HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM

Yamaha Rhino

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Events  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Welcome to the forum!! also check us out at hotrodforums.net

Who is online?
In total there are 13 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 13 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 207 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:13 pm
Latest topics
» forum back open for posting
Melted wiring in harness Icon_minitimeWed Aug 16, 2023 1:17 pm by RADICAL RAM

» rhino 660 hid visionx headlights for sale
Melted wiring in harness Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 4:54 pm by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» New JBS Extreme sheave milling
Melted wiring in harness Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 1:28 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» NEW FORUM!
Melted wiring in harness Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 12:35 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
Melted wiring in harness Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 11:01 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Forgot what the new sites name is?????
Melted wiring in harness Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 10:59 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Truck picture thread.
Melted wiring in harness Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 9:33 am by Tacoclaw

» go to new forum for tonight
Melted wiring in harness Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:50 am by chuddly

» First rhino 09 450
Melted wiring in harness Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:47 am by chuddly

Top posters
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Melted wiring in harness Vote_lcapMelted wiring in harness Voting_barMelted wiring in harness Vote_rcap 
madmax 1
Melted wiring in harness Vote_lcapMelted wiring in harness Voting_barMelted wiring in harness Vote_rcap 
REDRHINO64
ASPENDELLROVER
T.Rhino
123.bert0621
Firefighter
rhino727
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13
flimmy
Most Viewed Topics
Rhino 700 Electrical Problem - Solved!
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
NEW FORUM!
Sand Reeper
Hello hot rod forum
09 700 not charging when running
What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
go to new forum for tonight
Want Some Bigger Tires for the Rhino
How To Check Your Rhino 700 TPS
Most active topics
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
ALBA 734 Big Bore for 2011 Rhino 700
Picture Gallery
Truck picture thread.
What do you do for a living ?
New Yamaha SXS coming June 11 2013??.
EZ Steer Power Steering install
BUMPERS rhino.... evergoing build thread
Looking for a better holeshot
Show Your House/Compound
Top posting users this week
No user
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Melted wiring in harness

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
TBOMB

Melted wiring in harness Empty
PostSubject: Melted wiring in harness   Melted wiring in harness Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 6:34 pm

I forgot to mention that while troubleshooting my radiator fan problem I stumbled onto melted wires in the harness coming off of the CDI unit. One of them happened to be the infamous ground wire. The other is a white wire with a green tracer which seems to be the signal from the pickup coil under the flywheel. Anyway, the sucker would still run. I cut out the bad portions of the wires and soldered in new wire. Just something for you guys to check when you get a chance. I upgraded the grounding first thing after I purchased it used.

Melted wiring in harness <a href=Melted wiring in harness Rhino_zpsfcfe341d" />Melted wiring in harness <a href=Melted wiring in harness Draftingtable004_zps2468b2c2" />Melted wiring in harness <a href=Melted wiring in harness Draftingtable007_zps103f7c52" />
Back to top Go down
T.Rhino

T.Rhino

PostSubject: Re: Melted wiring in harness   Melted wiring in harness Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 7:46 pm

Thank god you found that when you did and not out on a trail at night away from the house.
Back to top Go down
TBOMB

PostSubject: Re: Melted wiring in harness   Melted wiring in harness Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 8:00 pm

Yeah no kidding!!! It was strictly a stroke of luck or divine providence! By the way, I really appreciate the help with the picture uploading. Thanks!!
Back to top Go down
T.Rhino

T.Rhino

PostSubject: Re: Melted wiring in harness   Melted wiring in harness Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 8:22 pm

All no problem anything I can do to help it just might not be much sometimes. Lol
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

PostSubject: Re: Melted wiring in harness   Melted wiring in harness Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 8:38 pm

White with green stripe wire  seems to have to do with the ignition pickup coil associated with the stator. You might want to check the system voltage at the battery while running, just to make sure that it is charging properly. The pickup coil and the stator proper are quite independent of each other (sharing the magnet(s) in the flywheel) but is sold as a 'set' by Yamaha.

Did the burn-up happen very recently, or might you have noticed something that happened long ago? Perhaps the smell would be a clue there?

When you revamped the grounding, did you disconnect the black pigtail wire from the battery negative terminal? That is the ground return path that I was suggesting be eliminated in favor of direct connections to the frame (the wire harness end of the pigtail to the frame and a beefy connection from motor case to frame). Just in case you have not seen this post: https://hotrodrhinoforums.forumotion.com/t1104-improve-your-grounding
Back to top Go down
TBOMB

PostSubject: Re: Melted wiring in harness   Melted wiring in harness Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 9:01 pm

Steve,
         Not exactly sure when this calamity occured, but I suspect that it was prior to me buying it third hand. The reason that I say that is that the owner previous to me stated that he had a winch on that burned up after two or three uses. I replaced the stator back in April of this year and  have had no problems with charging. Also, prior to joining any forums, I realized that the engine was mounted on rubber bushings and grounding appeared to be puny. Any way, charging is good; two batteries with sure power isolator; and grounding not nearly as neat as yours, but functional.  Would your guess  be around 20 amps output for stator. I'm sorrry, What is your exact figure?
(Kidding of course). You have to be an engineer!!!!
Back to top Go down
TBOMB

PostSubject: Re: Melted wiring in harness   Melted wiring in harness Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 9:29 pm

Correction on previous statement: I have a sure power battery separator, not an isolator.
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

PostSubject: Re: Melted wiring in harness   Melted wiring in harness Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 9:32 pm

TBOMB wrote:
Steve,
         Not exactly sure when this calamity occured, but I suspect that it was prior to me buying it third hand. The reason that I say that is that the owner previous to me stated that he had a winch on that burned up after two or three uses. I replaced the stator back in April of this year and  have had no problems with charging. Also, prior to joining any forums, I realized that the engine was mounted on rubber bushings and grounding appeared to be puny. Any way, charging is good; two batteries with sure power isolator; and grounding not nearly as neat as yours, but functional.  Would your guess  be around 20 amps output for stator. I'm sorrry, What is your exact figure?
(Kidding of course). You have to be an engineer!!!!
Yeah, I am/was an engineer, retiring at the end of next week cheers
I am a mechanical engineer with my fingers in electronics, optics, lasers and assorted stuff as it comes up.

If you are interested in the power output of the stock stator, I did a load test series a long while back on my 2004. Switched banks of incandescent lights that I used as a load while measuring the voltage at the battery. When the voltage drops to battery rest voltage, that is all that the charging system has to give. I was actually comparing the output of the stock Rectifier/Regulator module with an aftermarket module from Black Rhino at the time.

Melted wiring in harness Regtestchart92904wa7
Back to top Go down
TBOMB

PostSubject: Re: Melted wiring in harness   Melted wiring in harness Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 9:46 pm

Congratulations on your retirement!!!
     I was asking about the current output because I noticed while troubleshooting my radiator fan problem, that it was drawing approx. 5.5 amps and from what I've read, the output is somewhere close to 250 watts for the stock stator. If so, thats close to 25 percent of total output and needs to be considered when adding accesories.  By the way, my Dad was a Civil Engineer and I still have problems using any thing other than an HP calculator.
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

PostSubject: Re: Melted wiring in harness   Melted wiring in harness Icon_minitimeWed Jun 26, 2013 10:22 pm

TBOMB wrote:
Congratulations on your retirement!!!
     I was asking about the current output because I noticed while troubleshooting my radiator fan problem, that it was drawing approx. 5.5 amps and from what I've read, the output is somewhere close to 250 watts for the stock stator. If so, thats close to 25 percent of total output and needs to be considered when adding accesories.  By the way, my Dad was a Civil Engineer and I still have problems using any thing other than an HP calculator.

HaHa. Yeah, me too, for a long time. That Reverse Polish Notation frys your brain in regards to thinking normal-like. It wasn't until computers took over that I could do arithmetic the 'proper' way.

One way to think about it is to consider what the duty cycle is on the fan motor. If it runs for 15 seconds for every 15 minutes, it is not much to worry about at all. If you are out plowing the field and the fan is full on, well, then you don't want to be flashing the big lights and throwing the tunes out. A digital voltmeter in the dash is a good way to keep tabs on what is going on. 12.7 volts or so is the break point for losing ground on the battery charging. You have dual isolated batteries, you should not have to worry too much about it as long as you have the non-essential stuff running off of the aux system.

I am indeed looking forward to kicking back for a while. Counting the days, no less. cheers
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Melted wiring in harness   Melted wiring in harness Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Melted wiring in harness
Page 1 of 1