HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM

Yamaha Rhino

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Events  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Welcome to the forum!! also check us out at hotrodforums.net

Who is online?
In total there are 7 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 7 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 207 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:13 pm
Latest topics
» forum back open for posting
what cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 16, 2023 1:17 pm by RADICAL RAM

» rhino 660 hid visionx headlights for sale
what cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 4:54 pm by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» New JBS Extreme sheave milling
what cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 1:28 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» NEW FORUM!
what cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 12:35 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
what cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 11:01 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Forgot what the new sites name is?????
what cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 10:59 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Truck picture thread.
what cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 9:33 am by Tacoclaw

» go to new forum for tonight
what cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:50 am by chuddly

» First rhino 09 450
what cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:47 am by chuddly

Top posters
WV Hot Rod Rhino
what cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque - Page 3 Vote_lcapwhat cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque - Page 3 Voting_barwhat cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque - Page 3 Vote_rcap 
madmax 1
what cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque - Page 3 Vote_lcapwhat cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque - Page 3 Voting_barwhat cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque - Page 3 Vote_rcap 
REDRHINO64
ASPENDELLROVER
T.Rhino
123.bert0621
Firefighter
rhino727
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13
flimmy
Most Viewed Topics
Rhino 700 Electrical Problem - Solved!
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
NEW FORUM!
Sand Reeper
Hello hot rod forum
09 700 not charging when running
What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
go to new forum for tonight
Want Some Bigger Tires for the Rhino
How To Check Your Rhino 700 TPS
Most active topics
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
ALBA 734 Big Bore for 2011 Rhino 700
Picture Gallery
Truck picture thread.
What do you do for a living ?
New Yamaha SXS coming June 11 2013??.
EZ Steer Power Steering install
BUMPERS rhino.... evergoing build thread
Looking for a better holeshot
Show Your House/Compound
Top posting users this week
No user
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

what cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque

Go down 
+9
Polarblu
08Rhino450SE
ChrisH
REDRHINO64
banchee6
Randy3451
Hump
thePayne
thekevin
13 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
banchee6

banchee6

what cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: what cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque   what cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 9:22 am

A cam doesn't alter compression. It simply changes the duration of the valves being opened n closed. 

I find that my rhino has the most power between 8-30 mph. That's with a stage 2 cam and being snorkled. I know the snorkles are hurting performance, but I water ride so I won't change it. Now, that being said, I really can't wait till you write your review of the stage 1 or raptor stock cam. I'm really looking into changing mine to that one for more off idle grunt. Since you trying it first, I'll wait for your results. 

Please reply soon. Lmao
Back to top Go down
08Rhino450SE

08Rhino450SE

PostSubject: Re: what cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque   what cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 12:26 pm

thekevin wrote:
i rode in thepaynes rhino today with the stage 2 and it still didnt have the torque i am looking for.  i cant wait for the 22nd, i think that raptor cam is going to be the answer.
Kevin, would you do me a favor and perform a compression test before and after you have the cam installed, using the same techniques (cold engine, wide open throttle, etc.)?

I'd be real interested in the results bounce
Back to top Go down
heavychevy

PostSubject: Re: what cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque   what cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 2:19 pm

08Rhino450SE wrote:
thekevin wrote:
i rode in thepaynes rhino today with the stage 2 and it still didnt have the torque i am looking for.  i cant wait for the 22nd, i think that raptor cam is going to be the answer.
Kevin, would you do me a favor and perform a compression test before and after you have the cam installed, using the same techniques (cold engine, wide open throttle, etc.)?

I'd be real interested in the results bounce
 I'd be interested in this also I never did a before but I installed a hotcam 4100-1 and did one after and come up with I believe 125ish with engine hot wide open throttle.  Yamaha says it should be up around 180 so I assume the cam is bleeding some off or I cant get by the decrompression or the engine is worn.
Back to top Go down
The author of this message was banned from the forum - See the message
08Rhino450SE

08Rhino450SE

PostSubject: Re: what cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque   what cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 4:28 pm

what cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque - Page 3 Image10

thanks! it takes years of practice and drinking heavily bounce
Back to top Go down
banchee6

banchee6

PostSubject: Re: what cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque   what cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 6:23 pm

guess I have the only engine that didn't loose compression.. 125 before and 125 after... hmmmmmm
Back to top Go down
heavychevy

PostSubject: Re: what cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque   what cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue Aug 13, 2013 7:08 pm

banchee6 wrote:
guess I have the only engine that didn't loose compression.. 125 before and 125 after... hmmmmmm
 I never did a before so maybe im seeing the decompression but according to the manual it should be 180ish.  Kind of wish I did a before measurement.
Back to top Go down
thePayne

thePayne

PostSubject: Re: what cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque   what cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 12:34 am

I rode I Kevin's rhino with the stock raptor cam in it today and it was pretty smooth but you could definitely tell a difference in the two cams and the rpm ranges they like to operate in. It still got sideways with the two of us in it on dirt road and I was little puckered up when your drivers riding one handed!! It's a smooth overal delivery all around and not an explosion like before with stage3 and may get better has we keep tuning the fuel map some more this weekend when we ride. We will likely line them up again and see who takes the cake he thinks I'll win but I'm not sure I can overcome his 11:1 compression and stock raptor vs my stage2 cam and factory compression and the fact I've got prolly 200lbs more weight on mine. We did hit 56-61mph with some dips in the road in his.
Back to top Go down
ChrisH

ChrisH

PostSubject: Re: what cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque   what cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 12:47 am

Nice write up. 
I was curious how the cams changed the power. How would you compare it to the milder Raptor Stage 1/ Rhino Stage 2?
Back to top Go down
thePayne

thePayne

PostSubject: Re: what cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque   what cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 1:16 am

Thats what I run and I personally like mine better and after Saturday we will see who's faster I guess.
Back to top Go down
thekevin

thekevin

PostSubject: Re: what cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque   what cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 10:10 am

it is such a smooth power curve, you just give it gas anywhere in the rpm range and it goes.  like rodney said its not near as explosive as the stage3 but for the direction i am heading now i thinks its going to be perfect.  i think me and rodney are going to be pretty even up to about 35 and then i expect him to pull me.  as far as compression goes it didnt change any, just over 120 before and after.
Back to top Go down
08Rhino450SE

08Rhino450SE

PostSubject: Re: what cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque   what cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 11:18 am

thekevin wrote:
as far as compression goes it didnt change any, just over 120 before and after.
i think you mean cylinder pressure

http://www.enginebasics.com/Advanced%20Engine%20Tuning/Static%20vs%20Dynamic.html
Back to top Go down
thekevin

thekevin

PostSubject: Re: what cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque   what cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 11:23 am

yes, pressure was the same.
Back to top Go down
Tunderslimer

Tunderslimer

PostSubject: Re: what cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque   what cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 11:29 am

08Rhino450SE wrote:
thekevin wrote:
as far as compression goes it didnt change any, just over 120 before and after.
i think you mean cylinder pressure

http://www.enginebasics.com/Advanced%20Engine%20Tuning/Static%20vs%20Dynamic.html
I think the only way to accurately measure the compression, cylinder pressure, bang box, whatever you want to call it (lol) you need to pull the pin on the decompressor.  The decompression system only works under a certain rpm, until the weights open up and allow for regular valve operation.  

Mine shows somewhere in the neighborhood of 110-120 psi when with the decompression system operational.  I've never bothered to disable it to really check it because it runs fine.  

It was the same on my 660 raptor.
Back to top Go down
08Rhino450SE

08Rhino450SE

PostSubject: Re: what cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque   what cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 12:47 pm

sorry for the rants, guys, but i need to make a clarification.
after being sidetracked by a post i forgot the most important point:

compression ratio is not determined by a compression test. a compression test measures cylinder pressure.
in order to determine compression ratio you have to cc the head (measure the volume) and use the cylinder bore and stroke in the calculation listed below from wikipedia.

The ratio is calculated by the following formula:

what cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque - Page 3 3afd933b679b7b20f1561c841867f901, wherewhat cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque - Page 3 06fef6cf9cd6d4b3c27115712d7f9f89 = cylinder bore (diameter)what cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque - Page 3 0a9faac9096f735c3f42c9c14414aaac = piston stroke lengthwhat cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque - Page 3 5ed8c6d87dd12484eeb722ffd6b1361c = clearance volume.
It is the volume of the combustion chamber (including head gasket). This is the minimum volume of the space at the end of the compression stroke, i.e. when the piston reaches top dead center (TDC). Because of the complex shape of this space, it is usually measured directly rather than calculated.

in my initial post i was not trying to be clever or anything. without knowing the mechanical abilities of kevin or rodney, i was trying to save them the expense of blowing up their engines. i merely referred them to someone who has experience in building engines to double check their procedures. bounce
Back to top Go down
thePayne

thePayne

PostSubject: Re: what cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque   what cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Aug 23, 2013 1:02 pm

Denny I wondered when I would ever in life get to use all that Math crap in school but I am affraid this ain't going to be one of them!! Nah you didnt hurt my feelings any I leave ALL my work to my Yamaha Pro Dealership mechanics and why I buy extended warranty and full coverage insurance Very Happy. I learned a long time ago when I did some shade tree mechanic work on my own stuff and screwed it up that its much better to blame someone else than yourself!!
Back to top Go down
thekevin

thekevin

PostSubject: Re: what cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque   what cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 12:13 am

Banchee I am super happy you suggested the stock raptor cam.  I have over 100 miles on it now and autotune has my tuned lined out and this thing runs exactly like what i wanted.  It has instant go power anywhere you give it gas.  Hopefully I am only about 2 weeks away from my custom cage and bumpers, lift, new tires.  Here is what autotune did for my setup with the raptor cam.
what cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque - Page 3 Rcam2_zps870ca64e
Back to top Go down
thePayne

thePayne

PostSubject: Re: what cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque   what cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 12:31 am

I am ready to ride in it now you got the fuel map lined out I know when I rode in it the day they swapped cams with me and you both it felt really smooth and nice and like you said instant go from dead stop or anywhere in the rpm range.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: what cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque   what cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

what cam for slow technical trail riding and maximum torque
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3