HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM

Yamaha Rhino

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Events  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Welcome to the forum!! also check us out at hotrodforums.net

Who is online?
In total there are 37 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 37 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 207 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:13 pm
Latest topics
» forum back open for posting
Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help Icon_minitimeWed Aug 16, 2023 1:17 pm by RADICAL RAM

» rhino 660 hid visionx headlights for sale
Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 4:54 pm by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» New JBS Extreme sheave milling
Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 1:28 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» NEW FORUM!
Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 12:35 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 11:01 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Forgot what the new sites name is?????
Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 10:59 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Truck picture thread.
Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 9:33 am by Tacoclaw

» go to new forum for tonight
Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:50 am by chuddly

» First rhino 09 450
Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:47 am by chuddly

Top posters
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help Vote_lcapInstalled JBS Sheave - Need Help Voting_barInstalled JBS Sheave - Need Help Vote_rcap 
madmax 1
Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help Vote_lcapInstalled JBS Sheave - Need Help Voting_barInstalled JBS Sheave - Need Help Vote_rcap 
REDRHINO64
ASPENDELLROVER
T.Rhino
123.bert0621
Firefighter
rhino727
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13
flimmy
Most Viewed Topics
Rhino 700 Electrical Problem - Solved!
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
NEW FORUM!
Sand Reeper
Hello hot rod forum
09 700 not charging when running
What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
go to new forum for tonight
Want Some Bigger Tires for the Rhino
How To Check Your Rhino 700 TPS
Most active topics
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
ALBA 734 Big Bore for 2011 Rhino 700
Picture Gallery
Truck picture thread.
What do you do for a living ?
New Yamaha SXS coming June 11 2013??.
EZ Steer Power Steering install
BUMPERS rhino.... evergoing build thread
Looking for a better holeshot
Show Your House/Compound
Top posting users this week
No user
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help

Go down 
+17
09-rhino700
ChrisH
WV Hot Rod Rhino
m1n1ster
varmint10
RHINOMOON
banchee6
Junglerider
honda450sfm
madmax 1
Hump
scottwv
ASPENDELLROVER
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13
T.Rhino
rhino727
defstar
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
AuthorMessage
defstar

defstar

Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help Empty
PostSubject: Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help   Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 8:01 pm

Hey guys...I hate that my first post comes in this manner but I need some help from James and crew...

I have a 2009 Rhino 700...I ordered and installed the Hot Rod Sheave with 18G weights and a gold secondary spring...I went ahead used yamalube Ultramatic grease in the sheave since my riding will be in dusty & wet muddy conditions...I watched all the youtube videos James posted for installation (which btw were awesome)...

But now since the install I can't really tell much difference in the lower end (everyone has always said it gives the Rhino great low end) which is my main reason for getting this setup...also I can now reach speeds of 49 MPH...but once I get to 40 the acceleration from 40 to 49 isn't smooth at all...my Rhino has several hesitations from 40 to 49 like the rev limiter is trying to kick in...

Also today I went riding with my brother who has a stock 2012 Rhino 700...both of us have stock tires...we switched bikes while doing some hill climbs in 4WD locked...both machines felt the same power-wise...we also did a couple drag races of 250 to 300'...he beat me by a link each time...

Now is all of the above what I should be getting out of this new setup?...something sounds like it isn't right to me...I've pulled the sheave back off and checked the weights and all are still as they should be...none have flipped...

Any input guys?...thanks...
Back to top Go down
rhino727

rhino727

PostSubject: Re: Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help   Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 8:27 pm

take a few pics , how did the cam plate sliders feel , are you sure the weights are in correct , make sure no grease on face of sheave , just a few thoughts that might help.....have you spoke with James about it, sure he will help
Back to top Go down
defstar

defstar

PostSubject: Re: Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help   Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 8:47 pm

I'll try to get some pictures...there was for sure no grease on the face...but I can say that I definitely smelled the grease heating up from inside the exhaust tube when riding around...and after removing the sheave to inspect the weights all the grease was out against the inner wall of the sheave...almost none was left on the weights...is that normal?...also I did run the sheave cover plate w/o-ring during this ride...was I suppose to run that or leave it off?...I did see that James didn't have the cover on when he was installing the primary sheave in his video...

I tried calling James this morning but no answer...figured he's probably out riding like the rest of us... Dancing Banana 

That's when I decided to post...it would be a lot to explain over the phone anyway...
Back to top Go down
T.Rhino

T.Rhino

PostSubject: Re: Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help   Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 9:43 pm

He is on a 4th of July ride and don't thank he will be back till Monday. The video you are talking about is the the before he went back to using grease I thank and yes if you installed it back with grease all of it should have went back on just like before you changed it out did you notice grease missing ? Sounds like you could have been putting grease out onto your belt.
Back to top Go down
defstar

defstar

PostSubject: Re: Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help   Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 10:58 pm

No grease missing...both belt and faces were clean and dry...
Back to top Go down
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

PostSubject: Re: Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help   Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 11:11 pm

defstar wrote:
I'll try to get some pictures...there was for sure no grease on the face...but I can say that I definitely smelled the grease heating up from inside the exhaust tube when riding around...and after removing the sheave to inspect the weights all the grease was out against the inner wall of the sheave...almost none was left on the weights...is that normal?...also I did run the sheave cover plate w/o-ring during this ride...was I suppose to run that or leave it off?...I did see that James didn't have the cover on when he was installing the primary sheave in his video...

I tried calling James this morning but no answer...figured he's probably out riding like the rest of us... Dancing Banana 

That's when I decided to post...it would be a lot to explain over the phone anyway...

The gasket needs to be in when running grease if I understand what you're asking. Make sure no weights are flipped over, sounds like the symptoms you're having.
Back to top Go down
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

PostSubject: Re: Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help   Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 11:13 pm

If you want low end maybe 16's would be better.
Back to top Go down
ASPENDELLROVER

ASPENDELLROVER

PostSubject: Re: Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help   Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help Icon_minitimeSat Jul 06, 2013 11:28 pm

with all due respect, almost every time someone has an issue with the JBS sheave install, it is an install error, i.e. roller weight, camplate splines not on shaft, etc. not at all typical results. my LT family comfort ride kicks ass at 50mph and tons of low end, so you must have a problem son. pics help here on the forum
Back to top Go down
scottwv

PostSubject: Re: Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help   Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 9:41 am

CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13 wrote:

16's won't help , unless he has a cam (tried them myself , before doing the cam)...and...ya lose the "wow" feeling from take-off. I ran 17's for a long time (16's and 18's staggered) , I liked that set-up really well. Just 16's were quicker ; but , my top speed was slower. From what he is saying , I don't think it is a 16/18g issue...something on the install isn't right.
Back to top Go down
Hump

Hump

PostSubject: Re: Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help   Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 10:04 am

Something isn't right.  You should have quicker reving, more powerful upshifting bigtime as soon as the wet clutch engages.  Should rev a little more, and have noticeably more power on the bottom and top.

The 1st couple of times you have that apart, it's very easy to not quite get the camplate on the splines of the shaft.  It will tighten right up and everything will look good.  It's tricky to get it all on there right, and make sure it doesn't move while you put the nut on.

You could have other issues.  Try your stuff in your friends 2012 and see how it runs.
Back to top Go down
madmax 1

madmax 1

PostSubject: Re: Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help   Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 10:26 am

i'd talk to james before I jump into anything could be a simple install problem
Back to top Go down
honda450sfm

honda450sfm

PostSubject: Re: Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help   Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 10:40 am

There is a possibility that your cam plate sliders are upside down
 Seen this on another install at causes the camplate to stick
I would definitely take it back apart and make sure all the weights are in properly and the camplate sliders are in properly
Back to top Go down
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

PostSubject: Re: Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help   Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 2:47 pm

scottwv wrote:
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13 wrote:

16's won't help , unless he has a cam  (tried them myself , before doing the cam)...and...ya lose the "wow" feeling from take-off.  I ran 17's for  a long time  (16's and 18's staggered) , I liked that set-up really well.  Just 16's were quicker ; but , my top speed was slower.  From what he is saying ,  I don't think it is a 16/18g issue...something on the install isn't right.  

Just when I thought I had it figured out. lol!
Back to top Go down
Junglerider

Junglerider

PostSubject: Re: Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help   Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 4:44 pm

Could be Gold spring is too stiff for a stock bike. Try your original spring and see if it helps.
Back to top Go down
http://www.jungleatv.com
banchee6

banchee6

PostSubject: Re: Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help   Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 6:29 pm

my first set up was the same but I did have 28's.  I agree that maybe the gold spring it so stiff for those smaller tires....  I know I had plenty of tire spin and hit 48 mph with a little room but it got there....  if the weights aren't flipped and the cam plate is good and free sliding then idk... And yes, the o-ring needs to be reinstalled on the cam plate.. it holds the grease inside too

Oh, did you shave the spring ends??? look at that video as well... I can see where that could be an issue on some bikes cause mine was tight before I installed it
Back to top Go down
ASPENDELLROVER

ASPENDELLROVER

PostSubject: Re: Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help   Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 6:35 pm

Junglerider wrote:
Could be Gold spring is too stiff for a stock bike. Try your original spring and see if it helps.

I don't think thats it, I run gold spring, with 16's on a stock bike and hit 50 all day and tons of low end, but you will prolly get more top speed with a stock spring...IMO
Back to top Go down
defstar

defstar

PostSubject: Re: Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help   Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 9:02 pm

Ok guys I have taken some pictures of how my sheave looks as of now...as stated above I removed it to check for weight flop...what is the easiest way to post the pictures?...do I need an image host or can I upload from my hard drive?...

Last edited by defstar on Sun Jul 07, 2013 9:26 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
banchee6

banchee6

PostSubject: Re: Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help   Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 9:16 pm

photobucket...
Back to top Go down
defstar

defstar

PostSubject: Re: Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help   Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 9:36 pm

Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help 001

Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help 002
Back to top Go down
defstar

defstar

PostSubject: Re: Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help   Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 9:38 pm

Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help 003

Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help 004
Back to top Go down
defstar

defstar

PostSubject: Re: Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help   Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 9:40 pm

Pictures uploaded... cheers
Back to top Go down
RHINOMOON

RHINOMOON

PostSubject: Re: Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help   Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 10:09 pm

id say. make sure the camplate slides up and down freely, and throw on your stock seconadry spring n giver a shot.
Back to top Go down
varmint10

PostSubject: Re: Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help   Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 11:18 pm

Make sure that you are installing the washer under the nut that holds on the primary.
Back to top Go down
defstar

defstar

PostSubject: Re: Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help   Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 11:31 pm

Everything seems to slide just fine...and the washer was installed...I was hoping something was installed incorrectly but I can't see what if anything...and my bike is bone stock other than this sheave setup...banchee6 mentioned above that the spring needed to be shaved...I didnt do anything to the gold spring just installed as is...could this be my problem?...
Back to top Go down
ASPENDELLROVER

ASPENDELLROVER

PostSubject: Re: Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help   Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help Icon_minitimeSun Jul 07, 2013 11:44 pm

wish I could help bro, mine kicks ass as a stock bike with LT. I had a HW sheave then went to a JBS and you would have thought I had NOS..lol
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help   Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Installed JBS Sheave - Need Help
Page 1 of 4Go to page : 1, 2, 3, 4  Next