HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM

Yamaha Rhino

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Events  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Welcome to the forum!! also check us out at hotrodforums.net

Who is online?
In total there are 21 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 21 Guests :: 1 Bot

None

Most users ever online was 207 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:13 pm
Latest topics
» forum back open for posting
Differential and 4x4 wont disengage Icon_minitimeWed Aug 16, 2023 1:17 pm by RADICAL RAM

» rhino 660 hid visionx headlights for sale
Differential and 4x4 wont disengage Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 4:54 pm by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» New JBS Extreme sheave milling
Differential and 4x4 wont disengage Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 1:28 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» NEW FORUM!
Differential and 4x4 wont disengage Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 12:35 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
Differential and 4x4 wont disengage Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 11:01 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Forgot what the new sites name is?????
Differential and 4x4 wont disengage Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 10:59 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Truck picture thread.
Differential and 4x4 wont disengage Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 9:33 am by Tacoclaw

» go to new forum for tonight
Differential and 4x4 wont disengage Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:50 am by chuddly

» First rhino 09 450
Differential and 4x4 wont disengage Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:47 am by chuddly

Top posters
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Differential and 4x4 wont disengage Vote_lcapDifferential and 4x4 wont disengage Voting_barDifferential and 4x4 wont disengage Vote_rcap 
madmax 1
Differential and 4x4 wont disengage Vote_lcapDifferential and 4x4 wont disengage Voting_barDifferential and 4x4 wont disengage Vote_rcap 
REDRHINO64
ASPENDELLROVER
T.Rhino
123.bert0621
Firefighter
rhino727
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13
flimmy
Most Viewed Topics
Rhino 700 Electrical Problem - Solved!
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
NEW FORUM!
Sand Reeper
Hello hot rod forum
09 700 not charging when running
What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
go to new forum for tonight
Want Some Bigger Tires for the Rhino
How To Check Your Rhino 700 TPS
Most active topics
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
ALBA 734 Big Bore for 2011 Rhino 700
Picture Gallery
Truck picture thread.
What do you do for a living ?
New Yamaha SXS coming June 11 2013??.
EZ Steer Power Steering install
BUMPERS rhino.... evergoing build thread
Looking for a better holeshot
Show Your House/Compound
Top posting users this week
No user
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Differential and 4x4 wont disengage

Go down 
4 posters
AuthorMessage
Shevalik

Differential and 4x4 wont disengage Empty
PostSubject: Differential and 4x4 wont disengage   Differential and 4x4 wont disengage Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 8:12 pm

Went on a ride into town to get fuel.  Shut off the motor and it wouldn't start again.   To make a long story short the main ground vibrated loose and after re tightening it started right up.   Only problem is that for some reason the short made the 4x4 and locking differential engaged.   Neither button was pushed in.   When i push the buttons, i can hear something trying to engage but it just blows the fuse and nothing happens.   I tried to remove the housing (undid 3 larger 8mm screws)  but cant get the housing to come off the differential.  Not sure what to do at this point and dont want to take it to the stealership.  The service manual doesnt really seem to address this.   Anybody have this happen?   Any thoughts on how to fix?
Back to top Go down
123.bert0621

123.bert0621

PostSubject: Re: Differential and 4x4 wont disengage   Differential and 4x4 wont disengage Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 8:47 pm

I wonder if you were to use a couple of jumper wires to the motor one way then reverse to see if it moves and unsticks.
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

PostSubject: BEWARE   Differential and 4x4 wont disengage Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 9:06 pm

123.bert0621 wrote:
I wonder if you were to use a couple of jumper wires to the motor one way then reverse to see if it moves and unsticks.
Ummm, beware. I believe that the servomotor works with much less than 12 Volts DC. You risk burning the motor up if you do a simple jumper. I'm not absolutely sure on this, but better safe than sorry.
Back to top Go down
123.bert0621

123.bert0621

PostSubject: Re: Differential and 4x4 wont disengage   Differential and 4x4 wont disengage Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 9:11 pm

SteveS wrote:
123.bert0621 wrote:
Ummm, beware. I believe that the servomotor works with much less than 12 Volts DC. You risk burning the motor up if you do a simple jumper. I'm not absolutely sure on this, but better safe than sorry.
Better add a 5 amp fuse to that jumper then.
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

PostSubject: Re: Differential and 4x4 wont disengage   Differential and 4x4 wont disengage Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 9:54 pm

123.bert0621 wrote:
SteveS wrote:
123.bert0621 wrote:
Better add a 5 amp fuse to that jumper then.
It is a tiny little motor, I doubt it would handle 5 A. A smaller fuse maybe? It is risky business.

EDIT: Stock fuse for that circuit is 3 Amps. Also, the schematic shows shows 6 wires coming out of that 'motor', and 8 in and out wires involved with the switch itself, good luck.

Best bet at first is to check the function of that stock fuse and also the 2 relays involved in the circuit.
Back to top Go down
Shevalik

PostSubject: Re: Differential and 4x4 wont disengage   Differential and 4x4 wont disengage Icon_minitimeWed Aug 28, 2013 11:57 pm

The relays are clicking....feel like i will have to replace the servo mechanism but i cant even get it off the differential.   Is there more than 3bolts that i am seeing holding it in place?.   Do I have to disassemble the entire front end to service it?
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

PostSubject: Re: Differential and 4x4 wont disengage   Differential and 4x4 wont disengage Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 12:30 am

Shevalik wrote:
The relays are clicking....feel like i will have to replace the servo mechanism but i cant even get it off the differential.   Is there more than 3bolts that i am seeing holding it in place?.   Do I have to disassemble the entire front end to service it?
Look through the service manual again. There should be a section on taking it apart and putting it back together again. Pay close attention as to the positions things have to be in when you disassemble and re-assemble.
Back to top Go down
scottwv

PostSubject: Re: Differential and 4x4 wont disengage   Differential and 4x4 wont disengage Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 9:02 am

I think there's 4 bolts...one of them is one of those "tamper-resistant" type. I doubt you'll be able to jump it over.
Back to top Go down
scottwv

PostSubject: Re: Differential and 4x4 wont disengage   Differential and 4x4 wont disengage Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 9:03 am

There's a thread on the "other forum" ,  where a guy shows how to repair them.
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

PostSubject: Re: Differential and 4x4 wont disengage   Differential and 4x4 wont disengage Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 9:38 am

Shevalik wrote:
Went on a ride into town to get fuel.  Shut off the motor and it wouldn't start again.   To make a long story short the main ground vibrated loose and after re tightening it started right up.   Only problem is that for some reason the short made the 4x4 and locking differential engaged.   Neither button was pushed in.   When i push the buttons, i can hear something trying to engage but it just blows the fuse and nothing happens.   I tried to remove the housing (undid 3 larger 8mm screws)  but cant get the housing to come off the differential.  Not sure what to do at this point and dont want to take it to the stealership.  The service manual doesnt really seem to address this.   Anybody have this happen?   Any thoughts on how to fix?
Going back to the beginning of this thread....You say that the ground cable circuit opened up. Then you say that it was shorted out???? Was this the battery negative cable connection to the engine case? You would not have an open circuit and a shorted circuit at the same time and it would make a huge difference as to what might have happened.

Going on the assumption that the case ground cable circuit was open..... This sets up a situation where the act of turning the key to crank the engine causes the starter motor current draw to find a new path to the battery negative terminal. With the stock Rhino circuitry this means that the current flows through the battery negative pigtail ground wire. This is the small black wire, siamesed into the battery negative lug on the ground cable, which is connected to the wire harness daisy chain ground wire via a bullet connector quick connect, just behind the battery. The problem here is that all of that starter motor current is being fed through that wimpy wire harness grounding wire.

The first obvious thing that usually happens is that pigtail coming off of the battery negative terminal overheats big time. Check it for overheating, it can be melted down to the point that it is crispy crittered. The wire melt-down can also be elsewhere in the daisy chain ground as all of the weak points in the chain will overheat simultaneously. What you may have here is a loss of a ground connection that is critical to the function of the 4WD circuit circuitry.

Take a look around for overheated black wires and let us know if you see anything obvious.
Back to top Go down
Shevalik

PostSubject: Re: Differential and 4x4 wont disengage   Differential and 4x4 wont disengage Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 10:23 am

I'm at work right now but i will check for melted wires.   The cable that came loose is the larger black one that attaches to the motor on the passenger side towards the front of the motor.   I think a 10mm bolt holds it in place.   When it didnt start, it acted like when a battery runs low in a car.   Clicks, noises, all the indicator lights came on.  I took the engine cover off and luckily saw the arc when i hit the key, otherwise I would probably still be sitting at the gas station.   After I tightened the bolt, it started right up, only the difflock icon was on the display and red indicator light was on.   I drove it about 3 blocks to get it to my brothers house and off the street.   I will try to look in the manual to confirm the exact cable that came loose
Back to top Go down
Shevalik

PostSubject: Re: Differential and 4x4 wont disengage   Differential and 4x4 wont disengage Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 10:35 am

Just verified on the manual it is the ground lead.  Item#9 on page 2-39
Back to top Go down
Shevalik

PostSubject: Re: Differential and 4x4 wont disengage   Differential and 4x4 wont disengage Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 10:37 am

I dont guess short is the correct word.   It came loose and did not have a solid connection.
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

PostSubject: Re: Differential and 4x4 wont disengage   Differential and 4x4 wont disengage Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 10:39 am

Shevalik wrote:
I'm at work right now but i will check for melted wires.   The cable that came loose is the larger black one that attaches to the motor on the passenger side towards the front of the motor.   I think a 10mm bolt holds it in place.   When it didnt start, it acted like when a battery runs low in a car.   Clicks, noises, all the indicator lights came on.  I took the engine cover off and luckily saw the arc when i hit the key, otherwise I would probably still be sitting at the gas station.   After I tightened the bolt, it started right up, only the difflock icon was on the display and red indicator light was on.   I drove it about 3 blocks to get it to my brothers house and off the street.   I will try to look in the manual to confirm the exact cable that came loose
From your description, yes that is the cable and the spot that I was talking about. It seems to be a fairly common thing with these Rhinos. There is a good chance that your 4WD problem is ground failure related then. That excess current flow can take out a critical grounding connection just about anywhere, the trick may be finding it.

Here is a thread (there are more to be found as well) that goes into the proper fix so that the ground connection loosening up does not cause any damage. There are graphic pictures of badly burnt wires and the like, fair warning if you have a weak stomach pale   Laughing
https://hotrodrhinoforums.forumotion.com/t1104-improve-your-grounding

Last edited by SteveS on Thu Aug 29, 2013 8:13 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
123.bert0621

123.bert0621

PostSubject: Re: Differential and 4x4 wont disengage   Differential and 4x4 wont disengage Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 1:51 pm

https://hotrodrhinoforums.forumotion.com/t1490-grounding-accessories
MAKE YOUR GROUNDS ON BARE METAL,NO PAINT OR RUST AND THROW ON A STAR WASHER WITH LOTS OF DIELECTRIC COMPOUND.
Back to top Go down
Shevalik

PostSubject: Re: Differential and 4x4 wont disengage   Differential and 4x4 wont disengage Icon_minitimeThu Aug 29, 2013 6:48 pm

My brother was able to get the servo motor out and test it.  It was bad.   Things could be worse, but it sure does seem like my rebuild is taking forever to get the bugs 100% worked out. Hahahaha.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Differential and 4x4 wont disengage   Differential and 4x4 wont disengage Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Differential and 4x4 wont disengage
Page 1 of 1