HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM

Yamaha Rhino

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Events  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Welcome to the forum!! also check us out at hotrodforums.net

Who is online?
In total there are 13 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 13 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 207 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:13 pm
Latest topics
» forum back open for posting
cv joint rebuild Icon_minitimeWed Aug 16, 2023 1:17 pm by RADICAL RAM

» rhino 660 hid visionx headlights for sale
cv joint rebuild Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 4:54 pm by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» New JBS Extreme sheave milling
cv joint rebuild Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 1:28 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» NEW FORUM!
cv joint rebuild Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 12:35 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
cv joint rebuild Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 11:01 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Forgot what the new sites name is?????
cv joint rebuild Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 10:59 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Truck picture thread.
cv joint rebuild Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 9:33 am by Tacoclaw

» go to new forum for tonight
cv joint rebuild Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:50 am by chuddly

» First rhino 09 450
cv joint rebuild Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:47 am by chuddly

Top posters
WV Hot Rod Rhino
cv joint rebuild Vote_lcapcv joint rebuild Voting_barcv joint rebuild Vote_rcap 
madmax 1
REDRHINO64
ASPENDELLROVER
T.Rhino
123.bert0621
Firefighter
rhino727
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13
flimmy
Most Viewed Topics
Rhino 700 Electrical Problem - Solved!
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
NEW FORUM!
Sand Reeper
Hello hot rod forum
09 700 not charging when running
What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
go to new forum for tonight
Want Some Bigger Tires for the Rhino
How To Check Your Rhino 700 TPS
Most active topics
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
ALBA 734 Big Bore for 2011 Rhino 700
Picture Gallery
Truck picture thread.
What do you do for a living ?
New Yamaha SXS coming June 11 2013??.
EZ Steer Power Steering install
BUMPERS rhino.... evergoing build thread
Looking for a better holeshot
Show Your House/Compound
Top posting users this week
No user
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

cv joint rebuild

Go down 
+3
123.bert0621
T.Rhino
Hump
7 posters
AuthorMessage
Hump

Hump

cv joint rebuild Empty
PostSubject: cv joint rebuild   cv joint rebuild Icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 7:34 pm

I got two bad outer cv joints setting around now, so I think I may try a rebuild kit on one and see what happens.  I know I can do it, but I just wonder if I will get good results.  I'm going to make a beer run and tear one down here in a few to see if I can figure out what parts are bad causing all the clicking.  If the cup looks good, I will try the rebuild.

Anyone ever do this?
Back to top Go down
Hump

Hump

cv joint rebuild Empty
PostSubject: Re: cv joint rebuild   cv joint rebuild Icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 7:38 pm

I would like to add...If you have a cv joint go bad and the boot didn't lose any grease, don't reuse the boot, go ahead and get a new one.  I needed a boot so I used the one from the old broke cv because it looked dry and in great shape.  One ride with it and there is grease everywhere and I have another bad cv joint.
Back to top Go down
T.Rhino

T.Rhino

cv joint rebuild Empty
PostSubject: Re: cv joint rebuild   cv joint rebuild Icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 8:19 pm

I have never used a rebuild kit just taken them apart and cleaned and regressed after boot was ripped and lost all the grease and had water in it and sand. Had good luck with that. Only use marine grease.
Back to top Go down
123.bert0621

123.bert0621

cv joint rebuild Empty
PostSubject: Re: cv joint rebuild   cv joint rebuild Icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 8:49 pm

I would go with Teddy's idea, remove the joint clean it thoroughly , replace the boot and install fresh grease.
Back to top Go down
Hump

Hump

cv joint rebuild Empty
PostSubject: Re: cv joint rebuild   cv joint rebuild Icon_minitimeSun Aug 25, 2013 11:58 pm

I tore the 1st one I replaced down this evening and it still had some grease in it.  Seems the star in the middle is a little sloppy in the cage, and the cage fits sloppy in the cup.  I took it apart, cleaned it, and put it back together to find what was bad but I can't really tell for sure.  I think I'm going to try the rebuild just to see what happens.
Back to top Go down
scottwv

cv joint rebuild Empty
PostSubject: Re: cv joint rebuild   cv joint rebuild Icon_minitimeMon Aug 26, 2013 8:18 am

How much $$ is the kit , compared to an axle??
Back to top Go down
Hump

Hump

cv joint rebuild Empty
PostSubject: Re: cv joint rebuild   cv joint rebuild Icon_minitimeMon Aug 26, 2013 11:41 am

I ordered the kit from Amazon last night for $60 and free shipping.  Comes with star, cage, balls, grease, and boot kit.  The whole cv joint from EPI was only 80, but I've heard all the horror storys of aftermarket cvs not fitting the rear knuckles right, and the length being wrong, etc.  I figured rebuilding what I have will solve that.  I have to try it since I have two axles now that are good other than the outer joints.
Back to top Go down
TBONE21

TBONE21

cv joint rebuild Empty
PostSubject: Re: cv joint rebuild   cv joint rebuild Icon_minitimeMon Aug 26, 2013 3:44 pm

u will get it Hump. The Humpster always pulls through. Keep us posted and if you need any help then ill come help ya
Back to top Go down
123.bert0621

123.bert0621

cv joint rebuild Empty
PostSubject: Re: cv joint rebuild   cv joint rebuild Icon_minitimeMon Aug 26, 2013 6:42 pm

Sounds like a good price and a logical decision, should work out fine.
Back to top Go down
Hump

Hump

cv joint rebuild Empty
PostSubject: Re: cv joint rebuild   cv joint rebuild Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 8:41 pm

Just got back from the abusive 55 mile test ride and it done great.  I really gave it hell, and all is good.
Back to top Go down
T.Rhino

T.Rhino

cv joint rebuild Empty
PostSubject: Re: cv joint rebuild   cv joint rebuild Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 9:00 pm

Good to here the boys 660 needs one pretty soon where did you find it at. Might give it a try on his.
Back to top Go down
08Rhino450SE

08Rhino450SE

cv joint rebuild Empty
PostSubject: Re: cv joint rebuild   cv joint rebuild Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 9:25 pm

Hump wrote:
Just got back from the abusive 55 mile test ride and it done great.  I really gave it hell, and all is good.
as a gauge for how long it took, did it take a 6-, 12-pack or case to do the work? bounce
Back to top Go down
scottwv

cv joint rebuild Empty
PostSubject: Re: cv joint rebuild   cv joint rebuild Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 10:35 pm

08Rhino450SE wrote:
Hump wrote:
as a gauge for how long it took, did it take a 6-, 12-pack or case to do the work? bounce
That is "collateral" damage ; and , is irrelevant to the cause !!!lol!   I've "pieced" together several axles...NEVER...throw away ur "broke" shit...it'll come in handy at some point !!
Back to top Go down
Hump

Hump

cv joint rebuild Empty
PostSubject: Re: cv joint rebuild   cv joint rebuild Icon_minitimeMon Sep 02, 2013 12:36 am

I worked on it early so I didn't have any Millers, but it was pretty easy as long as you don't try to force the cage in or out.  It's like a puzzle, get it just right and it just falls in place.  The boots and clamps are harder to deal with than the cv. 

The kit was Quadboss brand, and I ordered it from Amazon.com.  Got here in 3 days. $60 free shipping.

I seen a video on youtube for doing a boot job and the guy put a zip tie around the clip that holds the cv joint in so the joint would slide over it easy without getting messed up.  It just shoves the zip tie down as you put it on.  I tried that for the 1st time and it worked great.
Back to top Go down
ASPENDELLROVER

ASPENDELLROVER

cv joint rebuild Empty
PostSubject: Re: cv joint rebuild   cv joint rebuild Icon_minitimeMon Sep 02, 2013 3:11 am

you tube and amazon? did ya catch the justin bieber video too?
Back to top Go down
123.bert0621

123.bert0621

cv joint rebuild Empty
PostSubject: Re: cv joint rebuild   cv joint rebuild Icon_minitimeMon Sep 02, 2013 10:35 am

I used that trick on my rear outer to and it worked on the second try, a good trick.

Last edited by 123.bert0621 on Mon Sep 02, 2013 3:06 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
scottwv

cv joint rebuild Empty
PostSubject: Re: cv joint rebuild   cv joint rebuild Icon_minitimeMon Sep 02, 2013 10:38 am

Those little clips can be a bitch!!  I broke one on a fri eve...with a sat ride planned...luckily , my bud had kept all of his broken axles.  I all ways keep a couple spares in the toolbox now. FYI...that clip does NOT come in the oe boot kits...separate part # !!  If any of y'all order a boot kit , I recommend you get the clip as well !!
Back to top Go down
Hump

Hump

cv joint rebuild Empty
PostSubject: Re: cv joint rebuild   cv joint rebuild Icon_minitimeMon Sep 02, 2013 12:49 pm

The quadboss kit comes with that new clip.  I forgot to mention that.
Back to top Go down
Hump

Hump

cv joint rebuild Empty
PostSubject: Re: cv joint rebuild   cv joint rebuild Icon_minitimeMon Sep 02, 2013 12:50 pm

ASPENDELL ROVER wrote:
you tube and amazon? did ya catch the justin bieber video too?
Unfortunately.  That little bastard is everywhere.Evil or Very Mad
Back to top Go down
ASPENDELLROVER

ASPENDELLROVER

cv joint rebuild Empty
PostSubject: Re: cv joint rebuild   cv joint rebuild Icon_minitimeMon Sep 02, 2013 1:25 pm

i hear ya, you can turn on the news out west and not hear about that little fucker, somethin is wrong in the world when a little prick has that much money and gets away with shit
Back to top Go down
Hump

Hump

cv joint rebuild Empty
PostSubject: Re: cv joint rebuild   cv joint rebuild Icon_minitimeSun Sep 08, 2013 3:32 pm

140 miles on the rebuild and still good.  That's 2 rides without messing up a cv boot, some kind of a record for me.
Back to top Go down
ASPENDELLROVER

ASPENDELLROVER

cv joint rebuild Empty
PostSubject: Re: cv joint rebuild   cv joint rebuild Icon_minitimeSun Sep 08, 2013 4:06 pm

FYI, I got a killer deal on Redline CV-2 synthetic grease on amazon. 4 14oz jars for 40bucks. only thing is ya gotta really clean all the old grease out
Back to top Go down
123.bert0621

123.bert0621

cv joint rebuild Empty
PostSubject: Re: cv joint rebuild   cv joint rebuild Icon_minitimeSun Sep 08, 2013 6:38 pm

Real good, I have been lucky to, tore three in two weeks now OK.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

cv joint rebuild Empty
PostSubject: Re: cv joint rebuild   cv joint rebuild Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

cv joint rebuild
Page 1 of 1