HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM

Yamaha Rhino

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Events  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Welcome to the forum!! also check us out at hotrodforums.net

Who is online?
In total there are 35 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 35 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 207 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:13 pm
Latest topics
» forum back open for posting
Battery upgrade  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 16, 2023 1:17 pm by RADICAL RAM

» rhino 660 hid visionx headlights for sale
Battery upgrade  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 4:54 pm by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» New JBS Extreme sheave milling
Battery upgrade  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 1:28 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» NEW FORUM!
Battery upgrade  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 12:35 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
Battery upgrade  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 11:01 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Forgot what the new sites name is?????
Battery upgrade  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 10:59 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Truck picture thread.
Battery upgrade  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 9:33 am by Tacoclaw

» go to new forum for tonight
Battery upgrade  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:50 am by chuddly

» First rhino 09 450
Battery upgrade  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:47 am by chuddly

Top posters
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Battery upgrade  - Page 2 Vote_lcapBattery upgrade  - Page 2 Voting_barBattery upgrade  - Page 2 Vote_rcap 
madmax 1
Battery upgrade  - Page 2 Vote_lcapBattery upgrade  - Page 2 Voting_barBattery upgrade  - Page 2 Vote_rcap 
REDRHINO64
ASPENDELLROVER
T.Rhino
123.bert0621
Firefighter
rhino727
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13
flimmy
Most Viewed Topics
Rhino 700 Electrical Problem - Solved!
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
NEW FORUM!
Sand Reeper
Hello hot rod forum
09 700 not charging when running
What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
go to new forum for tonight
Want Some Bigger Tires for the Rhino
How To Check Your Rhino 700 TPS
Most active topics
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
ALBA 734 Big Bore for 2011 Rhino 700
Picture Gallery
Truck picture thread.
What do you do for a living ?
New Yamaha SXS coming June 11 2013??.
EZ Steer Power Steering install
BUMPERS rhino.... evergoing build thread
Looking for a better holeshot
Show Your House/Compound
Top posting users this week
No user
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Battery upgrade

Go down 
+19
rhino727
UnderDawg
Snorider
meats
chuddly
RhinoGT350
KJrhino
flimmy
madmax 1
SteveS
Kenny G
T.Rhino
ASPENDELLROVER
JBFIREMAN
Quadog
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13
Firefighter
WV Hot Rod Rhino
banchee6
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next
AuthorMessage
banchee6

banchee6

Battery upgrade  - Page 2 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery upgrade    Battery upgrade  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 9:41 pm

Wow!!!!!!!!!!!!! That went crazy.... I am still on my stock battery from 09... No issues but with the added 400w am coming soon i just dont want to run into issues on the trail..... I like to jam my radio when we have a group together or when i wanna show off... LOL

I looked at the odyssey batteries.... and i think that will be my first option if needed... Ill try the stocker and see if she holds up... But, ill bring jumper cables with me.........

Thanks for the info.....
Back to top Go down
flimmy

flimmy

PostSubject: Re: Battery upgrade    Battery upgrade  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 9:45 pm

I run a car battery under the seat and extended the cables. So far so good.
Back to top Go down
http://www.trailbrightled.com
banchee6

banchee6

PostSubject: Re: Battery upgrade    Battery upgrade  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 9:48 pm

i wouldnt mind buying an optima and using just that.... i dont know if the stator can keep that up tho and i dont want to screw up my new stator.....
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

PostSubject: Re: Battery upgrade    Battery upgrade  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 10:31 pm

banchee6 wrote:
............ I like to jam my radio when we have a group together or when i wanna show off... LOL
I looked at the odyssey batteries.... and i think that will be my first option if needed... Ill try the stocker and see if she holds up... But, ill bring jumper cables with me......... .

Dual batteries are the answer for that kind of situation. Run the GettoBlaster off of the auxilliary battery and if that goes dead, then you just have to quit showing off, eh? Laughing Your primary battery will not be affected and will get you home. A deep cycle design battery is more suited for that kind of heavy discharge cycling and will live much longer under that kind of 'abuse'.

You will want to beef up your wire harness grounding if you are going to add that much aux loading, especially if you run that thing off of the stock battery. Get your battery negative terminal grounded to the frame, or the engine case grounded to the frame, with a heavy ground wire (at least 12 ga, 10 ga better). There is a good possibility that the puny stock ground pigtail coning off of the battery negative terminal, and going into the wire harness, will melt down with that additional load.

The safest way to run dual batteries is with a 'Voltage Sensing Relay' module (battery 'separator') to eliminate the circuit path between the batteries unless the batteries are actually being charged. Steer away from any 'battery isolator', which is the common name for a diode isolator (3 large power terminals), which have a significant voltage loss and require cutting of a stock wire. The VSR separator has only 2 large power terminals and just wires in with no modification to any stock wiring.

Separator wiring diagram: Battery upgrade  - Page 2 Separatorwiring

!solator wiring diagram: Battery upgrade  - Page 2 Isolatorwiringem8
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

PostSubject: Re: Battery upgrade    Battery upgrade  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 01, 2013 10:46 pm

banchee6 wrote:
i wouldnt mind buying an optima and using just that.... i dont know if the stator can keep that up tho and i dont want to screw up my new stator.....

That is a really good question. An alternator (stator and rotating magnets working together) should be designed such that the voltage droops with current draw and simply 'runs out of steam' before the coils overheat. You will see the output voltage droop below the voltage needed to charge a battery if the battery demands too much current to charge at that rate. It then just takes longer to charge the battery. The older 660 stators seem like they had fewer failures than the newer 700 stators (??). I'm sort of wondering if they put bigger magnets into the rotor without up-sizing up the coils to match, in order to boost the output.. That would be a recipe for overheating and burning up coils.

There are also quality issues that might be plaguing the stators. As an example, the coils are varnished to prevent the turns from shorting out with each other. If the varnish is less heat resistant or thinner in spots, it leads to a shorted turn which will immediately burn up the coil. Just speculating here. It seems to be the luck of the draw.
Back to top Go down
banchee6

banchee6

PostSubject: Re: Battery upgrade    Battery upgrade  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 8:48 am

We have a few people running a deep cycle battery in parallel with the stock battery. Sticking it under the seat. So far no issues. Hopefully it works. I'm going to try something. Just don't know what yet. And I can't loose the "ghetto blaster". Lmao
Back to top Go down
KJrhino

KJrhino

PostSubject: Re: Battery upgrade    Battery upgrade  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 2:48 pm

I keep mine on a battery tender I believe it's the original from 08 I will keep and eye on it I have four or five batteries on. Monthly charge schedule just to be safe or if I'm out wrenching and feel like a good charge...
Back to top Go down
madmax 1

madmax 1

PostSubject: Re: Battery upgrade    Battery upgrade  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue Apr 02, 2013 7:36 pm

i have run optimas in my trucks for years they are pricey but you get what you pay for, really thinking about the sure power isolator now
Back to top Go down
RhinoGT350

RhinoGT350

PostSubject: Re: Battery upgrade    Battery upgrade  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 5:24 am

i wanted to duel batteries but i carry a 350 am jump pack for jumping it if i need too. but i think i might need too now, i just added 2 HID 4" lights along with 2 6 inch LED light. but i do like alot of lighting for night rides.
Back to top Go down
chuddly

chuddly

PostSubject: Re: Battery upgrade    Battery upgrade  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 7:42 am

I used a car battery and built brackets to put it in the front end between the frame rails. Works great
Back to top Go down
meats

meats

PostSubject: Re: Battery upgrade    Battery upgrade  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 9:01 am

is that all you run is a car battery. i has been thinking of doing the same for awhile but havnt done it yet, could you put a pic of how you did it. thanks
Back to top Go down
chuddly

chuddly

PostSubject: Re: Battery upgrade    Battery upgrade  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 10:22 am

No im running the factory battery plus the car battery. here is a link to the build thread i did on it.
Dual Battery Install
Back to top Go down
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13

PostSubject: Re: Battery upgrade    Battery upgrade  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeMon Apr 29, 2013 10:39 am

I'm thinking about doing that also.
Back to top Go down
Snorider

PostSubject: Re: Battery upgrade    Battery upgrade  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeTue May 14, 2013 11:06 pm

CustomizedRhino13 wrote:
SteveS wrote:
Firefighter wrote:
CustomizedRhino13 wrote:
madmax 1 wrote:
i run dual batts without an isolator, 3years with no problems
Good info!
You can run dual batteries without an isolator. People do it every day. Just be careful when one of them goes bad. The bad battery can cause the good battery to discharge at an explosive rate !!! And if this happens, do NOT try to pull the cable off with Your bare hand ! It can scar for life.

Agreed. I actually had this happen to my diesel pickup with a paralleled battery stock setup. The only way you can stop this is to disconnect one of the cables from the battery that is not spewing it's guts out. And, yes, the cables get very hot! It is a scarey thing when it is happening.
My dads duramax battery's went out about 2 years ago, luckily no problems on reinstalling them, now that I read this we would have had to find out the hard way.

just food for thought, on all chevys, they were made for a true maintenance free battery(no way to check fluid levels) so when replacing batteries either go optima or the stock battery or another closed cell true maintenance free battery. expensive yes, but the pickups are set up to charge these style of batteries(which require the higher charging rate than open cell batteries.) one reason side posts get a bad name for corrosion is cause most people won't put the correct battery back in due to costs and this in turn will boil the battery and corrode the battery connections and wires under the insulation. So if you want to save some troubles down the line.
Back to top Go down
banchee6

banchee6

PostSubject: Re: Battery upgrade    Battery upgrade  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 9:55 am

the stock charging system isnt strong enough to charge the larger batteries.... Yes they would be an awesome upgrade and well worth the extra money, but you will be replacing stators once a year probably.... I am building an extra battery box for the drivers side under the hood and going to house a battery in there as well,,,, Just to help out with the other one and hopefully i dont trash the stator in the process..
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

PostSubject: Re: Battery upgrade    Battery upgrade  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 10:24 am

banchee6 wrote:
the stock charging system isnt strong enough to charge the larger batteries.... Yes they would be an awesome upgrade and well worth the extra money, but you will be replacing stators once a year probably.... I am building an extra battery box for the drivers side under the hood and going to house a battery in there as well,,,, Just to help out with the other one and hopefully i dont trash the stator in the process..

On the subject of overloading the stator: For what it is worth, when the charging voltage droops to where the voltage is too low to actually charge both of the batteries, the Voltage Sensing Relay (separator) will disconnect. What happens then is that all of the available charging current is available to the primary battery, and the loads that are attached to the primary circuitry, only. The auxiliary battery and it's loads are left to fend for themselves without any charging. This is no worse than the stator load that would have happened with a single battery setup.
Back to top Go down
banchee6

banchee6

PostSubject: Re: Battery upgrade    Battery upgrade  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 10:43 am

so if i run two identical battery styles in there and hook both batteries together, the charging system wont go boom????
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

PostSubject: Re: Battery upgrade    Battery upgrade  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 11:00 am

banchee6 wrote:
so if i run two identical battery styles in there and hook both batteries together, the charging system wont go boom????

If you simply connect the batteries in parallel, the charging system still sees the full load on everything. I was simply pointing out the load disconnect that a VSR (battery separator) affords. I suspect that the stator simply goes boom when it feels like it anyway.

The greatest load that the charging system could possibly see would be when running a winch at full load, with the engine running revved up to help. I don't recall ever seeing anyone ever posting that as a cause of a stator burning up.

Last edited by SteveS on Thu May 16, 2013 11:35 am; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
banchee6

banchee6

PostSubject: Re: Battery upgrade    Battery upgrade  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeThu May 16, 2013 11:14 am

Good to know. Thanks for the help.
Back to top Go down
banchee6

banchee6

PostSubject: Re: Battery upgrade    Battery upgrade  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2013 6:19 pm

ok, i just re read the whole thing and you are saying with the disconnect or seperator.... Well what if i dont run that seperator and just hook them up parrallel????

Reason being is that i dont know if the seperator can handle being under water
Back to top Go down
Snorider

PostSubject: Re: Battery upgrade    Battery upgrade  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2013 7:35 pm

what about putting an alternator on? Then you wouldn't have to worry about it. Don't they have kits for 200 bucks or so?
Back to top Go down
banchee6

banchee6

PostSubject: Re: Battery upgrade    Battery upgrade  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2013 7:49 pm

Wow!!! 700's don't have available alternators and mine goes deep underwater. Won't work
Back to top Go down
Firefighter

Firefighter

PostSubject: Re: Battery upgrade    Battery upgrade  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2013 7:49 pm

banchee rides some really DEEP stuff and I don't think the alternator would handle that
Back to top Go down
banchee6

banchee6

PostSubject: Re: Battery upgrade    Battery upgrade  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2013 8:03 pm

I don't have a rhino, I have a hippo!!!!!
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

PostSubject: Re: Battery upgrade    Battery upgrade  - Page 2 Icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2013 9:48 pm

banchee6 wrote:
ok, i just re read the whole thing and you are saying with the disconnect or seperator.... Well what if i dont run that seperator and just hook them up parrallel????

Reason being is that i dont know if the seperator can handle being under water

Earlier in the thread, you were real concerned with overloading your stator and burning it up. I was answering that question, pointing out that the separator will disconnect the two batteries if the stator is not keeping up. There is no device named a "Disconnector", but rather a separator device that disconnects under certain conditions.

Yes, you can simply wire your batteries together in parallel. Both batteries will be permanently connected to your stator and pulling juice from it, just like you were visualizing. You have read of and are aware of the potential meltdown that you may experence if one of the batteries internally shorts out? It is defintely a rare thing, but still does happen (likely while you are peacefully sleeping :-). There are tradeoffs and you are now aware of them.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Battery upgrade    Battery upgrade  - Page 2 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Battery upgrade
Page 2 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3  Next