 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Forgot what the new sites name is?????
Fouling spark plug Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 10:59 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Truck picture thread.
Fouling spark plug Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 9:33 am by Tacoclaw

» go to new forum for tonight
Fouling spark plug Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:50 am by chuddly

» First rhino 09 450
Fouling spark plug Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:47 am by chuddly

Top posters
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Fouling spark plug Vote_lcapFouling spark plug Voting_barFouling spark plug Vote_rcap 
madmax 1
Fouling spark plug Vote_lcapFouling spark plug Voting_barFouling spark plug Vote_rcap 
REDRHINO64
ASPENDELLROVER
T.Rhino
123.bert0621
Firefighter
rhino727
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13
flimmy
Most Viewed Topics
Rhino 700 Electrical Problem - Solved!
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
NEW FORUM!
Sand Reeper
Hello hot rod forum
09 700 not charging when running
What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
go to new forum for tonight
Want Some Bigger Tires for the Rhino
How To Check Your Rhino 700 TPS
Most active topics
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
ALBA 734 Big Bore for 2011 Rhino 700
Picture Gallery
Truck picture thread.
What do you do for a living ?
New Yamaha SXS coming June 11 2013??.
EZ Steer Power Steering install
BUMPERS rhino.... evergoing build thread
Looking for a better holeshot
Show Your House/Compound
Top posting users this week
No user
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Fouling spark plug

Go down 
+5
chuddly
madmax 1
Deuces wild
Stuntmanmike
Chief1979
9 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Chief1979

Fouling spark plug Empty
PostSubject: Fouling spark plug   Fouling spark plug Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 7:27 pm

My rhino is fouling out the spark plug in 5 mins. I put a new plug in, started it using the choke, let it idle for about 1 min. Then I revved it some. Pulled the plug out and its black and sooty. I've got black smoke coming out of the exhaust, which tells me i'm running rich. The plug is not wet from oil or fuel, just sooty and black.
Leading up to this, it ran great for two trail rides, then on the third one, about a month ago, it started not wanting to idle when it was cold. Once it warmed up, everything was normal. Got it home, put it in the garage. Went to start it a couple days later, and it wouldn't start. Pull the old plug out, and its black and sooty. Put a new plug in it, and it fires right up. I haven't riden it since. Went out today, started it, and its got black smoke coming from the exhaust. Within 3 mins, the plug is black and sooty.
Any ideas? I fouled both the NGK iridium and the stock replacement. Running 93 octane fuel with no ethanol. Fuel tank and pick-up are clean, carb. bowl is clean. The jets look clean also.
Does anyone have the steps for tuning the carb? And what is the knob on the right upper side of the carb. for? I messed with it the first time it wouldn't run, and believe this might have to do with why its running rich. Sorry for the long post.
Back to top Go down
Stuntmanmike

Stuntmanmike

Fouling spark plug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fouling spark plug   Fouling spark plug Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 8:03 pm

#1 it sounds like the needle and or slide is stuck open, That would bring the main jet into play at idle. #2 unless your running high compresion piston you wont burn the 93 octane completely, a stock piston dosent produce enough heat to burn it properly. #3 the knob sounds like the idle control screw.
Back to top Go down
Chief1979

Fouling spark plug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fouling spark plug   Fouling spark plug Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 8:19 pm

thanks for the reply mike. is the slide the part at the front of the carb that opens n closes based on engine load? i know when the engine was rebuilt n bored out a higher comp. piston was installed but my buddy cant find the paperwork for it. it seems to be idling slightly higher than when i first got it can this cause the main jet to come in too early? thanks
Back to top Go down
Deuces wild

Deuces wild

Fouling spark plug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fouling spark plug   Fouling spark plug Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 9:26 pm

So Mike are saying don't run 93 in a stock motor? That's what I run in mine now should I change up? And to what?
Back to top Go down
Stuntmanmike

Stuntmanmike

Fouling spark plug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fouling spark plug   Fouling spark plug Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 9:50 pm

Chief1979 wrote:
thanks for the reply mike. is the slide the part at the front of the carb that opens n closes based on engine load? i know when the engine was rebuilt n bored out a higher comp. piston was installed but my buddy cant find the paperwork for it. it seems to be idling slightly higher than when i first got it can this cause the main jet to come in too early? thanks
The slide is controled by the Diaphram,the butterfly is controled by the throttle.
Back to top Go down
Stuntmanmike

Stuntmanmike

Fouling spark plug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fouling spark plug   Fouling spark plug Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 10:01 pm

lambfam660 wrote:
So Mike are saying don't run 93 in a stock motor? That's what I run in mine now should I change up? And to what?

Runing High Octane Fuel only work's to your advantage if you are runing a high compression piston and or your wanting to run more timing. It takes alot more heat to completely burn high octane fuel. To get technical about it, the higher the number the less likely it is to pre ignite or knock as some know it. All engines come with a recomendation of what octane to run, If you go any higher your just wasting money. The number has nothing to do with the quality of the fuel or the power it will give you. Hope I made sence.
Back to top Go down
madmax 1

madmax 1

Fouling spark plug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fouling spark plug   Fouling spark plug Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 10:07 pm

good point mike very good info lots of people waste lots of money thinking higher octane = more power even in a stock motor
Back to top Go down
chuddly

chuddly

Fouling spark plug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fouling spark plug   Fouling spark plug Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 10:29 pm

mike is dead on on this. its like saying well if im supposed to run 5w-30 oil and I run 20w-30 that's got to be better right? WRONG...its just not ment to run it. The real place high octane gas comes into play is anything high compression (not just pistons but turbo and super charged motors) so (like mike said) it wont pre detonate and destroy your motor.
Back to top Go down
rhino727

rhino727

Fouling spark plug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fouling spark plug   Fouling spark plug Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 10:46 pm

may want to pull your carb an give it a good cleaning , then see what its doing if it was running good before , don't change the set-up just clean it an put back where it was set at before
Back to top Go down
Deuces wild

Deuces wild

Fouling spark plug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fouling spark plug   Fouling spark plug Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 10:47 pm

I always ran higher octane in small engines lawnmower, motorcycle, quad, rhino, boat, jet ski, hell even my generator, I thought it was easier on the motor what a waste on my part. So what should I run in a stock 660?
Back to top Go down
08Rhino450SE

08Rhino450SE

Fouling spark plug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fouling spark plug   Fouling spark plug Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 11:01 pm

lambfam660 wrote:
I always ran higher octane in small engines lawnmower, motorcycle, quad, rhino, boat, jet ski, hell even my generator, I thought it was easier on the motor what a waste on my part. So what should I run in a stock 660?

X2
it has more cleaners, and depending on what state you're in, it's not supposed to have any ethanol in it. i've run it in everything i have since new. too many problems with regular gas these days.
Back to top Go down
Stuntmanmike

Stuntmanmike

Fouling spark plug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fouling spark plug   Fouling spark plug Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 11:06 pm

lambfam660 wrote:

89 is a good fuel for the Rhino, Even with a new CDI.
Back to top Go down
Deuces wild

Deuces wild

Fouling spark plug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fouling spark plug   Fouling spark plug Icon_minitimeMon May 13, 2013 11:12 pm

thanks I'll try it and see would it make any difference if I have a irridium plug?
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

Fouling spark plug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fouling spark plug   Fouling spark plug Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 12:00 am

Chief1979 wrote:
...... i know when the engine was rebuilt n bored out a higher comp. piston was installed but my buddy cant find the paperwork for it.........

Before you switch back to regular grade fuel, get a handle on the compression ratio that the machine is set up at. With a higher compression piston rather than stock, you may need the higher octane rating.

As far as the running extremely rich, you may have something going on with the float and/or float valve. If the float is not maintaining the proper fuel level in the float bowl, that may be causing the richness across the board. Do you see any fuel overflow coming out of the overflow hose hanging down from the carb?
Back to top Go down
Chief1979

Fouling spark plug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fouling spark plug   Fouling spark plug Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 12:50 am

Steve, I will check the overflow hose for the carb. tomorrow. If its not running out, I can assume the needle and float are operating correctly, right?
Rhino727, I was thinking about cleaning it out good too. I've worked on carbs alot, but wasn't sure if the carbs on these machines is anything like a carb. on a hotrod. The slide that is co ntrolled by the diaphragm is a little confusing to me. Is there a way to check that the slide is working correctly.
Thanks for all the replies gentlemen. I will try to find the engine set-up tomorrow. I know I've ran 93 octane in it since I got it, and my buddy always ran 93 in it.
Back to top Go down
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Admin
WV Hot Rod Rhino

Fouling spark plug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fouling spark plug   Fouling spark plug Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 12:51 am

choke sticking??
Back to top Go down
Chief1979

Fouling spark plug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fouling spark plug   Fouling spark plug Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 12:54 am

James, the choke handle on the dash moves back and forth, but it does feel sticky. I guess I need to go back to basics and make sure everything is working correctly. The rhino was running perfectly, so it would make sense that something like the choke or slide are sticking. Thanks
Back to top Go down
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Admin
WV Hot Rod Rhino

Fouling spark plug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fouling spark plug   Fouling spark plug Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 1:05 am

pull it out of the carb and put a little oil on it then see what it does
Back to top Go down
Chief1979

Fouling spark plug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fouling spark plug   Fouling spark plug Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 1:29 am

You're saying pull out the choke cable and lubricate it, right? I will also check make sure the slide is moving freely.
Back to top Go down
Stuntmanmike

Stuntmanmike

Fouling spark plug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fouling spark plug   Fouling spark plug Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 9:32 am

Pull the choke off the carb and lube it, they can stick and not close all the way.
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

Fouling spark plug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fouling spark plug   Fouling spark plug Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 10:19 am

Chief1979 wrote:
Steve, I will check the overflow hose for the carb. tomorrow. If its not running out, I can assume the needle and float are operating correctly, right?
Rhino727, I was thinking about cleaning it out good too. I've worked on carbs alot, but wasn't sure if the carbs on these machines is anything like a carb. on a hotrod. The slide that is co ntrolled by the diaphragm is a little confusing to me. Is there a way to check that the slide is working correctly.
Thanks for all the replies gentlemen. I will try to find the engine set-up tomorrow. I know I've ran 93 octane in it since I got it, and my buddy always ran 93 in it.

Look for fuel stains where the fuel would have spilled out of the overflow hose. You will have to have the engine running (fuel pump operating) to see the overflow actually happening. An easy way to check the float level is to replace the overflow hose with clear line. Then arrange the hose to loop upward above the top of the carb before going back down. While the engine is running open the drain valve on the side of the carburetor. Fuel will then flow into the clear hose and stabilize at a level even with the height of the fuel within the carb. It should end up pretty much level with the seam between the float bowl and the body of the carb, if the float is operating correctly.
Back to top Go down
08Rhino450SE

08Rhino450SE

Fouling spark plug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fouling spark plug   Fouling spark plug Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 10:24 am

Chief1979 wrote:
Is there a way to check that the slide is working correctly.

you will be able to see it move up and down when you remove all the intake items and blip the throttle (while it's running).
be very careful, however, and don't get too close to the carburetor. if it backfires, you could get burned really badly.
Back to top Go down
Chief1979

Fouling spark plug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fouling spark plug   Fouling spark plug Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 10:53 am

Will do. I'll do that after work and report back this afternoon. Thanks for the headsup fellas.
Back to top Go down
Chief1979

Fouling spark plug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fouling spark plug   Fouling spark plug Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 11:38 am

Quote :

Look for fuel stains where the fuel would have spilled out of the overflow hose. You will have to have the engine running (fuel pump operating) to see the overflow actually happening. An easy way to check the float level is to replace the overflow hose with clear line. Then arrange the hose to loop upward above the top of the carb before going back down. While the engine is running open the drain valve on the side of the carburetor. Fuel will then flow into the clear hose and stabilize at a level even with the height of the fuel within the carb. It should end up pretty much level with the seam between the float bowl and the body of the carb, if the float is operating correctly.

Ok, I'm going to verify the choke cable is operating correctly, and then I will check the float level.
Back to top Go down
Chief1979

Fouling spark plug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fouling spark plug   Fouling spark plug Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 11:42 am

08Rhino450SE wrote:
Chief1979 wrote:
Is there a way to check that the slide is working correctly.

you will be able to see it move up and down when you remove all the intake items and blip the throttle (while it's running).
be very careful, however, and don't get too close to the carburetor. if it backfires, you could get burned really badly.

Ok, I know that is working because when I was replacing the spark plug, I had the intake off cleaning the K&N filter. When I started it, I noticed that slide would move up and down when I blipped the throttle.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

Fouling spark plug Empty
PostSubject: Re: Fouling spark plug   Fouling spark plug Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Fouling spark plug
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next