HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM

Yamaha Rhino

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Events  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Welcome to the forum!! also check us out at hotrodforums.net

Who is online?
In total there are 65 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 65 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 207 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:13 pm
Latest topics
» forum back open for posting
Troubles on the trail Icon_minitimeWed Aug 16, 2023 1:17 pm by RADICAL RAM

» rhino 660 hid visionx headlights for sale
Troubles on the trail Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 4:54 pm by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» New JBS Extreme sheave milling
Troubles on the trail Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 1:28 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» NEW FORUM!
Troubles on the trail Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 12:35 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
Troubles on the trail Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 11:01 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Forgot what the new sites name is?????
Troubles on the trail Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 10:59 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Truck picture thread.
Troubles on the trail Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 9:33 am by Tacoclaw

» go to new forum for tonight
Troubles on the trail Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:50 am by chuddly

» First rhino 09 450
Troubles on the trail Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:47 am by chuddly

Top posters
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Troubles on the trail Vote_lcapTroubles on the trail Voting_barTroubles on the trail Vote_rcap 
madmax 1
Troubles on the trail Vote_lcapTroubles on the trail Voting_barTroubles on the trail Vote_rcap 
REDRHINO64
ASPENDELLROVER
T.Rhino
123.bert0621
Firefighter
rhino727
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13
flimmy
Most Viewed Topics
Rhino 700 Electrical Problem - Solved!
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
NEW FORUM!
Sand Reeper
Hello hot rod forum
09 700 not charging when running
What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
go to new forum for tonight
Want Some Bigger Tires for the Rhino
How To Check Your Rhino 700 TPS
Most active topics
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
ALBA 734 Big Bore for 2011 Rhino 700
Picture Gallery
Truck picture thread.
What do you do for a living ?
New Yamaha SXS coming June 11 2013??.
EZ Steer Power Steering install
BUMPERS rhino.... evergoing build thread
Looking for a better holeshot
Show Your House/Compound
Top posting users this week
No user
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Troubles on the trail

Go down 
+12
madmax 1
JOHN DILLARD
chuddly
Quadog
thekevin
Kenny G
WV Hot Rod Rhino
REDRHINO64
Yotehunter66
Firefighter
Greeley
timbuck
16 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
timbuck

timbuck

Troubles on the trail Empty
PostSubject: Troubles on the trail   Troubles on the trail Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 8:36 pm

I have a 2009 500 EFI that idles great but sputters when I drive it. I thought it
was the fuel filter, but I changed that and it is still the same. I have also
changed air filter and looked for obvious loose connections and checked fuel
lines for kinks or leaks. It doesn't do it all the time, but it cuts out bad
when it does. It'll run great for miles and then all the sudden it will start
sputtering. It is intermittant and that makes it hard to troubleshoot... I use high octane gas (93). I am so frustrated, it has always ran
great until last week... My next guess is the reverse limiter switch, but I am
just shooting in the dark... Any help would be appreciated!!!! confused
Back to top Go down
Greeley

Greeley

PostSubject: Re: Troubles on the trail   Troubles on the trail Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 8:46 pm

Could it be that its a 500? lol
Back to top Go down
Firefighter

Firefighter

PostSubject: Re: Troubles on the trail   Troubles on the trail Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 8:48 pm

Gentlemen, This is my buddy Tim. I told Him if He posted His problem on here We might could help Him out.
Tim, correct me if I'm wrong, but Your machine is a rhino clone and is a 500 efi.
Wasn't sure if anyone has experience with these, but any help would be appreciated !
Back to top Go down
Yotehunter66
Yotehunter66

PostSubject: Re: Troubles on the trail   Troubles on the trail Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 9:10 pm

Clone or not the are similar probably in design. First thing I would do is make sure my jets were totally clean. When do you notice the sputtering? High speed, uphill, downhill, acceleration or cruising. Also check all your coil wiring for loose connections. Let's eliminate one thing at a time.
Back to top Go down
REDRHINO64

REDRHINO64

PostSubject: Re: Troubles on the trail   Troubles on the trail Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 9:45 pm

Also check the roll over valve and make sure its not stuck,it vents off fumes into the frame,if stuck it could cause a flooded condition.
Back to top Go down
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Admin
WV Hot Rod Rhino

PostSubject: Re: Troubles on the trail   Troubles on the trail Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 9:48 pm

its efi.no jets but it could be fuel pressure maybe..what does the plug look like.water in fuel???
Back to top Go down
timbuck

timbuck

PostSubject: Re: Troubles on the trail   Troubles on the trail Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 9:53 pm

Yes it is a Rhino clone, (Frontrunner). All is the same except the oil filter,... First time I noticed it I was going down hill in low at low speed. When I shifted to high to take off, it started sputtering. It sputtered for a while on flat trail and cleared up when I went for a while. Now it is just sparatic,... It idles great, but when you gas it, it cuts out and loses power. I will check the above. What is the best way to check the jets? Where is the roll-over valve located?
Thanks for your responses!!!Very Happy
Back to top Go down
Kenny G

Kenny G

PostSubject: Re: Troubles on the trail   Troubles on the trail Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 9:54 pm

Hey Timbuck, If your smooth with the Firefighter your alright. How easy is it to take the fuel tank off. Maybe there is something in it that is rolling around plugging the feeder-hole off once in awhile? Maybe...Like a Star @ heaven
Back to top Go down
timbuck

timbuck

PostSubject: Re: Troubles on the trail   Troubles on the trail Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 9:58 pm

Kenny,
The fuel tank is strapped under the passengers seat, looks like a booger, but I may have to do it...That is a good thought. The tank does have a large cap with the pick-up tube and vent tube. I could take that off and look in. The Dealer I bought it from says he can put it on the diagnostic machine, but I'd rather fix it myself if I can... Firefigher is a good dude!
Thanks!
Back to top Go down
timbuck

timbuck

PostSubject: Re: Troubles on the trail   Troubles on the trail Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 10:00 pm

WV,
Thanks for the info on the jets! Did not realize that. I may drain the fuel tank and put fresh gas in...
Thanks, Timbuck
Back to top Go down
Firefighter

Firefighter

PostSubject: Re: Troubles on the trail   Troubles on the trail Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 10:12 pm

Tim, on the Rhino's there is a 450, 660 and a 700. The 450 and 660 both have carbs and the 700 is fuel injected. Thats throwing some of Us off. Your machine is a 500 fuel injected so its kind of a mix.
Back to top Go down
timbuck

timbuck

PostSubject: Re: Troubles on the trail   Troubles on the trail Icon_minitimeThu Mar 21, 2013 10:14 pm

Yeah, it's a 500 yamaha EFI and they make a 700 EFI. It is made by QLink. It's a clone....
Back to top Go down
Yotehunter66
Yotehunter66

PostSubject: Re: Troubles on the trail   Troubles on the trail Icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 10:04 am

timbuck wrote:
Yeah, it's a 500 yamaha EFI and they make a 700 EFI. It is made by QLink. It's a clone....

Yeap, got me when he said it was a 500 I assumed it was carb. Check the fuel pickup in the tank and make sure there are no cracks in it. Did you happen to notice the fuel level, if there is a gauge, when this happens. You may want to change the line from the fuel pump to the carb with a clear line if it doesn't have one so you can see if you are getting any air at times.
Back to top Go down
timbuck

timbuck

PostSubject: Re: Troubles on the trail   Troubles on the trail Icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 10:45 am

I always add fresh gas before a ride, so I never let the fuel get very low at all.
Back to top Go down
thekevin

thekevin

PostSubject: Re: Troubles on the trail   Troubles on the trail Icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 11:51 am

If it's a yamaha clone and efi I wonder if it stores codes anywhere and if there is an easy way to access it through the gauge cluster like on our rhino's.
Back to top Go down
Quadog

Quadog

PostSubject: Re: Troubles on the trail   Troubles on the trail Icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 11:57 am

Could it be a clogged or bad injector?
Back to top Go down
chuddly

chuddly

PostSubject: Re: Troubles on the trail   Troubles on the trail Icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 12:26 pm

i dont know why it didnt show my post...but check your throttle position sensor....sounds like it could be the problem
Back to top Go down
JOHN DILLARD

JOHN DILLARD

PostSubject: Re: Troubles on the trail   Troubles on the trail Icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 12:34 pm

Check plug wire at plug end must fit very tight.had same prob with rhino.james fixed me up.
Back to top Go down
madmax 1

madmax 1

PostSubject: Re: Troubles on the trail   Troubles on the trail Icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 1:42 pm

i would check the spark plug and your fuel first bad fuel can do alot
Back to top Go down
timbuck

timbuck

PostSubject: Re: Troubles on the trail   Troubles on the trail Icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 5:59 pm

I called the dealer and I am going to take it in. I can't even get it to run now. He said he can hook it up and check the error codes...He thinks it is electronic. I did check the plug and plug wire, all were good. I was real close to putting a match to it today!!! Twisted Evil
Thanks for all the help! I will post what the problem was when I find out....
Back to top Go down
Firefighter

Firefighter

PostSubject: Re: Troubles on the trail   Troubles on the trail Icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 6:11 pm

Good deal Tim, Hope it is something simple. Where is the dealer for those ?
Back to top Go down
Gyrene

Gyrene

PostSubject: Re: Troubles on the trail   Troubles on the trail Icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 8:33 pm

Sounds like a fuel problem, water in gas maybe.

You said, "First time I noticed it I was going down hill in low at low speed. When I shifted to high to take off, it started sputtering. It sputtered for a while on flat trail and cleared up when I went for a while."

Water and gas will not mix so to speak and they stay somewhat separated in the tank, kinda like oil and water, sometimes big globes of water sometimes small globes of water throughout the tank. Sounds like when you went down the hill the fuel level in the tank changed and allowed some of the water to get picked up and entered the fuel line and caused the sputtering, the water can cause it to backfire too. After running it a bit it passed the water through the system only to sputter again when it gets more water in the line, probably picking it up as it's sloshing in the tank.

I filled up my motorcycle one time, tank nearly empty and rode it about 3 miles and it started sputtering and running bad, I tried to make it home but had to trailer it home. It had a lot of water in the gas and it stunk, hard to explain but it had a petroleum kind of odor but it stunk and didn't smell like gas, bet there was a quart of water in that tank of gas.

Smell of it and see if it smells like fresh gas, if not I would definitely dump it and add fresh gas from a different gas station and run it to flush the system.

This sorry gas with ethenol will start breaking down after about 3 weeks and will draw moisture causing the same problems as well as varnish and gumming of your fuel system if it sits unused for long periods of time. I use fuel stabilizers to prevent it from breaking down.
Good luck troubleshooting it and let us know what you find...
Back to top Go down
Yotehunter66
Yotehunter66

PostSubject: Re: Troubles on the trail   Troubles on the trail Icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 8:54 pm

I've seen them act the way he was describing because of a hole or crack in the pick line for the tank also. When going down hill will sometimes expose the crack or hole and allow air in the line. Sometimes you just have to eliminate one thing at a time. I would still consider changing your fuel lines to clear. May help you in the future diagnose problems quicker. Good luck.
Back to top Go down
REDRHINO64

REDRHINO64

PostSubject: Re: Troubles on the trail   Troubles on the trail Icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 8:58 pm

If all else fails..pour some moonshine in there and see what happens! lol!Twisted Evil
Back to top Go down
Stuntmanmike

Stuntmanmike

PostSubject: Re: Troubles on the trail   Troubles on the trail Icon_minitimeFri Mar 22, 2013 9:11 pm

Sounds like a fuel pump going bad.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Troubles on the trail   Troubles on the trail Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Troubles on the trail
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next