HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM

Yamaha Rhino

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Events  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Welcome to the forum!! also check us out at hotrodforums.net

Who is online?
In total there are 24 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 24 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 207 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:13 pm
Latest topics
» forum back open for posting
cv joints Icon_minitimeWed Aug 16, 2023 1:17 pm by RADICAL RAM

» rhino 660 hid visionx headlights for sale
cv joints Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 4:54 pm by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» New JBS Extreme sheave milling
cv joints Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 1:28 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» NEW FORUM!
cv joints Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 12:35 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
cv joints Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 11:01 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Forgot what the new sites name is?????
cv joints Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 10:59 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Truck picture thread.
cv joints Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 9:33 am by Tacoclaw

» go to new forum for tonight
cv joints Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:50 am by chuddly

» First rhino 09 450
cv joints Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:47 am by chuddly

Top posters
WV Hot Rod Rhino
cv joints Vote_lcapcv joints Voting_barcv joints Vote_rcap 
madmax 1
REDRHINO64
ASPENDELLROVER
T.Rhino
123.bert0621
Firefighter
rhino727
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13
flimmy
Most Viewed Topics
Rhino 700 Electrical Problem - Solved!
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
NEW FORUM!
Sand Reeper
Hello hot rod forum
09 700 not charging when running
What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
go to new forum for tonight
Want Some Bigger Tires for the Rhino
How To Check Your Rhino 700 TPS
Most active topics
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
ALBA 734 Big Bore for 2011 Rhino 700
Picture Gallery
Truck picture thread.
What do you do for a living ?
New Yamaha SXS coming June 11 2013??.
EZ Steer Power Steering install
BUMPERS rhino.... evergoing build thread
Looking for a better holeshot
Show Your House/Compound
Top posting users this week
No user
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

cv joints

Go down 
+7
EddieMc
kronik
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13
sls666
08Rhino450SE
txgrown1404
Bumpers
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Bumpers

Bumpers

cv joints Empty
PostSubject: cv joints   cv joints Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 2:21 am

Ok guys ive murdered multiple rear cv joints left and right side and im wondering whats better out there that will work as a stock replacement joint or what can be built to make them hold up ? Ive seen the different cages and stuff for them but im still not sure whats the best route to go about it.. but it gets really olx fixing them all the time. Im running summers bros 300m rear shafts and stock cv joints. I have never broken a axle shaft only broken joints. Im just looking for a tough setup that will stand some abuse..
Back to top Go down
txgrown1404

txgrown1404

cv joints Empty
PostSubject: Re: cv joints   cv joints Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 2:44 am

i have gorrilla axles and cv joints and i run hard as hell through rocky rough terrain and never had an issue so far and what good is yuou can buy rebuilts kits cheap but i have never had to replace one yet
Back to top Go down
08Rhino450SE

08Rhino450SE

cv joints Empty
PostSubject: Re: cv joints   cv joints Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 10:06 am

Bumpers wrote:
Ok guys ive murdered multiple rear cv joints left and right side and im wondering whats better out there that will work as a stock replacement joint or what can be built to make them hold up ? Ive seen the different cages and stuff for them but im still not sure whats the best route to go about it.. but it gets really olx fixing them all the time. Im running summers bros 300m rear shafts and stock cv joints. I have never broken a axle shaft only broken joints. Im just looking for a tough setup that will stand some abuse..

garrett, was this during your shakedown run or have you broken them over the years?
haven't seen a post from you since you got it all put back together., but i haven't been on here a lot, either. bounce
Back to top Go down
sls666

sls666

cv joints Empty
PostSubject: Re: cv joints   cv joints Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 12:46 pm

anyone ever use american cv they are all over ebay? ive never used anything but stock myself but would be willing to try something a touch stronger but not 400 a peice stronger
Back to top Go down
Bumpers

Bumpers

cv joints Empty
PostSubject: Re: cv joints   cv joints Icon_minitimeSun Apr 21, 2013 11:03 pm

Ive broken many of them over time.. I have a set of gorilla axles too but they are heavy and pull out of the diff all the time. But with the new engine first ride within 20minutes off the trailer I snapped one on a hill thats just straight concrete slabs .. I was just wondering what parts yo can put in the stock cv housings that will hold up.. I wouod rather run my summers bros axles than the gorillas
Back to top Go down
Bumpers

Bumpers

cv joints Empty
PostSubject: Re: cv joints   cv joints Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 9:42 pm

Ive got a set of gorilla axles I may just put in the rear and bolt em together .. downfall is just gunna be if they break it will be a pain to change
Back to top Go down
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

cv joints Empty
PostSubject: Re: cv joints   cv joints Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 10:03 pm

Too much power in that baby!cv joints 2016508534
Back to top Go down
kronik

kronik

cv joints Empty
PostSubject: Re: cv joints   cv joints Icon_minitimeTue Apr 23, 2013 11:25 pm

Garrett, no word of a lie dude, but if you're axle (specifically, the right rear...) is pulling out using the Gorilla axles, the shaft length is too short... There truly is NO reason to bolt them together unless you're trying to account for a "length" issue on the shafts. And with that said.. The people who built your long travel, and seriously, I don't care how good their name is, gave you the WRONG LENGTH AXLES. PERIOD. END OF STORY. Did Gorilla screw up the length? Maybe. Did the LT manufacturer screw up? Maybe. Fact is, somebody out of the two screwed up. PERIOD. Gorilla is the ONLY axle I'll run, because they're the best. Whatever on the "300M" shafts... I'm talking "cup" my "balls" and Summer's don't play that game.... Least not for mud...

Axles DO NOT pull out of the Rhino diff unless the shaft size is wrong....

Back to top Go down
Bumpers

Bumpers

cv joints Empty
PostSubject: Re: cv joints   cv joints Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 12:48 pm

Both sides pop out all the time they... I only rode one time and i bet i had to pop them back in 3 or 4 times.... They are long enough to go through the travel on a jack but if you are actually driving and jump somthing it will pop one or both of them out. ... I dont really ride mud other than a few puddles on trails and such. I would rather do fast trail riding any day of the week
Back to top Go down
txgrown1404

txgrown1404

cv joints Empty
PostSubject: Re: cv joints   cv joints Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 6:01 pm

i have 6.5" long travel and if you have the same you have to specify that bc there standard long travel axles they sell are to short, i had to send mine back bc they were doing to same thing. i told them i had had long travel that was 6.5" and they said thats why they were popping out. they have to special make axles for 6.5" long travel....
Back to top Go down
Bumpers

Bumpers

cv joints Empty
PostSubject: Re: cv joints   cv joints Icon_minitimeWed Apr 24, 2013 8:33 pm

Mines only 6" over and I got the axles with the kit .. fabtech built the rhino that the suspension and everything came off of
Back to top Go down
EddieMc

EddieMc

cv joints Empty
PostSubject: Re: cv joints   cv joints Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 4:22 pm

maybe try sommers brothers axles as well we all have those on ours with no issues
Back to top Go down
onebuilder

onebuilder

cv joints Empty
PostSubject: Re: cv joints   cv joints Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 4:38 pm

Have you checked out the Gear One CVs?

I agree though, you have a issue why they keep popping out.

You bought this kit used?
Back to top Go down
Bumpers

Bumpers

cv joints Empty
PostSubject: Re: cv joints   cv joints Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 6:50 pm

i will look into them... thats what im looking for some stout cv joints.. I have the summers bros rear 300ms as well as the gorillas.. im just trying to stay away from the gorillas.

I bought the long travel kit used and it had fabtech 4340 front shafts with stock cvs and gorillas in the rear i bought the summers bros axles with stock ccvs. The gorillas pop out of the diff.. and i just break the stock cv joints on the summers bros. Some tough stock replacement cv joints is basically what im in search of inners and outers.. Most of the time i break the left rear inner
Back to top Go down
onebuilder

onebuilder

cv joints Empty
PostSubject: Re: cv joints   cv joints Icon_minitimeFri Apr 26, 2013 7:01 pm

Bumpers wrote:
i will look into them... thats what im looking for some stout cv joints.. I have the summers bros rear 300ms as well as the gorillas.. im just trying to stay away from the gorillas.

I bought the long travel kit used and it had fabtech 4340 front shafts with stock cvs and gorillas in the rear i bought the summers bros axles with stock ccvs. The gorillas pop out of the diff.. and i just break the stock cv joints on the summers bros. Some tough stock replacement cv joints is basically what im in search of inners and outers.. Most of the time i break the left rear inner

Gear One has what your looking for in their UTV Gear section.
Back to top Go down
Bumpers

Bumpers

cv joints Empty
PostSubject: Re: cv joints   cv joints Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 12:45 am

Gear one offers the cages for the rearjoints for 80 a piece.. how much stronger overall does that makethe joint? The only other option is there drive kits and im not spending 3k more on this thing I could soend the money on the cages and I guess get new ball bearings and rebuild both rear axles but if I break one im prolly just gunna set the dang thing on fire and call it a loss lol

Back to top Go down
EddieMc

EddieMc

cv joints Empty
PostSubject: Re: cv joints   cv joints Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 1:59 am

I think sommers brothers has heavier cvs as well
Back to top Go down
kronik

kronik

cv joints Empty
PostSubject: Re: cv joints   cv joints Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 9:01 am

Bumpers wrote:
Both sides pop out all the time they... I only rode one time and i bet i had to pop them back in 3 or 4 times.... They are long enough to go through the travel on a jack but if you are actually driving and jump somthing it will pop one or both of them out. ...
You can put a suspension together, wrong size axle shafts, leave the shocks disconected and have the rhino on a jack stand and I guarantee you wouldn't see a problem with "length" by cycling the travel of both sides (even a diametrically opposed stance of the rear suspension...) unless the shafts are THAT far out of whack...
As far as the "gorilla" axles popping out, you got the wrong length shafts. It really is that simple. You're looking for a better "cv" because you break the stockers, well, you already have pretty much the best made cv, you just need to correct the shaft length. Much cheaper than buying aftermarket star/cage/bearings and hoping they'll solve the issue. All that does is move it to the next weakest link: the stock cup you're going to put that in...

Quote :
I dont really ride mud other than a few puddles on trails and such. I would rather do fast trail riding any day of the week
You build a Rhino for where you can drive it, nuff sed.
Back to top Go down
Bumpers

Bumpers

cv joints Empty
PostSubject: Re: cv joints   cv joints Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 12:10 pm

kronik wrote:
Bumpers wrote:
Both sides pop out all the time they... I only rode one time and i bet i had to pop them back in 3 or 4 times.... They are long enough to go through the travel on a jack but if you are actually driving and jump somthing it will pop one or both of them out. ...
You can put a suspension together, wrong size axle shafts, leave the shocks disconected and have the rhino on a jack stand and I guarantee you wouldn't see a problem with "length" by cycling the travel of both sides (even a diametrically opposed stance of the rear suspension...) unless the shafts are THAT far out of whack...
As far as the "gorilla" axles popping out, you got the wrong length shafts. It really is that simple. You're looking for a better "cv" because you break the stockers, well, you already have pretty much the best made cv, you just need to correct the shaft length. Much cheaper than buying aftermarket star/cage/bearings and hoping they'll solve the issue. All that does is move it to the next weakest link: the stock cup you're going to put that in...

Quote :
I dont really ride mud other than a few puddles on trails and such. I would rather do fast trail riding any day of the week
You build a Rhino for where you can drive it, nuff sed.

i dont think you understand what im saying... i had issues with the gorilla axles popping out of the diffs... the guy that had the suspension before me and the axles had limit straps on the back and he told me it fixed his issue with them popping out... but thats besides the point.. im not running the gorilla axles anymore i just thought of putting them back in and either bolting them or running limit straps.

Im running summers bros axles now with stock cv joints. I havent had any issues with them popping out or anything but i have broken one cv joint and looking to upgrade the joints to strenthen the rear up. because thats what gets hammered the most. I broke a cv on a steep hill suspension about normal not compressed or at droop. Its not a lenth problem. I have a whole pile of broken axles and cvs from even when the rhino was stock just hard on it and want some parts that will last alittle longer... I mean all my buddies with rzrs go the same places i do and mine breaks more often lol.
Back to top Go down
RiverRat

RiverRat

cv joints Empty
PostSubject: Re: cv joints   cv joints Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 2:08 pm

kronik wrote:
Garrett, no word of a lie dude, but if you're axle (specifically, the right rear...) is pulling out using the Gorilla axles, the shaft length is too short... There truly is NO reason to bolt them together unless you're trying to account for a "length" issue on the shafts. And with that said.. The people who built your long travel, and seriously, I don't care how good their name is, gave you the WRONG LENGTH AXLES. PERIOD. END OF STORY. Did Gorilla screw up the length? Maybe. Did the LT manufacturer screw up? Maybe. Fact is, somebody out of the two screwed up. PERIOD. Gorilla is the ONLY axle I'll run, because they're the best. Whatever on the "300M" shafts... I'm talking "cup" my "balls" and Summer's don't play that game.... Least not for mud...

Axles DO NOT pull out of the Rhino diff unless the shaft size is wrong....

I've called gorilla about this issue and they say that isn't it. Any advice on what I can say when I call next time?
Back to top Go down
kronik

kronik

cv joints Empty
PostSubject: Re: cv joints   cv joints Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 3:04 pm

[quote="Bumpers"]
Quote :
i dont think you understand what im saying... i had issues with the gorilla axles popping out of the diffs... the guy that had the suspension before me and the axles had limit straps on the back and he told me it fixed his issue with them popping out... but thats besides the point.. im not running the gorilla axles anymore i just thought of putting them back in and either bolting them or running limit straps.

Garrett.. Bro, I'm only trying to give you the best advice I can based on what you've said in this thread. That said, I think we've established that you've got issues with the Gorilla axles, and I've pretty much explained why you have issues with your set. Gorilla's aren't cheap, I know I use custom length shafts on mine and to get a complete axle costs me like $450 per axle the last time I ordered one. But I use them because the cups/cages/stars as well as the shafts are all better than stock. Whether a cryo treated 4340 shaft (Gorilla) is better than a 300m shaft (Summer's, Gear One...) for what you do is open for debate... But I know this, if I had a set of Gorilla axles that I wasn't going to use, I'd sell them, use the money for what you're trying to do.

I might be mistaken, but at one point Gorilla was making 4340 replacement cages for stock axles (much like Gear One does) so you could check with them if that's still the case. Might be cheaper than the Gear One at $80 bucks.

Quote :
Im running summers bros axles now with stock cv joints. I havent had any issues with them popping out or anything but i have broken one cv joint and looking to upgrade the joints to strenthen the rear up. because thats what gets hammered the most. I broke a cv on a steep hill suspension about normal not compressed or at droop. Its not a lenth problem. I have a whole pile of broken axles and cvs from even when the rhino was stock just hard on it and want some parts that will last alittle longer... I mean all my buddies with rzrs go the same places i do and mine breaks more often lol.
From what I've noticed with axles popping out, it's more from scrubbing than travel. It does suck when you break and the guys you ride with don't. I think everyone (no matter what they ride) has been towed back to staging at one time or another Wink
Back to top Go down
kronik

kronik

cv joints Empty
PostSubject: Re: cv joints   cv joints Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 3:05 pm

[quote="Swampdonkey"]
Quote :
I've called gorilla about this issue and they say that isn't it. Any advice on what I can say when I call next time?

Gorilla is a funny company... I mean I can't talk to the women that answer the phone, they're kind of clueless if you want an order to get to you correct. Greg was good to talk to, but he's not there anymore I think. Not sure how to guide you, swamp, are you running stock suspension?

Here's the deal... I've ordered axles from Gorilla, replacements (so the same size), and had different shaft lengths on the same axle. Keep in mind that even a 1/8th difference on the shaft length can mean the difference of them pulling out or staying in place. Their square clips are better than the "stock" rounded ones, I'll give them that, but that doesn't and won't keep an axle from pulling out.

Curious though, if Gorilla says that shaft length isn't the problem with their axles pulling out, what are they saying the problem is?
Back to top Go down
RiverRat

RiverRat

cv joints Empty
PostSubject: Re: cv joints   cv joints Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 3:31 pm

[quote="kronik"]
Swampdonkey wrote:
Quote :

Gorilla is a funny company... I mean I can't talk to the women that answer the phone, they're kind of clueless if you want an order to get to you correct. Greg was good to talk to, but he's not there anymore I think. Not sure how to guide you, swamp, are you running stock suspension?

Here's the deal... I've ordered axles from Gorilla, replacements (so the same size), and had different shaft lengths on the same axle. Keep in mind that even a 1/8th difference on the shaft length can mean the difference of them pulling out or staying in place. Their square clips are better than the "stock" rounded ones, I'll give them that, but that doesn't and won't keep an axle from pulling out.

Curious though, if Gorilla says that shaft length isn't the problem with their axles pulling out, what are they saying the problem is?

True fact about the girl that answers the phone. She put me on with a guy that said my diff was the problem. I don't have a rear diff brace yet. Still shopping. I've managed to tear the axle seal twice now and the axle end looks trashed now. So I do need something done. I did buy these because I am hard on chit and managed to not tear them up on my brute force.
Back to top Go down
Bumpers

Bumpers

cv joints Empty
PostSubject: Re: cv joints   cv joints Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 3:39 pm

[quote="kronik"]
Bumpers wrote:
Quote :

Garrett.. Bro, I'm only trying to give you the best advice I can based on what you've said in this thread. That said, I think we've established that you've got issues with the Gorilla axles, and I've pretty much explained why you have issues with your set. Gorilla's aren't cheap, I know I use custom length shafts on mine and to get a complete axle costs me like $450 per axle the last time I ordered one. But I use them because the cups/cages/stars as well as the shafts are all better than stock. Whether a cryo treated 4340 shaft (Gorilla) is better than a 300m shaft (Summer's, Gear One...) for what you do is open for debate... But I know this, if I had a set of Gorilla axles that I wasn't going to use, I'd sell them, use the money for what you're trying to do.

I might be mistaken, but at one point Gorilla was making 4340 replacement cages for stock axles (much like Gear One does) so you could check with them if that's still the case. Might be cheaper than the Gear One at $80 bucks.

Quote :
From what I've noticed with axles popping out, it's more from scrubbing than travel. It does suck when you break and the guys you ride with don't. I think everyone (no matter what they ride) has been towed back to staging at one time or another Wink

I will sell them later on once i get my issues fixed. But right now im holding on to them just incase i need them.
I talked with the ppl at gorilla and they told me its a common problem with their axles pulling out of the diffs. I was told to take a dremel and deepen the channel where the cir clip rides to hold them in. That come straight from the ppl at gorilla. I will call them and check on the cages. I really like the lighter stock cvs but if i have to i may have to run gorillas in the rear. All i know is i have about 1k in axles and none of them work at the moment lol
Back to top Go down
Stuntmanmike

Stuntmanmike

cv joints Empty
PostSubject: Re: cv joints   cv joints Icon_minitimeSat Apr 27, 2013 3:57 pm

I started using Gorilla cages years ago to rebuild all the broken stock one's and they have performed great. And there much less than $80.pirat
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

cv joints Empty
PostSubject: Re: cv joints   cv joints Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

cv joints
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next