HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM

Yamaha Rhino

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Events  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Welcome to the forum!! also check us out at hotrodforums.net

Who is online?
In total there are 38 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 38 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 207 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:13 pm
Latest topics
» forum back open for posting
Teryx shock install Icon_minitimeWed Aug 16, 2023 1:17 pm by RADICAL RAM

» rhino 660 hid visionx headlights for sale
Teryx shock install Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 4:54 pm by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» New JBS Extreme sheave milling
Teryx shock install Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 1:28 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» NEW FORUM!
Teryx shock install Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 12:35 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
Teryx shock install Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 11:01 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Forgot what the new sites name is?????
Teryx shock install Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 10:59 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Truck picture thread.
Teryx shock install Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 9:33 am by Tacoclaw

» go to new forum for tonight
Teryx shock install Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:50 am by chuddly

» First rhino 09 450
Teryx shock install Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:47 am by chuddly

Top posters
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Teryx shock install Vote_lcapTeryx shock install Voting_barTeryx shock install Vote_rcap 
madmax 1
Teryx shock install Vote_lcapTeryx shock install Voting_barTeryx shock install Vote_rcap 
REDRHINO64
ASPENDELLROVER
T.Rhino
123.bert0621
Firefighter
rhino727
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13
flimmy
Most Viewed Topics
Rhino 700 Electrical Problem - Solved!
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
NEW FORUM!
Sand Reeper
Hello hot rod forum
09 700 not charging when running
What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
go to new forum for tonight
Want Some Bigger Tires for the Rhino
How To Check Your Rhino 700 TPS
Most active topics
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
ALBA 734 Big Bore for 2011 Rhino 700
Picture Gallery
Truck picture thread.
What do you do for a living ?
New Yamaha SXS coming June 11 2013??.
EZ Steer Power Steering install
BUMPERS rhino.... evergoing build thread
Looking for a better holeshot
Show Your House/Compound
Top posting users this week
No user
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Teryx shock install

Go down 
+7
thePayne
vbryan00
123.bert0621
09-rhino700
REDRHINO64
ASPENDELLROVER
rhinopolice
11 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
rhinopolice

rhinopolice

Teryx shock install Empty
PostSubject: Teryx shock install   Teryx shock install Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 11:35 am

Hey guys,

Well since I put the rear cage on, I have noticed that she is a smidge lower in the rear. So, I bought some Teryx shocks and tackled the install.

The fronts are cake. Direct replacement. Gave me about 2" in lift.

Then the rears........

My uncle owns a machine shop, so I had him lathe down the bushings for the bottom:

Teryx shock install Bushing_zpsf486dee5

Teryx shock install Bushingside_zpsec3325b4

He milled down a little too much, so I shimmed it over with a washer. No Worries.

I took the bolt head and made it into a carriage bolt. I also flattened one part to be able to tighten it down.

Teryx shock install Bolt_zps66ee3029

I also ground down a bit of the shock housing to give me more clearance to the axle. It wasn't much though.

Teryx shock install Tolerance_zps11f0dc54

So, the outcome.....

2" lift in front
1.75ish " lift in rear

Ride is definitely stiffer, body roll is significantly decreased. I like it though.

Cheap mod and worked well.

Just wanted to share.
Back to top Go down
ASPENDELLROVER

ASPENDELLROVER

PostSubject: Re: Teryx shock install   Teryx shock install Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 1:17 pm

nice work
Back to top Go down
REDRHINO64

REDRHINO64

PostSubject: Re: Teryx shock install   Teryx shock install Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 3:27 pm

cool!!
Back to top Go down
09-rhino700

09-rhino700

PostSubject: Re: Teryx shock install   Teryx shock install Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 8:42 pm

just did mine too,  it's great  give them 100  miles they will loosen up  :-)
Back to top Go down
123.bert0621

123.bert0621

PostSubject: Re: Teryx shock install   Teryx shock install Icon_minitimeSun Sep 01, 2013 11:55 pm

Great mod.
Back to top Go down
rhinopolice

rhinopolice

PostSubject: Re: Teryx shock install   Teryx shock install Icon_minitimeMon Sep 02, 2013 12:56 am

Thanks guys!
Back to top Go down
vbryan00

vbryan00

PostSubject: Re: Teryx shock install   Teryx shock install Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 1:40 pm

Just want to ask why the rears have to be run upside down? I am looking a getting a set but am curious why they cannot be run conventional position. So I am just doing my research.
Back to top Go down
thePayne

thePayne

PostSubject: Re: Teryx shock install   Teryx shock install Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 2:24 pm

vbryan00 wrote:
Just want to ask why the rears have to be run upside down? I am looking a getting a set but am curious why they cannot be run conventional position. So I am just doing my research.
Pokahpolice been running them for a while but here is some information he posted about Teryxs shocks.

Pokahpolice

Teryx shock install 10-56

Teryx shock install EmptySubject: Re: Teryx shocks??   Teryx shock install Icon_minitimeMon Apr 15, 2013 8:39 amTeryx shock install Icon_multiquote_off_en Teryx shock install Icon_quote_en

The Teryx shocks are a great addition. BUT and there is a big but, you need to install them correctly or you'll spend a fortune on replacing CVs and snapped axles.

1.) The fronts will bolt on. No mods no problems.

2.) Flip the rears upsidedown. The bushings are to wide so you'll need to grind them down to fit. HINT - grind the bushings closest to the tire as much as possible and the bushing closest to diff as little as possible. This will pull the resi on the shock away from the axle and keep it from rubbing.

3.) Give it hell to get it in the mount. I had to grind some of the shock body to get it to fit...it's not an easy task.

4.) The bottom mount bolt on the passenger side will hit the axle at full extension. DO NOT ignore this problem!!! Figure out a solution. Some guys are finding bolts with smaller heads that clear the axle. I cut the bolt and welded a flat washer on the end I cut off. Then used an impact to tighten.

5.) If you have to compress the shock to get the axle back in place, you have too much travel for the CVs and they WILL grenade. You should be able to get everything back together without trouble. Like I said if you can't because the bolts on the spindles won't line up with the axle in place...STOP. You'll either need CVs that can handle the extension of the shocks or you'll need to install limit straps. I found that the stock CVs are fine but I had cheap aftermarket axles and CVs that couldn't handle the lift.

This all sounds like a lot but they are a great option for someone on a budget. I love the shocks and I love the lift they provide. I have 13.5 inches of clearance to the rear hitch and 14inches everywhere else.
Back to top Go down
vbryan00

vbryan00

PostSubject: Re: Teryx shock install   Teryx shock install Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 2:39 pm

Ok, well I just committed to a brand new set of takeoffs so here goes nothing.
Back to top Go down
thePayne

thePayne

PostSubject: Re: Teryx shock install   Teryx shock install Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 2:40 pm

take your time and I am sure if you don't find the information you need on here the guys will be happy to call and talk to you about it they are a A+++ group of guys!!
Back to top Go down
vbryan00

vbryan00

PostSubject: Re: Teryx shock install   Teryx shock install Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 3:45 pm

Not worried about the fab work worked in a machine shop for several years so I learned quite alot
Back to top Go down
Pokahpolice

Pokahpolice

PostSubject: Re: Teryx shock install   Teryx shock install Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 7:54 pm

Great upgrade for the price. To answer your question, they can't be installed right side up because the lower shock mount in the A-arm is to thin for the shock body. There really isn't a way to mount them right side up without prefabricating new mounts.
Back to top Go down
vbryan00

vbryan00

PostSubject: Re: Teryx shock install   Teryx shock install Icon_minitimeMon Nov 04, 2013 8:43 pm

Thanks that will give me something to look into. If I'm going to havt to make modifications to the shock might be easier to fan new mounts
Back to top Go down
Pokahpolice

Pokahpolice

PostSubject: Re: Teryx shock install   Teryx shock install Icon_minitimeTue Nov 05, 2013 9:53 am

When you first install them they are SUPER stiff. You're going to be riding a pogo stick. Give it about 100-200 miles and you'll love them.
Back to top Go down
vbryan00

vbryan00

PostSubject: Re: Teryx shock install   Teryx shock install Icon_minitimeTue Nov 05, 2013 10:28 am

We don't get o go out on the trails as much as we would like but since I use mine to work around the house mainly hauling wood. hopefully they will break in fairly quick.
Back to top Go down
thekevin

thekevin

PostSubject: Re: Teryx shock install   Teryx shock install Icon_minitimeTue Nov 05, 2013 12:32 pm

What adjustments do the teryx shocks have.  Do they have rebound and compression.
Back to top Go down
vbryan00

vbryan00

PostSubject: Re: Teryx shock install   Teryx shock install Icon_minitimeWed Nov 06, 2013 2:06 pm

has anyone experienced any axle or CV joint problems with Teryx shocks
Back to top Go down
vbryan00

vbryan00

PostSubject: Re: Teryx shock install   Teryx shock install Icon_minitimeThu Nov 07, 2013 10:29 am

Well I put the fronts on last night and it really is stiff. You would not think that with only about 200lbs diff in weight between the Teryx and Rhino it would be so extreme. The set of shocks I bought only had resi rears, front are conventional. Will work on the rears on my day off.
Back to top Go down
vbryan00

vbryan00

PostSubject: Re: Teryx shock install   Teryx shock install Icon_minitimeFri Nov 08, 2013 9:49 pm

Well I have been fighting with the rears today and I can not get the pass rear to work without tearing the outer boot off. The suspension is fully extended with the shocks on and the best solution I have come up with is to fab new upper mounts. Any Ideas? The right rear axle is a gorilla, might be the problem?
Back to top Go down
UnderDawg

UnderDawg

PostSubject: Re: Teryx shock install   Teryx shock install Icon_minitimeSat Nov 09, 2013 1:11 am

can ya post up some pics for us to see the problem?
Back to top Go down
vbryan00

vbryan00

PostSubject: Re: Teryx shock install   Teryx shock install Icon_minitimeSat Nov 09, 2013 8:47 am

I ground the bolt head down as suggested, but it is the actual shock mount that is hitting. And I do not want to put it on the trail like this and when the suspension hits full droop have the boot tear off or worse. Here are some pics of it , shock is fully extended and as you can see the mount is hitting the axle.
[size=18]

Teryx shock install Img_2014

Teryx shock install Img_2015

Teryx shock install Img_2016
Back to top Go down
UnderDawg

UnderDawg

PostSubject: Re: Teryx shock install   Teryx shock install Icon_minitimeSat Nov 09, 2013 10:57 am

I seem to remember reading of others having problems running gorilla axles with these shocks....
but you might have some other issue like a bent A-arm.
Back to top Go down
Pokahpolice

Pokahpolice

PostSubject: Re: Teryx shock install   Teryx shock install Icon_minitimeSat Nov 09, 2013 12:13 pm

The easiest solution is limit straps. They only cost about $30 and will limit the extension of the shocks so they can't extend to the point where it bottoms out on the mount. I think Gorilla axles are thicker than stock axles which is why you are hitting...but that's just an assumption.
Back to top Go down
vbryan00

vbryan00

PostSubject: Re: Teryx shock install   Teryx shock install Icon_minitimeSat Nov 09, 2013 1:19 pm

Well I have too much to do today so back on with the blown shocks till I get time to sort it out. Thanks for the feedback
Back to top Go down
clembone

PostSubject: Re: Teryx shock install   Teryx shock install Icon_minitimeTue Nov 12, 2013 2:31 pm

What are the benifits of these shocks?  I am interested in upgrading my suspension for a better smoother ride?  Do these make it smoother and handle better or they just more heavy duty.  thanks for the info.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Teryx shock install   Teryx shock install Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Teryx shock install
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next