HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM

Yamaha Rhino

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Events  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Welcome to the forum!! also check us out at hotrodforums.net

Who is online?
In total there are 24 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 24 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 207 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:13 pm
Latest topics
» forum back open for posting
gauge - RPM erratic on Vapour gauge Icon_minitimeWed Aug 16, 2023 1:17 pm by RADICAL RAM

» rhino 660 hid visionx headlights for sale
gauge - RPM erratic on Vapour gauge Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 4:54 pm by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» New JBS Extreme sheave milling
gauge - RPM erratic on Vapour gauge Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 1:28 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» NEW FORUM!
gauge - RPM erratic on Vapour gauge Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 12:35 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
gauge - RPM erratic on Vapour gauge Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 11:01 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Forgot what the new sites name is?????
gauge - RPM erratic on Vapour gauge Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 10:59 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Truck picture thread.
gauge - RPM erratic on Vapour gauge Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 9:33 am by Tacoclaw

» go to new forum for tonight
gauge - RPM erratic on Vapour gauge Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:50 am by chuddly

» First rhino 09 450
gauge - RPM erratic on Vapour gauge Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:47 am by chuddly

Top posters
WV Hot Rod Rhino
gauge - RPM erratic on Vapour gauge Vote_lcapgauge - RPM erratic on Vapour gauge Voting_bargauge - RPM erratic on Vapour gauge Vote_rcap 
madmax 1
gauge - RPM erratic on Vapour gauge Vote_lcapgauge - RPM erratic on Vapour gauge Voting_bargauge - RPM erratic on Vapour gauge Vote_rcap 
REDRHINO64
ASPENDELLROVER
T.Rhino
123.bert0621
Firefighter
rhino727
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13
flimmy
Most Viewed Topics
Rhino 700 Electrical Problem - Solved!
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
NEW FORUM!
Sand Reeper
Hello hot rod forum
09 700 not charging when running
What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
go to new forum for tonight
Want Some Bigger Tires for the Rhino
How To Check Your Rhino 700 TPS
Most active topics
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
ALBA 734 Big Bore for 2011 Rhino 700
Picture Gallery
Truck picture thread.
What do you do for a living ?
New Yamaha SXS coming June 11 2013??.
EZ Steer Power Steering install
BUMPERS rhino.... evergoing build thread
Looking for a better holeshot
Show Your House/Compound
Top posting users this week
No user
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

RPM erratic on Vapour gauge

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Tech Man

Tech Man

gauge - RPM erratic on Vapour gauge Empty
PostSubject: RPM erratic on Vapour gauge   gauge - RPM erratic on Vapour gauge Icon_minitimeSat Jun 22, 2013 3:02 am

I bought a vapour gauge a while ago after I fried the factory gauge and got the big E. I'm having trouble getting the RPM to read properly. Where is the best place to tap into and get the most accurate reading? Pics would be a bonus please.
Back to top Go down
flimmy

flimmy

PostSubject: Re: RPM erratic on Vapour gauge   gauge - RPM erratic on Vapour gauge Icon_minitimeSat Jun 22, 2013 9:05 am

Where did you connect the tach wire ?

Trailtech has 4 different options for the install

http://gallery.trailtech.net/media/instructions/computers/vapor/010-ELV-07.pdf
Back to top Go down
http://www.trailbrightled.com
flimmy

flimmy

PostSubject: Re: RPM erratic on Vapour gauge   gauge - RPM erratic on Vapour gauge Icon_minitimeSat Jun 22, 2013 9:06 am

Also make sure all your grounds are good.
Back to top Go down
http://www.trailbrightled.com
Tech Man

Tech Man

PostSubject: Re: RPM erratic on Vapour gauge   gauge - RPM erratic on Vapour gauge Icon_minitimeSat Jun 22, 2013 11:05 am

I went with option 1 and tried the 5 wraps first. Got erratic RPM and reduced wraps all the way down to 1 wrap. Still the same result. Then for shits and giggles tried more than 5 and same results. I checked the ground and it's good, I've got .6 ohms between the ground wire and the neg at battery. Wondering if option 2 would be a better way to go but I don't know which wire to tap into.
Back to top Go down
Tech Man

Tech Man

PostSubject: Re: RPM erratic on Vapour gauge   gauge - RPM erratic on Vapour gauge Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 7:25 pm

Bump. Looking for some helps boys. Anybody know which wire to tap into instead of wrapping around the coil wire?
Back to top Go down
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Admin
WV Hot Rod Rhino

PostSubject: Re: RPM erratic on Vapour gauge   gauge - RPM erratic on Vapour gauge Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 8:41 pm

STEVE!!!!
Back to top Go down
Tech Man

Tech Man

PostSubject: Re: RPM erratic on Vapour gauge   gauge - RPM erratic on Vapour gauge Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 9:31 pm

Lol. I was hoping Steve would chime in. He seems like our electrical guru around here.
Back to top Go down
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Admin
WV Hot Rod Rhino

PostSubject: Re: RPM erratic on Vapour gauge   gauge - RPM erratic on Vapour gauge Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 9:44 pm

it would be one of the coil wires i would think....STEVE!!!...lol
Back to top Go down
Tech Man

Tech Man

PostSubject: Re: RPM erratic on Vapour gauge   gauge - RPM erratic on Vapour gauge Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 9:45 pm

That's what I'm thinking but don't know which one.
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

PostSubject: Re: RPM erratic on Vapour gauge   gauge - RPM erratic on Vapour gauge Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 10:57 pm

Tech Man wrote:
I went with option 1 and tried the 5 wraps first. Got erratic RPM and reduced wraps all the way down to 1 wrap. Still the same result. Then for shits and giggles tried more than 5 and same results. I checked the ground and it's good, I've got .6 ohms between the ground wire and the neg at battery. Wondering if option 2 would be a better way to go but I don't know which wire to tap into.

Hi there guys. Did somebody call my name? Cool

Tech, is that 0.6 ohms an accurate measurement?  That equates to 240 feet of 14 gauge wire. That is a lot! That resistance is likely to be putting a lot of noise into the tach signal. Have you 'improved' the grounding system on your machine? If not look over this thread: https://hotrodrhinoforums.forumotion.com/t1104-improve-your-grounding

Try moving your tach ground around: At the battery negative, at the engine case, at the coil ground wire (out of the harness at the rear), at the same frame member as the coil is mounted to (a part of the frame that is welded to the part that the coil is bolted to). Ensure that your grounds are scraped free of paint and clean ( use dielectric grease to make sure that they stay that way). You might want to try (temporarily) having your tach back by the coil to reduce the 'antenna effect' of long sense wires.

Just a starting point, I'm suspicous of your ground quality. Go back to the number of wraps that was recommended by the tach people to get a fresh start. Good luck, it might be simple.
Back to top Go down
Tech Man

Tech Man

PostSubject: Re: RPM erratic on Vapour gauge   gauge - RPM erratic on Vapour gauge Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 11:11 pm

Great! Thanks Steve. I'll give the ground a good look over and let you what I find. Right now, I'm grounded to an engine bolt. I thought that would be as good as any place but maybe not. While I'm there and checking, I'll Read and improve the grounding. 

Let you know what I find.
Back to top Go down
Tech Man

Tech Man

PostSubject: Re: RPM erratic on Vapour gauge   gauge - RPM erratic on Vapour gauge Icon_minitimeMon Jun 24, 2013 11:19 pm

Just read the topic and the last sentence hit me in the face like a cheep Yankee beer:

The factory setup does not deliberately electrically connect the engine to the frame anywhere. The above suggested 'low road' approach does address this failure mode.

I'll do the upgrade and let you know my findings with the tach. 

Thanks Steve and sorry boys for the beer comment. Lol

Troy
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

PostSubject: Re: RPM erratic on Vapour gauge   gauge - RPM erratic on Vapour gauge Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 12:21 am

Tech Man wrote:
Just read the topic and the last sentence hit me in the face like a cheep Yankee beer:.......and sorry boys for the beer comment. Lol
And here I thought that you had to put up with the taste, in order to get the buzzz drunken

I was just looking at the 660 service manual schematic. It looks like the coil is grounded 2 different ways simultaneously. The coil is supposedly grounded to the frame back there (presumably through the coil laminations being bolted to the frame) AND though a black wire connection to the wire harness. If this is so, it might deserve a look see if you have any corrosion or poor electrical connection in either of those pathways to ground. Get that ohmmeter out and poke around back there with it.
Back to top Go down
Tech Man

Tech Man

PostSubject: Re: RPM erratic on Vapour gauge   gauge - RPM erratic on Vapour gauge Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 12:28 am

Is it the same as a 700? Ive got a fluke meter so I'm guessing it's accurate but I've also got a snap-on as well so I'll double check when my clutch parts get here from James.
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

PostSubject: Re: RPM erratic on Vapour gauge   gauge - RPM erratic on Vapour gauge Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 1:45 am

Tech Man wrote:
Is it the same as a 700? Ive got a fluke meter so I'm guessing it's accurate but I've also got a snap-on as well so I'll double check when my clutch parts get here from James.
Good point. No they are rather different in that on the 660 the CDI pulses the coil which is grounded on the far end and on the700 the coil is ignition hot and the far side is sinked to ground by the ECU.

The grounding of the tachometer itself will still be important and generally you want short leads to minimize inductive pickup of noise. Hopefully the tach is provided with a shielded cable leading to that length of wire that you wrap around the spark plug cable? If so, the shield in that cable needs to be well grounded to be effective (that 0.6 ohms might be the killer there). When you measure resistance (or voltage drop) of your ground connection, you will want to use the battery negative terminal itself as your point of reference, for the most accurate measurement.  

I think that I can see now why everyone has problems with direct connection of the tach to the coil wires on the 700 now. Generally tachs like a short positive pulse with each spark. With the 700 it would seem that you would have a long positive signal with short gaps in the voltage instead.

gauge - RPM erratic on Vapour gauge 5fg4
Back to top Go down
Tech Man

Tech Man

PostSubject: Re: RPM erratic on Vapour gauge   gauge - RPM erratic on Vapour gauge Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 9:56 am

Why don't I tap into the wire that's feeding the ECM the signal? Run my ground to the mounting bolts for the coil?
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

PostSubject: Re: RPM erratic on Vapour gauge   gauge - RPM erratic on Vapour gauge Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 2:18 pm

Tech Man wrote:
Why don't I tap into the wire that's feeding the ECM the signal? Run my ground to the mounting bolts for the coil?
Hang tough on taking that route. From what I can see, the signal will be inverted if you run directly to the ignition coil terminal. You could try that but I would be a bit worried about overloading the tachometer itself ????

I did go to the TrailTech website and looked at a few of their documents. Is this the same as what you should have gotten with the computer?
http://gallery.trailtech.net/media/instructions/computers/vapor/010-ELV-07.pdf

I snipped a few portions of the document and annotated some things that I thought important. One thing that is not spelled out is the direction of wind. From the pictures, it would seem that the sense wire is wound over the spark plug lead with the red wire toward the coil and the tip of the red wire ending up toward the spark plug. That might make a difference as to the electrical polarity of the signal going to the tachometer. Did you try going to the full 12 turns of wrap? You mentioned 'intermittent' operation and the instructions mentioned using more turns in that case. They say less turns if the tach 'bounces', I'm not clear as to what 'intermittent' and 'bounces' exactly means. Apparently, the sensor 'wire' is a red/black 'zip cord' that you peel apart to get individual red and black wires? If so, then you need to seperate them and wrap the red and ground the black. I hope this helps?
gauge - RPM erratic on Vapour gauge 0phq
Back to top Go down
Tech Man

Tech Man

PostSubject: Re: RPM erratic on Vapour gauge   gauge - RPM erratic on Vapour gauge Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 3:42 pm

That's what I got for instructions. I guess I could have been more clear, my rpm "bounces". I'm guessing they're talking if its intermittent then the tach is either zero or a value of some kind. Bounces meaning a difference in rpm +-100 rpm. That what I've got. Sitting at idle I'll get anything from 600 to 1500. I've tried 1 all the way to 12 wraps for shits and giggles. I can't remember which way I'm wound on the coil wire.
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

PostSubject: Re: RPM erratic on Vapour gauge   gauge - RPM erratic on Vapour gauge Icon_minitimeTue Jun 25, 2013 4:05 pm

Tech Man wrote:
That's what I got for instructions. I guess I could have been more clear, my rpm "bounces". I'm guessing they're talking if its intermittent then the tach is either zero or a value of some kind. Bounces meaning a difference in rpm +-100 rpm. That what I've got. Sitting at idle I'll get anything from 600 to 1500. I've tried 1 all the way to 12 wraps for shits and giggles. I can't remember which way I'm wound on the coil wire.
Yeah, I'm not sure what the diff between a bounce and an intermit is either, HaHa. So, you did find seperate red and black wires to wrap and ground then? Wrap direction could make a difference in the polarity of the pulse, so double check that when you get a chance. That is another thing that you could try both ways just to make sure.

Well, perhaps we are back to the grounding of the frame to the battery negative terminal. Have you had a chance to scope that out yet?

Oh, another thing that I found puzzling. Apparently the power cable and the sense cable are identical. This would mean that they can be swapped where they plug into the computer module. It is internal battery operated from what they say. Any chance that things are swapped around backwards? Also, is the internal battery good?
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: RPM erratic on Vapour gauge   gauge - RPM erratic on Vapour gauge Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

RPM erratic on Vapour gauge
Page 1 of 1