HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.
HOTRODRHINOFORUMS.COM

Yamaha Rhino

HomeHome  PortalPortal  Events  Latest imagesLatest images  SearchSearch  RegisterRegister  Log inLog in  

Welcome to the forum!! also check us out at hotrodforums.net

Who is online?
In total there are 30 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 30 Guests :: 2 Bots

None

Most users ever online was 207 on Tue Jun 11, 2013 11:13 pm
Latest topics
» forum back open for posting
Battery upgrade  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed Aug 16, 2023 1:17 pm by RADICAL RAM

» rhino 660 hid visionx headlights for sale
Battery upgrade  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 4:54 pm by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» New JBS Extreme sheave milling
Battery upgrade  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 1:28 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» NEW FORUM!
Battery upgrade  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeThu Dec 14, 2017 12:35 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
Battery upgrade  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 11:01 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Forgot what the new sites name is?????
Battery upgrade  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 10:59 am by WV Hot Rod Rhino

» Truck picture thread.
Battery upgrade  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 9:33 am by Tacoclaw

» go to new forum for tonight
Battery upgrade  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:50 am by chuddly

» First rhino 09 450
Battery upgrade  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri Dec 13, 2013 7:47 am by chuddly

Top posters
WV Hot Rod Rhino
Battery upgrade  - Page 3 Vote_lcapBattery upgrade  - Page 3 Voting_barBattery upgrade  - Page 3 Vote_rcap 
madmax 1
Battery upgrade  - Page 3 Vote_lcapBattery upgrade  - Page 3 Voting_barBattery upgrade  - Page 3 Vote_rcap 
REDRHINO64
ASPENDELLROVER
T.Rhino
123.bert0621
Firefighter
rhino727
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13
flimmy
Most Viewed Topics
Rhino 700 Electrical Problem - Solved!
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
NEW FORUM!
Sand Reeper
Hello hot rod forum
09 700 not charging when running
What will be edited to the new 'Hot Rod Forum'
go to new forum for tonight
Want Some Bigger Tires for the Rhino
How To Check Your Rhino 700 TPS
Most active topics
1st Annual Hot Rod Rhino Forums Ride Oct 4th-6th
ALBA 734 Big Bore for 2011 Rhino 700
Picture Gallery
Truck picture thread.
What do you do for a living ?
New Yamaha SXS coming June 11 2013??.
EZ Steer Power Steering install
BUMPERS rhino.... evergoing build thread
Looking for a better holeshot
Show Your House/Compound
Top posting users this week
No user
Search

Display results as :

Rechercher Advanced Search

Battery upgrade

Go down 
+19
rhino727
UnderDawg
Snorider
meats
chuddly
RhinoGT350
KJrhino
flimmy
madmax 1
SteveS
Kenny G
T.Rhino
ASPENDELLROVER
JBFIREMAN
Quadog
CUSTOMIZEDRHINO13
Firefighter
WV Hot Rod Rhino
banchee6
23 posters
Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3
AuthorMessage
UnderDawg

UnderDawg

Battery upgrade  - Page 3 Empty
PostSubject: Re: Battery upgrade    Battery upgrade  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2013 9:52 pm

I've given some thought to a 15 watt solar panel on the roof with the waterproof battery tender. I ran a similar setup on my boat.... Or would this be a waist of time and money on a Rhino?
Back to top Go down
rhino727

rhino727

PostSubject: Re: Battery upgrade    Battery upgrade  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2013 10:09 pm

don't know if the solar can take the pounding an stay together
Back to top Go down
banchee6

banchee6

PostSubject: Re: Battery upgrade    Battery upgrade  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2013 10:17 pm

Yea. That's my great luck ill wake up to a puddle of rhino in my shop. Lmao.

Thanks steveS for all the great info. I can wire just about anything basic but don't know why it works lol. Great guys on this BAD AZZ SITE!!!!!!!
Back to top Go down
Workhorserhino

Workhorserhino

PostSubject: Re: Battery upgrade    Battery upgrade  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2013 10:29 pm

My stator burned at 9 months old. Just like Steve said, burnted at coils bad coating. After that I added a second batt. Nothing fancy, small batt to run radio, and winch. The fellow at Battery Outlet said it would run the winch fine. I wooried cause its small. Probably 8" long 6" high and 3"wide. I installed a separator also. The one Steve says not to. He's right though, just didn't have the money for the other, twice the price. I cut the charge wire from the regulator and to the separator it went. I split the batts and the loads. Factory only does what it was designed to. Anything extra is wired to 2nd batt. I always have it hooked to a Battery Tender, to keep both Batts like new. I know its not the best set up, but what I could do at the time. But it works, for 3 yrs now no problems.
Steve would you give your explaintion of the dual regulator. If I remember correctly you did it on rf. I liked that system better than the 1315 isolator.
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

PostSubject: Re: Battery upgrade    Battery upgrade  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeFri May 17, 2013 11:19 pm

Workhorserhino wrote:
...........Steve would you give your explaintion of the dual regulator. If I remember correctly you did it on rf. I liked that system better than the 1315 isolator.
Ummm, yeah sure. I had completely forgotten about that alternative, and that is what I have been running for at least 5 years or so. Sheepish Grin.....

How that goes, is that you use another stock or aftermarket Rhino rectifier/regulator. You just parallel connect the 3 white wires going to the existing rectifier into the second rectifier. The output wire of the second unit is hooked into your aux battery through a 30 Amp fuse or circuit breaker. The ground wire from the second rectifier goes to the chassis. The aux battery ground cable goes to the chassis (or maybe better yet, to the same grounding point on the engine case as the stock battery), using 6 gauge size cable (same as the stock battery setup). You may want to put in a 100 Amp battery disconnect switch between the aux battery and the starter motor positive terminal, using 6 gauge cable again. This will allow you to use the aux battery to crank the engine over, completely independently of the stock starter circuit, by simply sticking in the switch 'key' and twisting it.

This does not lighten the load on the stator, as it sees both batteries, just as it would if they were parallel connected. From what I have observed, it does not seem to be an overload that kills the stator, but rather just the luck of the draw..... Or, perhaps, defects in the manufacturing and/or design. It does offer a waterproof setup, just as good as the stock setup, for those amateur submariners that want to scare the fish. pirat

What fish, in their right mind, wouldn't be frightened by a brightly colored Hippo sized creature thrashing around in the water with them?

If you have not read the ground improvement article that I posted, you will want to do this no matter what. https://hotrodrhinoforums.forumotion.com/t1104-improve-your-grounding

For the 'start jumper switch', I used a HarborFreight item similar to this: http://www.harborfreight.com/heavy-duty-battery-cutoff-switch-66789.html This newer one seems to have a permanent knob, rather than a removable key. Marine stores sell this kind of thing as well, just a bit more money.
Back to top Go down
Workhorserhino

Workhorserhino

PostSubject: Re: Battery upgrade    Battery upgrade  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 6:32 pm

Thank you Steve, This is probably the best system for dual batts. Just solder and heat shrink all connections.
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

PostSubject: Re: Battery upgrade    Battery upgrade  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSat May 18, 2013 7:01 pm

Workhorserhino wrote:
Thank you Steve, This is probably the best system for dual batts. Just solder and heat shrink all connections.

I do agree. It has worked for me for quite some time now, but there is only the single one in captivity, so no guarantees Suspect

I put some pics together of my installation, should anyone want to try this out for themselves. These may give someone some ideas to start with. Enjoy.

Battery upgrade  - Page 3 Batterytrayanno800

Battery upgrade  - Page 3 Batterystrapanno640

Battery upgrade  - Page 3 Batterywiringanno800

Battery upgrade  - Page 3 Batteryshieldanno800
Back to top Go down
bubba53

bubba53

PostSubject: Re: Battery upgrade    Battery upgrade  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 7:59 am

Man...this is good info....thanks
Back to top Go down
Workhorserhino

Workhorserhino

PostSubject: Re: Battery upgrade    Battery upgrade  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeSun May 19, 2013 9:05 pm

Wow, very nice job on that set up. Clean and well laid out.
Back to top Go down
soarkrebel

soarkrebel

PostSubject: Re: Battery upgrade    Battery upgrade  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 7:42 pm

SteveS wrote:
Batteries can fail in all sorts of ways. One of those ways is to develop a shorted cell, which is not the most common failure mode. So it does not happen very often, but.... The healthy battery in the paralleled set then feeds all that it can into this shorted cell and that bad cell (or cells) gets very hot. Many hundreds of Amps can flow through the circuit until the good battery is depleted.
Actually I was just going to eliminate the small one and extend the cables.
Back to top Go down
SteveS

SteveS

PostSubject: Re: Battery upgrade    Battery upgrade  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeMon May 20, 2013 8:30 pm

soarkrebel wrote:
SteveS wrote:
Batteries can fail in all sorts of ways. One of those ways is to develop a shorted cell, which is not the most common failure mode. So it does not happen very often, but.... The healthy battery in the paralleled set then feeds all that it can into this shorted cell and that bad cell (or cells) gets very hot. Many hundreds of Amps can flow through the circuit until the good battery is depleted.

That certainly eliminates the possibility of a shorted cell misadventure.
Back to top Go down
soarkrebel

soarkrebel

PostSubject: Re: Battery upgrade    Battery upgrade  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeTue May 21, 2013 2:52 am

SteveS wrote:
soarkrebel wrote:
SteveS wrote:

That certainly eliminates the possibility of a shorted cell misadventure.
I have already tested with a bigger battery with my winch and what a difference. I have been working on it tonight and some LED cab lights...hopefully I can be done soon.
Back to top Go down
bump530

PostSubject: Re: Battery upgrade    Battery upgrade  - Page 3 Icon_minitimeWed May 22, 2013 4:45 pm

I had a red top optima given to me. I plan to install it under my seat and do away with the stock battery. Im going to install a buss bar in the original battery box to keep all my wiring ran to that point.

Hopefully it works out well. I think I may start keeping a battery tender on it to help with charging.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Battery upgrade    Battery upgrade  - Page 3 Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Battery upgrade
Page 3 of 3Go to page : Previous  1, 2, 3