HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM

Yamaha Rhino

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Events  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Welcome to the forum!! also check us out at hotrodforums.net

Who is online?
In total there are 47 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 47 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 207 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:13 pm
Latest topics
» forum back open for posting
Running like crap!! Icon_minitimeWed Aug 16, 2023 1:17 pm by RADICAL RAM

» rhino 660 hid visionx headlights for sale
Running like crap!! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 4:54 pm by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» New JBS Extreme sheave milling
Running like crap!! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 1:28 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» NEW FORUM!
Running like crap!! Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 12:35 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
Running like crap!! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 11:01 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Forgot what the new sites name is?????
Running like crap!! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 10:59 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Truck picture thread.
Running like crap!! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 9:33 am by Tacoclaw

» go to new forum for tonight
Running like crap!! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:50 am by chuddly

» First rhino 09 450
Running like crap!! Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:47 am by chuddly

Top posters
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Running like crap!! Vote_lcapRunning like crap!! Voting_barRunning like crap!! Vote_rcap 
madmax 1
Running like crap!! Vote_lcapRunning like crap!! Voting_barRunning like crap!! Vote_rcap 
REDRHINO64
ASPENDELLROVER
T.Rhino
123.bert0621
Firefighter
rhino727
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13
flimmy
Most Viewed Topics
Rhino 700 Electrical Problem - Solved!
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
NEW FORUM!
Sand Reeper
Hello hot rod forum
09 700 not charging when running
What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
go to new forum for tonight
Want Some Bigger Tires for the Rhino
How To Check Your Rhino 700 TPS
Most active topics
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
ALBA 734 Big Bore for 2011 Rhino 700
Picture Gallery
Truck picture thread.
What do you do for a living ?
New Yamaha SXS coming June 11 2013??.
EZ Steer Power Steering install
BUMPERS rhino.... evergoing build thread
Looking for a better holeshot
Show Your House/Compound
Top posting users this week
No user
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Running like crap!!

Go down 
5 posters
AuthorMessage
Pokahpolice

Pokahpolice

Running like crap!! Empty
PostSubject: Running like crap!!   Running like crap!! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 05, 2013 4:36 pm

Tore down my carb completely cleaned and reassembled. New plug, new fuel filter, new fuel pump but still running like crap!

I can't get a hold of this issue. I tried my stock CDI and still have the same result. Runs, starts and idles smooth but as soon as I take it down the road and hit about 38-40mph it starts spiting and sputtering and then backfires.
Back to top Go down
honda450sfm

honda450sfm

PostSubject: Re: Running like crap!!   Running like crap!! Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 10:52 am

Is there a possibility of hitting the rev limiter because of a dirty clutch?
If it was starved for fuel I can see it spitting and sputtering but the backfiring issue?? 
Perhaps the fuel flow is fine at low revs but once it gets high it's starving. Is the fuel filter full?
Maybe worth it to take the carb back out and check everything over again,check the slide
Back to top Go down
Pokahpolice

Pokahpolice

PostSubject: Re: Running like crap!!   Running like crap!! Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 8:59 pm

Nope definitely not hitting the limiter. Positive it's not a carb issue...could be a jetting issue but I'm leaning towards not firing correctly or the timing...It's getting too much fuel not going lean
Back to top Go down
honda450sfm

honda450sfm

PostSubject: Re: Running like crap!!   Running like crap!! Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 4:40 pm

Wonder if the new fuel pump is delivering too much!? Is it Oem?
Back to top Go down
Pokahpolice

Pokahpolice

PostSubject: Re: Running like crap!!   Running like crap!! Icon_minitimeMon Jul 08, 2013 5:40 pm

The reason I changed the fuel pump is because of this issue so I've ruled that out as well...but yes it's OEM
Back to top Go down
Tunderslimer

Tunderslimer

PostSubject: Re: Running like crap!!   Running like crap!! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 12:52 am

how do you know it's too rich?  sounds like it's lean to me.  could be a float level issue.  these things are super picky with float levels.

pretty rare to have a too rich mixture at almost wide open throttle... these engines will burn almost anything once they're wound up.
Back to top Go down
FLOGROWN

FLOGROWN

PostSubject: Re: Running like crap!!   Running like crap!! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 12:57 am

Pull your plug, check the color of the porcelain, if its white its lean, if its black its rich, if its brown its right on
Back to top Go down
Tunderslimer

Tunderslimer

PostSubject: Re: Running like crap!!   Running like crap!! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 1:17 am

FLOGROWN wrote:
Pull your plug, check the color of the porcelain, if its white its lean, if its black its rich, if its brown its right on

he's right.  however, since yours starts, idles and runs generally okay, you need to check the plug exactly when your problem is occuring.

run it up to whatever speed it's having a problem at, then turn the key off and coast to a stop.  then check your plug.  
it'll be a rough stop, and the plug will be wet, but the color will tell you where you're at.
Back to top Go down
Pokahpolice

Pokahpolice

PostSubject: Re: Running like crap!!   Running like crap!! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 4:34 pm

I know it was rich because I could smell the fuel. Pretty sure that the problem was due to the timing being off and not firing at the right point at high RPMs. Yesterday she shit the bed! I think I either broke a timing chain or the tensioner. Need to also check compression. Things just don't sound right when she died and when I turn it over. Either way...solved this problem...hahaha
Back to top Go down
Tunderslimer

Tunderslimer

PostSubject: Re: Running like crap!!   Running like crap!! Icon_minitimeFri Jul 19, 2013 5:34 pm

Pokahpolice wrote:
I know it was rich because I could smell the fuel. Pretty sure that the problem was due to the timing being off and not firing at the right point at high RPMs. Yesterday she shit the bed! I think I either broke a timing chain or the tensioner. Need to also check compression. Things just don't sound right when she died and when I turn it over. Either way...solved this problem...hahaha

Awww man that sucks.  Hope it's not grenaded and you can be back on the trails fast!

That makes me think... does the Rhino have an auto decompressor?  My raptor, which I thought had a similar motor... did.  When doing a regular compression check I would only get like 100psi when the book said it should be around 180psi.  I could never figure out how to test it properly, without opening it up and somehow disabling the auto decompressor.
Back to top Go down
scottwv

PostSubject: Re: Running like crap!!   Running like crap!! Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 10:38 am

Pokahpolice wrote:

Did you ever check the key on the flywheel ?? A few of us left James' place , and ole boy 's 660 was doin the same shit you're describing. Him and James fooled with the carb till it finnally quit runnin all together...and it was doin that backfiring crap too. Anyway , it ended up being the key was sheared on the flywheel. I'd check there first
Back to top Go down
Pokahpolice

Pokahpolice

PostSubject: Re: Running like crap!!   Running like crap!! Icon_minitimeSat Jul 20, 2013 12:36 pm

I spoke to James and he said the same thing a few weeks ago. I didn't feel like diving into the motor so I just ran it. If I kept the RPMs down it ran alright just had to be easy on the pedal. Now something broke...I can hear it in the motor. I'm going to start on that side of the motor after I check compression. I first need to get the ambition to tear into it, I usually like working on it but pulling the gas tank and flywheel just isn't going to be a good time. From what I've read these flywheels can be a nightmare.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Running like crap!!   Running like crap!! Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Running like crap!!
Page 1 of 1